Help with Ophelia list

Ikvar

I will start out by apologising for starting so many threads, but I hope other people can get some use out of my threads aswell ^^

I have never played with Ophelia nor have a ever played with a pure dmg master, so I was hoping you guys could help me out with some generel ideas for lists etc.

So far I am thinking of trying this list:

Gremlins Crew - 50 - Scrap

Ophelia LaCroix -- 3 Pool
 +Dirty Cheater [1]

Young LaCroix X 2 [4]
Bayou Gremlin [3]
Bayou Gremlin [3]
Francois LaCroix [7]
 +Dirty Cheater [1]
Lenny [9]
McTavish [10]
Whiskey Golem [10]
 +Angry Drunk [2]

Bayou for schemes, Whiskey Golem to act as a "tank" to help out Mctavish. I thought about using "Ooo, A Girl" to drag around Lenny to get auto Thinking luck and some extra protection.

Honestly I would drop the Golem freeing up 12 SS to use on other models like Lightning Bugs, Gators, or Boars. Unless you really plan on using Lenny for a good reason I'd drop him as well to open up a total of 21 SS. Then I might get 3 Rooster Riders. Those guys are good. Ophelia doesn't really need her Young but they can be useful for outactivation purposes. As a matter of fact you can drop everything and get the old Major and a bunch of pigs if you really want to. All really depends on the strat and schemes.

I'd keep Lenny, switch Golem for Gracie + Saddle to ferry Lenny around to where his :rams: are gonna be most useful. Ditch the young for a SoC and switch McTavish for either Trixiebelle or Sammy. Trixie for the initiative cheating + Grmlin lure is amazing, Sammy to take Ophelia's gun and use the (0) to move Ophelia into position and because Jinx is amazing.

Why McTavish, may I ask?

The Golem is great. It is both our best high pointed beat stick and really quick to boot. A really flexible piece of kit.

Basic Bayou Gremlins are always great for objectives (every Gremlin player, regardless of Master should have at least four). Seconding the Lightning Bugs, just for the amount of armour that is knocking around these days.

Gracie with the Saddle is good with Ophelia, meaning that Ophelia has a 16 inch move (granted, with an activation in between) before she decides to shoot. More than anything. I'd recommend Merris. She already has insane movement, which when combined with Ophelia's tricks with the Kin make her the faction's most flexible interacting piece.

Good shout on leaving the other Kin elsewhere. Outside of Fran and Merris, I don't think the others are much cop at all. (inb4 Rob mentions Sammy)

Honestly though, I think making a set list for all comers in M2e is folly. There are far too many variables around each game. Planning a core set of models is fine, but what players should be asking themselves instead is this - what is going to be in my case?

Rob got here before me. Lame.

Thanks for all the great answers!

I have a bit of a bromance going on with Mctavish and his shooting into melee ability- I have very good experience with taking a tank up the map, and have Mctavish shoot at them while they are tied to the tank :)

The Gracie and Lenny combo is awsome, but I keep them for my Wong list with glowy etc. I think the Whiskey Golem is the better choice with Ophelia.

What about this list:

Ophelia LaCroix -- 5 Pool
 +Dirty Cheater [1]

Bayou Gator [5]
Bayou Gremlin [3]
Bayou Gremlin [3]
Francois LaCroix [7]
 +Dirty Cheater [1]
McTavish [10]
Merris LaCroix [6]
Whiskey Golem [10]
 +Angry Drunk [2]

And I am not locking myself into just this list, I just like to have some lists ready when I am new to a master. When I then start to understand them, I can be a lot more creative with the models :)

Ophelia LaCroix -- 4 Pool
 +Dirty Cheater [1]

Young LaCroix [2]
Bayou Gator [5]
Bayou Gator [5]
Bayou Gator [5]
Francois LaCroix [7]
 +Dirty Cheater [1]
McTavish [10]
 +Hexed Among You [1]
 +Hide In The Mud [1]
Whiskey Golem [10]
 +Angry Drunk [2]

Gives you more use out of Mctavish and lets you advance deploy the gators. You could also swap the Golem out for Trixie and "Lure" McTavish for free movement to allow him to shoot into those engagements on turn 1. That or just drop Hexed for Cute Critters so they can attack out of turn with positives. 

Don't waste points on bayou gremlins. Ophelia does almost nothing to support them.

Don't waste points on the golem. Dude doesn't hit hard enough or tank enough to justify his cost, especially when you splurge on the upgrade.

Don't take Tavish unless your bringing along swamp critters to enable loyal scouts. If your going the swamp critters route consider taking hexed and/or playing Zorida.

• Like 1

I don't get it - what's wrong with the usual kin? Rami is good in that though his min damage sucks, he is a big psychological threat with that long range of his and excellent in finishing targets. Raphael - OK, here Burt is kinda just better. Which is a bit of a shame, really. But Raphael isn't bad - maybe you could argue that he is one SS too expensive at max - he won't lose you games.

I just won a game against a really tough Lynch player with (50SS)

Ophelia (Cache 7)

- Dirty Cheater

- Liquid Bravery

Young LaCroix

Francois

- Dirty Cheater

- Stilts

Raphael

Rami

Slop Hauler

Slop Hauler

Bayou Gremlin

Bayou Gremlin

Bayou Gremlin

I find the Bayous excellent in upping the activation count as well as in doing stuff like Distraction, Cursed Object and whatnot. Well worth it for two or three, IME. I also like a high cache for Ophelia since she is death incarnate when going for Rams. Once I got into position I killed two models per turn with her.

