Montressor is worth 11ss because....?

Barnaberible

Now fair enough I've only had 3 games with Jacks box set but I'm not loving Montressor. I'm generally running him with his fearful whisper and creeping terror so he's clocking in at 11ss and I feel there might be better options for this cost.

I'm having problems with finding a role for him, the pull em tight trigger on toss the noose can easily be countered by dropping cards and without the crow built in I'm struggling to get use out of this and while fearful whispers is great I often end up sucking my own models out of position, and I get the feeling if I leave him isolated so this dosent occur it may be a death sentence for him with only 8 wounds and no real defensive abilities.

I haven't used him in conjunction with a hanged, which I can see being effective, but so it wants to be at a cost of 20ss.

So before I pack him back into my case to keep the nothing beast company, am I missing something with him?

I haven't played him, but was actually looking at him for Tara, since he's got no inherent interaction with any Tormented models, outside of an upgrade.

He definitely looks strongest with the Hanged, though, since Comfort in Fear works best with multiple horror duels, and otherwise he's mostly just a decent hitter, but models like Taelor are better if you just want to beat things senseless.

I feel like, since you want him relatively close to the front and he does look pretty fragile, putting the creeping terror on model further back would be a good start, as would dropping fearful whispers  since it sounds like it's been difficult to use (so instead focus on his core abilities).

It looks like his 2 modes of fighting are moving up and focusing one of his attacks, or generating a lot of nickel-and-dime damage from auras through comfort and choking death, plus the Hanged forcing more tests. With a DF of 6, have you considered making his turn Nimble, Comfort, Defensive Stance?

I tend to not run fearful whispers unless I'm facing a melee centric opposition, as they want to get in close anyway, you might as well make them suffer for it.  You should be using Jack Daw's tormented push to move your own models out the way before having Montressor pull people in. Using nimble is also required to ensure your own models don't get sucked in unless you want them too (Drowned would be good in the ensuing combat)

• Like 1

I generally run him naked, though I'm getting more and more tempted by Scramble with him, with a 50mm base I think it would make him easier to maneuver (being able to move through trees and difficult terrain is awesome) and with Nimble it means he can cover huge distances.

I've played him a bit now, and he does really well. Very good early game as a damage dealer especially with Papa Loco throwing him dynamite. Great late game as a fast objective grabber. He's very fast, last wednesday I had him take out the opponents slop hauler 2nd Activation of the game, which definitely shut down Som'er's summoning.

• 1 month later...

I'm also looking at him from a Tara point of view. -1Wp and his "pull people around" mechanic are what are drawing me to him. Using Dead of Winter for another -2Wp, it feels like your opponent may not get a whole lot of actions out of a model standing near Montresor and Tara. Maybe with the Nothing Beast nearby for Terrifying (All)...lot of eggs in a close basket though.

A 12" charge-threat range is pretty intense with Scramble!