The Executioner - your thoughts

Kotep

• 4 months later...

I find it near impossible to field an executioner, because for 9ss you way too many good alternatives when playing guild. Every time I think I have figured out a way to use executioner I find myself asking: Why not bring Judge/Francisco/Samael/Sidir/Ryle/Peacekeeper/Pale Rider/Dashel/anything instead?

The big dual clawed man is often misunderstood in how he is used effectively. Most people see his damage track and think he is a offensive piece. Where in reality he is a counter punch piece. I haven't played this game in ages so i am not hip to current trends/ things that cool kids play. But with him in general he is a piece you take to support the ranged offensive component of guild lists so that when stuff gets to jamming up your ranged components he is the model used to unjam them.

He in most of my experience is best used with Dita and Lucious. They have pieces and/or abilities that allow him to walk into combat and then activate and swing for the fences to clear stuff up. Because of his unfortunate movement stat he doesn't do well as a offensive missile that you can fire and forget about. They allow him the freedom (his ap) to get where you need him to kill whatever got threw your offensive package of characters that pew pew pew really well.

The big dual clawed man is often misunderstood in how he is used effectively. Most people see his damage track and think he is a offensive piece. Where in reality he is a counter punch piece. I haven't played this game in ages so i am not hip to current trends/ things that cool kids play. But with him in general he is a piece you take to support the ranged offensive component of guild lists so that when stuff gets to jamming up your ranged components he is the model used to unjam them.

He in most of my experience is best used with Dita and Lucious. They have pieces and/or abilities that allow him to walk into combat and then activate and swing for the fences to clear stuff up. Because of his unfortunate movement stat he doesn't do well as a offensive missile that you can fire and forget about. They allow him the freedom (his ap) to get where you need him to kill whatever got threw your offensive package of characters that pew pew pew really well.

Why not bring Judge/Francisco/Samael/Sidir/Ryle/Peacekeeper/Pale Rider/Dashel/anything instead? They all happen to have ranged attacks too, so they can actually do something if your opponent doesn't want to come to you.

Why not bring Judge/Francisco/Samael/Sidir/Ryle/Peacekeeper/Pale Rider/Dashel/anything instead? They all happen to have ranged attacks too, so they can actually do something if your opponent doesn't want to come to you.

None of those deny Df triggers or have a 0 that removes enemy scheme markers with an "unlimited" repeating trigger.

• Like 1

I'm still a "Sexy Exe" plus "McMourning and Nurses" kinda build. You can up his walk in the first turn, and push him forward with injection real quick to get him in position- then if you can get him engaged and pop Precise and Hallucinogens on him, he's ignoring a ton of DF'ives, and doing bonus damage to boot.

And the Scheme marker (0) action is a fantastic reason to bring him- midfield bully and Protect Territory and LitS counter. On top of DF trigger master slayers- Executioner vs. Colette makes Colette sad. (Granted, if he can catch her.) 

Maybe Executioner with a Death Marshal taxi?

ENinja

I tried him once with lucius and he was my MVP.

My opponent did some tricks with two metal gamin (I don't remember exactly what but they arrived near the centreline and popped some scheme marker).

So at the end of the turn (to delay the counter-attack and maximize the surprise element) I double walk with lucius (+ commanding presence on some minions) and used "what lackey are for" to switch places with the executioner ready to charge. Thank to trail of gore he killed the 2 gamin and discarded the enemy scheme marker. Then on the next turn he survived at a myranda/snake bomb attack, killed it in return and make some wounds on joss (came in reinforcement) before dying in hero.

My big problem with the Excecutioner is that the Peacekeeper is just a few points more and is so much more impressive. Flurry and Advanced Protocol just eat Trail of Gore's lunch. You don't need the enemy to provide you scheme markers for Flurry to work, and you don't need a successful cast for AP. Add onto that the fact that the Peacekeeper does more damage, is faster, is *much* tougher, and has a quite reasonable gun... I just don't see what the Executioner brings to the table that could possibly trump the Peacekeeper, aside from situational trigger suppression.

You think an Executioner is scary with McMourning? Have a nurse give a Peacekeeper Downers, then accomplice a Witchling to remove the negative twist. Watch your opponents break their faces smashing into an armor 4, hard to wound model.

There is one thing that might save the Excecutioner in the upcoming book: the Mounted Guild Guard. For whatever reason, despite the Executioner's stumpy legs, his charge of 7 means he is eligible to tag along for Cavalry Charges, giving him a quite respectable 14 inch threat range, with the possibility for chain activating, plus a positive twist to Df from Mount Up. If I ever do make a model for an Executioner, he's going to be on a horse and carrying an actual headsman's axe.

Just used Executioner with McCabe in a tournament round and he was the star of the show. Giving him nimble and armor takes away a lot of the deficiencies he has without having to up his cost at all. I was also able to have trail of gore go off 2 or 3 times in my match. I'd charge something and if I didn't kill it that turn, I was trail of goring to finish it off next turn then charging or nimble +charging to the next target. it worked out pretty great.