My method of thinking when looking at Ophelia:

She's a Reckoning/ (Turf War/Squatters) choice. She kills things in the face and has reasonable movement and interact tech through her weapons, so the others are options. Ideally you'll want to build a crew around that.

Trixie (Gun for a Lady, Bounty)

- You go first, you have better position tech, and you have Trigger card draw off of killing things (which people should be doing)... seems good right?

Rami (Dirty Cheater)

- Rami is one of my favorites. Dirty Cheater and Reckless should be offsetting each other so it's really a matter of "Do I focus/shoot or shoot 3 times?"

Lenny

- Lenny just smooths out SO much of this crew. Dumb Luck for everyone, Lenny positions Rami where you need him Turn 1 with Toss, damage reduction. There's a lot to like about this guy.

Personal preferences: I like Pierre, Merris, and Raphael for build options to look from. Francois is okay, but he never really clicked for me. Old Cranky is a viable option (especially if you go with current avatar Ophelia). Generally Lacroix crews run a bit light as I go for killing over outactivation. When playing this crew, you play like 1.5 Perdita.

Don't waste points on bayou gremlins. Ophelia does almost nothing to support them.

Don't waste points on the golem. Dude doesn't hit hard enough or tank enough to justify his cost, especially when you splurge on the upgrade.

Don't take Tavish unless your bringing along swamp critters to enable loyal scouts. If your going the swamp critters route consider taking hexed and/or playing Zorida.

Agree with all the above apart from the Bayou Gremlins (although, agree that Ophelia doesn't offer much support), can't say they're a waste of points for the same reason as Math above

Ophelia doesn't need to support the Bayou Gremlins. Tehy're cheap, throwaway models that you can send off to do an objective and then not have to worry about. As it had been said many times before in this thread, Ophelia's job is to beat things on the head!

The Golem has a Ml of six and has the most consistent and high (outside of triggers) damage track in the faction. He does hit hard. He can get up to Df9 if he wants to and is quick to boot. The upgrade is an over indulgence for a model whoes main strength is being able to turn his hand to whatever task he needs. The Golem hits, tanks and moves!

Usual Kin? Their low damage is dreadful. You need to hit rams or invest in Lenny to make them worth it. For the same points, you can get Burt who is (nearly) as effective at range and hits much harder when he needs to.

I found the gun upgrade for Trixie a bit redudant, althouigh it is a better gun than most of those on the Kin. I find I just want to use her AP to make things run away.

What issue do you have with Fran, Brewmaster? Even over Ophelia, he is the most consistently damaging member of the Kin.

If your taking a gubbin as cheap filler cause you've got no way to burn through those last few points that's fine and dandy. A little chaff is probably going to serve you better than just three more stones in Ophelia's cache. I maintain that going out of your way to deliberately buy more chaff is a mistake, particularly when you're doing so with a master who can do nothing to make that chaff anything but throwaway models.

The golem can make an attempt at tanking, beating, or moving. I find the 'or' their to be an important distinction. If you commit him he's in serious danger of getting scrapped as he throws two half decent punches. if you tank mode that one golem charge isn't enough of a threat to merit anything more than ignoring the big lug. Then, If you want use him as an objective runner he's still not going to cover the same ground as a pair of lowly gubbins, as much as I happen to dislike them they at least can be in two places at once.

• 2 months later...

Ophelia's is the only crew I have for Gremlins so I've gotten used to just having the kin and a pair of slop haulers.  When my Somer box finally gets shipped, I'll get a clue how to use the more "Vanillia" gremlins with the kin.  But I'm getting a lot of ideas how the mix and match action will open up some new options.

Models I have...

Ophelia

Francios

Raphael

Rami

Pere

Young Lacriox x 3

Slop Haulers x 2

How I typically run them:

Ophelia LaCroix -- 7 Pool
 +Dirty Cheater [1]

Young LaCroix X 3 [6]
Francois LaCroix [7]
 +Dirty Cheater [1]
Pere Ravage [6]
Rami LaCroix [7]
Raphael LaCroix [7]
 +Gremlin-see [1]
Slop Hauler [5]
Slop Hauler [5]

The full cache lets you add/change the upgrades that make sense for the scheme/strategy mix.  The above is just a generic 50ss list using the limited models I've got.  If aiming for a smaller game I drop Pere and a young lacroix or two.

Ophelia, Raphael and Francois go in and tear things up while Rami plinks targets and holds ground.  The young can either tag along with O and/or hang back with Rami to add their meager fire power to the mix.  I use O to catapult Pere into the opponent to tie things up for a turn and soften them up when he inevitably bites it and goes explodey.  The Haulers follow the action as frontline medics and slopping the enemy when they make the mistake of giving me targets.  O's aim high ability lets her and her bro's shoot the smeg out of what ever Pere is able to engage.

The main issue with a kin heavy list is that you can't take casualties like Somer's crew can.  You've got an enforcer heavy list that can dish out tons of damage but requires that they take a lot of damage along the way to do it.  I consider the Haulers mandatory to keep all these little green psychos on their feet.  That really makes the kin feel very different from Somer's gang.

I'm looking forward to adding Lenny to the Kin to see how powerful that Aura of Dumb Luck triggering Rams turns out.

-DavicusPrime