The Executioner - your thoughts

Kotep

Hi there, just curious to know if in anyone's experience the executioner makes a solid, worth while beat stick?

I'm looking at the model and I'm on the fence of whether or not to get it.

I'm not a huge fan.  He's very frail and his damage output isn't particularly impressive considering, with no range either.  Ignoring defensive triggers is sometimes a great trick though and comes in handy vs certain opponents.

I've always seen a lot of potential in the sexy exey... but he's such a target! I've seen him be successful in one of the dozen or so times before he got dropped. 

Polish has got it right, too. If you use a nurse to give a guy -twist and armor, then give the exe a way to get around armor/h2w, he'll start chewing people up.

He's also good against people who's survivability comes from defensive triggers, and scheme denial.

Good model, versatile. Best with some support.

ENinja

I am having hard time to fit him into my lists. For some reason I always think I find something better. He's quite costly and only does one thing and that's killing, on defence side, he's def 5 with 10 wounds, so if something gets a go at him without him getting a chance to heal, he'll go down quite fast I think.

I've never played with one, because every time I consider taking one, the squishy makes me want to add Lead Lined Vest, and that means it's the same cost as the Peacekeeper. And for me, the Peacekeeper is a comparative no-brainer. Faster, better control (with grapple gun), similar in pretty much every other category. Unless I wanted to take 2 melee monsters, I can't see past the PK.

• Like 1

I've never played with one, because every time I consider taking one, the squishy makes me want to add Lead Lined Vest, and that means it's the same cost as the Peacekeeper. And for me, the Peacekeeper is a comparative no-brainer. Faster, better control (with grapple gun), similar in pretty much every other category. Unless I wanted to take 2 melee monsters, I can't see past the PK.

I think LLC just costs too much for the armor.  A discount beatstick really needs to keep its discount.  I will admit the Peacekeeper is this guy's biggest competition, particularly since he also has some great scheme marker denial.

I think that the squishiness is somewhat made up for by healing itself. As long as it doesn't die, it can come back fairly well, and for the cost, the executioner has a lot of killing power. He's a safety-glass cannon.

Healing is just extra wounds, and Armor is just extra wounds for every time you're attacked.  I personally like my extra wounds a little more reactive myself. ;)

His damage output isn't really all that high overall sadly.  The Execute trigger and ability to ignore defensive triggers are definitely the most important differences in his damage output, but I'm not sure either is really worth it compared to the Peacekeeper for 2 more or even Francisco at the same cost.

Yes. And isn't it like 3ss.......expensive. Although it also comes with Unimpeded........which is really good when combined with her not needing LoS to Charge.

No, pretty sure its only 1 SS.  Vendetta is her most expensive upgrade at Limited and 2 SS for reason I don't totally get.

It's probably my number 1 updgrade for her.  Often I just blind charge her up the table first turn just to get a push from much of my army.  It's definitely solid, an unimpeded is the main reason I take it anyway.

Vendetta is Limited so you have to decide between it and the Badge, for offensive vs defensive Lady Justice.

It's probably my number 1 updgrade for her.  Often I just blind charge her up the table first turn just to get a push from much of my army.  It's definitely solid, an unimpeded is the main reason I take it anyway.

Not sure if you make that mistake (could be your wording) but I'd like to point out that this is not Warmachine (where charging in the first turn at something in the opposing deployment zone is a common tactic). You can't charge if nothing is in range, as you can only declare legal charges.

Vendetta is Limited so you have to decide between it and the Badge, for offensive vs defensive Lady Justice.

Not sure if you make that mistake (could be your wording) but I'd like to point out that this is not Warmachine (where charging in the first turn at something in the opposing deployment zone is a common tactic). You can't charge if nothing is in range, as you can only declare legal charges.

Definitely a mistake on my part.  I didn't see anything where you can't charge something if its not in range in the rules.  I guess I hadn't looked because its not really ever beneficial to do so over double walking, except in the case of Lady J who can use it to push her army up the table.

It's on Page 37 in the rule book: declaring actions. The target must be in range, unless otherwise specified. On page 39, the charge action is listed. Again, it clearly states that you have to end the move in engagement range, or the action is forbidden. Comes with pre-measuring.

I find this to be a common source of confusion, since failed charges are such a major element of both Warhammer and Warmachine.

It's on Page 37 in the rule book: declaring actions. The target must be in range, unless otherwise specified. On page 39, the charge action is listed. Again, it clearly states that you have to end the move in engagement range, or the action is forbidden. Comes with pre-measuring.

I find this to be a common source of confusion, since failed charges are such a major element of both Warhammer and Warmachine.

Yeah, I just assumed an action could still fail for being out of range, simply because even with premeasuring, terrain can alter movement in ways that aren't completely clear until you actually move the model.

I think LLC just costs too much for the armor.

Personally, I've found the LLC to work fine as it is for certain models, like the Executioner, who need just a titch more to get them to the place they can do their job. The PK is damn fine at his job, but I've had excellent luck getting the job done with my Exxy. But I'd take the PK all day long in a Hoffball crew and take Exxy with Perdita and have Abuela turn him into Family turn 1 for funnsies.

On a related topic, it'd be nice if guild had an upgrade that allowed you to give the Guild Marshall characteristic to an enforcer. Maybe a 1 or 2 point upgrade with another ability that can be used by discarding the upgrade?

Agreed. That would be nice. Of course, not everyone can have something like that.