When will this game be available to non-kickstarters

Dreamchipper

Wyrd/Nathan, has there been any kind of progress on this on the shipping/customs end of this? The KS hasn't received an update in around three weeks, and with the trickle of new information through e-retailers and magazines many backers are growing antsy again about the lack of communication.

As a more general aside, an interesting bit of info from that trickle: the higher price of the TtB Fate Deck compared to the retro deck may have something to do with this, from the item description on The War Store: "Combining the special Malifaux suits, as well as a major arcana of Through the Breach art, this Fate Deck is sure to flip Red Jokers!" (emphasis mine). If the phrase "major arcana" is used intentionally and correctly, that could mean additional cards in the deck, expanding it into a tarot-style deck of sorts. Alternatively, as one backer on the TtB forums indicated, they may have mistakenly meant court cards (Jack/11, Queen/12, King/13). We'll have to wait for a further preview, or the item itself, to say more.

Also, the item description for the Fatemaster's Kit describes it as containing the Fatemaster's Screen and the Deluxe Character Sheets, with no further contents described. Additionally, though I suspect this was just a hiccup, Miniatures Market still shows the "Fated Alamanac" cover, while The War Store shows a corrected cover, so I feel that there's a good chance that issue was well taken-care of. The many typos in the copy written for the pre-order items is a small disappointment, though; hopefully they were errors on the shop-level, since the errors differ between retailers.

Wyrd/Nathan, has there been any kind of progress on this on the shipping/customs end of this? The KS hasn't received an update in around three weeks, and with the trickle of new information through e-retailers and magazines many backers are growing antsy again about the lack of communication.

As a more general aside, an interesting bit of info from that trickle: the higher price of the TtB Fate Deck compared to the retro deck may have something to do with this, from the item description on The War Store: "Combining the special Malifaux suits, as well as a major arcana of Through the Breach art, this Fate Deck is sure to flip Red Jokers!" (emphasis mine). If the phrase "major arcana" is used intentionally and correctly, that could mean additional cards in the deck, expanding it into a tarot-style deck of sorts. Alternatively, as one backer on the TtB forums indicated, they may have mistakenly meant court cards (Jack/11, Queen/12, King/13). We'll have to wait for a further preview, or the item itself, to say more.

Also, the item description for the Fatemaster's Kit describes it as containing the Fatemaster's Screen and the Deluxe Character Sheets, with no further contents described. Additionally, though I suspect this was just a hiccup, Miniatures Market still shows the "Fated Alamanac" cover, while The War Store shows a corrected cover, so I feel that there's a good chance that issue was well taken-care of. The many typos in the copy written for the pre-order items is a small disappointment, though; hopefully they were errors on the shop-level, since the errors differ between retailers.

Near as I can tell reading through the Pdf, there is no need nor mention of additional cards.

There isn't a need for them, having played it. I can't actually figure out a use for any extras, as the things you need cards for are:

-The communal deck (Uses a standard deck)

-Twist decks (you still need one of each number for the four suits, as you can use any depending on how you make your character)

They could be cheat sheets or something, but those seem like poor candidates for artwork as they'll have writing on! I suppose you could have Ace to 13 with all four suits, delete as applicable, but that seems odd. Especially when you can adjust cards so you end up with two eights (of different suits) for examplel, if you're careful with your talents.

I could be wrong, and I'll be interested to see what they are for if there are any extras (since I clearly can't figure it out), but my bet is on it being a thematic number phrase rather than the literal thing - a major arcana of art, meaning a bunch (possibly 22) of the cards in the normal deck have exclusive artwork on. Given how pricey artwork is, that would easily add a few dollars to the price of a deck.

Agreed.  Getting Hannah pics 3 weeks ago was nice in a "whelp, they're still alive" way, but we're now over 2 months since the "we're on someone else's schedule" comment.

I'm seeing this on more and more sites with a similar target date of June, which leads me to believe that either they're all just copying the same original source that may have been made up (entirely possible), or they share a distributor and this is what they've been told.

If TtB is intended to be at retail in less than 2 months, then presumably the backers should be getting their packages shortly?  And if not, it'd still be nice to hear what the time line is looking like.

Yes, this information is being gleaned from outside sources and based on assumptions, but lacking anything else to go on, it's all we have.  It was ventured back in March that 'giving estimates just makes people cranky so they don't do it', but surely after said 2 month time frame, *something* has firmed up along the way?

Keep in mind that there are plans for 7 more books, plus articles in the Chronicles. There will be plenty more Advanced Pursuits as time goes on. Plus the FM Guide gives advice on creating new Advanced Pursuits.

