Clawz Paints! (Slowly)

Clawz

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks! The Pan-O stuff is awesome, and boy do I know the pain of too many models to do. I have just the biggest pile, and more inbound that's been ordered! Luckily I've been in a painting mood of late, so I'm burning through the Icestorm. Just got the Alguaciles painted up and soon to be photographed this last week!

• 2 weeks later...

It's time for more completed minis!

I'm having a weird time of trying to photograph things, causing odd blurriness or weird lighting effects. I'm amazed how much a change of location can mess with model photography!

That said, Geckos! First up is Sankuru in "Huntress":

Mk12_1.jpg  
 From Geckos 

I left the armour gloss, and the weapons drab. I figure these guys are trying to be as loud and aggressive as possible, drawing fire from the squishier infantry. Who knows, it might even have real tabletop distraction benefits!

Mk12_2.jpg  
 From Geckos 

You can also see here the various decals I've used, imitating the various markings on every military vehicle ever. In this case, they warn about what I assume are the Zero-G mobility pods on their backs, suggesting it might be good not to get near them. There's similar ones on the guns (at this size, ejecting a magazine could itself be an injurious act!) and inside the left thigh, meant to be a warning/advice to pilots getting in.

Next up is Mwene in "Space Gecko":

Combi_2.jpg  
 From Geckos 

Not much different to say for this one: you can kind of see, I've been working at refining my NMM-with-metallics technique, so the peculiar jump from Chainmail to Mithril Silver isn't as obvious.

Combi_1.jpg  
 From Geckos 

Likewise on this one, warning labels on what I assume is the barrel/danger zone of the Chain Colt. Descriptions of that weapon make it clear you do NOT want to be in front of it when it's triggered!

Combi_3.jpg  
 From Geckos 

Finally, the aforementioned warning label inside the thigh to assist pilots with getting in and out safely. I've also finished up Alguaciles, photos of which can be seen on my blog, Counting Rivets - I may do another post of pics of them on here eventually.

I've got another pair of Malifaux crews purchased, but neither assembled nor converted. I'm waiting for the next painting contest to go to town on one of them, and waiting until I'm in the right state of mind to attempt the other. In the meantime there's loads more Infinity to be painted!

Edited by Clawz
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

At long last another update! I had previously done a post on my blog about how I paint red, which you're welcome to wander over and see, and the culmination of that post is these guys:

Mobile%252520Brigada%2525201%252560.jpg  
 From Mobile Brigada

Mobile%252520Brigada%2525202.jpg  
 From Mobile Brigada

Mobile Brigada are heavy infantry, and some of the heaviest Nomads can get pre-tag. (Possibly heaviest, I'd have to look.) As such, I did them up almost identical to the Geckos: Loud, obvious, and hopefully the focus of fire over the squishier line troops.

I wish I could say the pile of unpainted models is reducing, but that'd be an outright lie. I'm trying to swing back and get my quartet of dire trolls finished up, then it's back to Infinity for a while I think. I'm hoping to jump into Malifaux painting again, once I see what the next contest entries are, so I can decide if I want to hold off for that!

Enjoy and keep painting!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well, after a significant hiatus of doing various things (including forgetting to post pictures to here) I have managed to start fooling around with laser-cut terrain! I very much dislike mdf: it's toxic to cut, not superbly durable, soaks in water and swells when you try to paint it...

So why not try basswood? Natural wood, locally grown for me, cheap, and makes awesome things come out the other side like this:

20160110_201707.jpg  
 From Basswood Crates 

Which becomes this when assembled:

20160110_215430.jpg  
 From Basswood Crates 

I still need to run a paint test on it, but it's so durable, and doesn't seem to swell up at all when painted. I do have some fear that the grain will show in spots, but that's what a test paint is for! (And even if it does, I'm sure starting the painting process with a coat of varnish will seal that all in.)

• Like 1