I thought that there were only plans for 6 more? By my reckoning, there's Into the Bayou, focusing on the Bayou and the Necropolis while providing info on Fated Bayou Gremlins; From Nightmares, focusing on native denizens and wild places while offering info on Fated Neverborn; Under Quarantine, focusing on the Quarantine Zone and necromancy while providing info on Fated Stitched; Within the Steam, focusing on enlarging the armory and elemental magic sections and exploring the more steampunk-ish aspects of the setting while offering info on Fated Invested; In the Guild Wars, which raises the issue of the Great Guild Wars flaring back up Earthside, discussing the effects and secrets of that war; and Beyond Fate, which is designed to take the game to newer, higher stakes, providing rules for Avatars (and, I hope, providing expanded rules for playing Fated after their Fates are completed). I don't think I missed any, unless you were referring to the Penny Dreadfuls. They could have additional rules stuff like Advanced Pursuits, if such a thing is appropriately tied to their themes, I'd wager.

I'll admit, Forar, it's starting to convince me of a possible June release. It's exciting, in that it means I might actually have the game and accompaniments in hand relatively soon (which means I will finally be able to convince my friends to give the game a try, due to their preference to print books), but it makes for building frustration about the lack of information/provision regarding a projected send date. I know that it is not of the same caliber (that is to say, shops require a release date of some kind, ditto distributors, by virtue of the sales model), but it does kind of bother me that (if the whole June thing is the company line, and not something going on with a distributor) Wyrd is willing or able to give a projected date of June to wholesalers/retailers, but not give a date to backers beyond "when it arrives".

We're getting close to another month between updates on the KS (the last update, while offering up something people were interested in and excited by, not offering any information about progress, save for those few that pledged bigtime for a painted Hannah), and just shy of two months since Nathan's comment about being on someone else's schedule. If something has progressed since then, I'd love to know, and if nothing has progressed due to issues with transoceanic shipping or customs, I'd like to know that too (and I feel that a fair chunk of backers would be understanding of such a thing, dealing with customs is a nightmare sometimes). Heck, given that everything is at the printers (presumably, given what we know, I'd wager this to be the case), then there would surely be art samples or renders that could be offered from things like the FM screen, the enhanced character sheets, or the fate deck that could be shown or offered in the meantime in conjunction with a progress update. I know I've said this before more than a month ago, as have others, but opening up more frequent and transparent communications would go a long way towards assuaging the fears of some, but the longer radio silence continues the more likely that, for others, any such action will be too late, as they'll have already made their mind up. 

The product will not be available for retail before Kickstarters are taken care of - I've already made that clear. 

I could put an update today going 'hey, books are coming in ..' but I'm not going to. I'm going to wait till they arrive this afternoon (if tracking isn't lying) and come next Monday will post pictures of the product in hand, etc - which I'm pretty excited about personally. Not everything has shown up, but we're pretty close. 

In the mean time, the 'Wyrd has screwed me over and over' thread has run its course. The product has been created, paid for, and in the hands of other vendors right now (some of which I could strangle). When it's in mine, it'll be knocked out to kickstarter backers as quickly as we can, and the warehouse knows that that will be a mandatory overtime week to make that happen. If we could snap our fingers and have it done and sorted - I most certainly would. 

• Like 5

Just one more question please. Is the list of starting Pursuits the same or it has any additions\changes?image-189528-full.jpg?1354843067

It's missing Scrapper, but I think that's it otherwise.

And Nathan, thanks for your patience and communication, it's much appreciated. :)

• Like 1

The product will not be available for retail before Kickstarters are taken care of - I've already made that clear. 

I could put an update today going 'hey, books are coming in ..' but I'm not going to. I'm going to wait till they arrive this afternoon (if tracking isn't lying) and come next Monday will post pictures of the product in hand, etc - which I'm pretty excited about personally. Not everything has shown up, but we're pretty close. 

In the mean time, the 'Wyrd has screwed me over and over' thread has run its course. The product has been created, paid for, and in the hands of other vendors right now (some of which I could strangle). When it's in mine, it'll be knocked out to kickstarter backers as quickly as we can, and the warehouse knows that that will be a mandatory overtime week to make that happen. If we could snap our fingers and have it done and sorted - I most certainly would. 

Why not post this over at the Kickstarter website?  

• Like 1

*facepalm*

This is a perfect example, right here.

"Not everything has shown up, but we're pretty close."

You know what would be awesome?  Just telling us what that list is comprised of.

"So, the books should arrive today, we've had the minis eating up warehouse space for the last two weeks, and the rest of the print stuff is due in next week."  I simply don't understand why this needs to be so adversarial.  Yes, it's natural to respond defensively with the tone some people have taken over the last year and a half(ish), but at the same time, providing this sort of information once or twice a month without prompting would go a hell of a long way towards building backer confidence.  The way that post reads, it sounds like they're about to start shipping in a week or two, which is awesome!

So why the hell are both sides apparently nothing but angry and frustrated about it?  That alone would make an awesome update; finally knowing that it's not all sitting in some print/production queue on another continent.

• Like 4