Nix an the Red Joker

ajay29

Question

Hmm. I actually feel like the Red Joker would still deal severe+weak, but wouldn't belabor the point. I mean, you're not dealing severe damage then weak damage with a RJ, you're dealing it all at once; it's just calculated based on what the severe and weak damage values are for the Attack. Plus it's one card in a 54 card deck that would overwrite the Ability. Probably not worth arguing, though.

• Like 1

Hmm. I actually feel like the Red Joker would still deal severe+weak, but wouldn't belabor the point. I mean, you're not dealing severe damage then weak damage with a RJ, you're dealing it all at once; it's just calculated based on what the severe and weak damage values are for the Attack. Plus it's one card in a 54 card deck that would overwrite the Ability. Probably not worth arguing, though.

"Jokers and the damage flip", p.47 in the rulebook, states: "The Red Joker always deals an amount of damage equal to the Severe plus the Weak damage. Damage that is staged down (such as models hit by blast damage) becomes moderate.

The rule seem to support both theories. It do say that it is damage equal to severe plus weak. However, it also says that damage can be staged down.

I would probarly still say that it should be severe plus weak, but I don't think it's a strong claim.

So your interpretation is the only one that could possibly be correct, yes?

You have an opinion of what a Red Joker does according to the written rules, other people have another. How about you try not to degrade those other people's opinions by insinuating they don't bother to read the rules.

It's right there. Clearly written. Not degrading anyones opinion i am clearly saying its wrong. You are allowed to think how you will write what you will.

And no my interpretation is not my way or the highway. But to claim Severe+weak=Severe. Is wrong. Nix reduces severe damage which is defined as 11/12/13. Where is the "wiggle room" its clear and concise.

So please calm .

In this case, I can see it working either way. Both sides have some validity to their arguments, and I can see it working either way. I know which I would pick, but I could see either being valid.

You are of course free to disagree with me and others, but declaring everyone is wrong and you know better is a dangerous path to go down. Perhaps you will be right, perhaps you will be wrong.

In the meantime, let's not be throwing comments like 'rules are a waste of ink to some people' about. They are not constructive, and if people can't be constructive and reasonable in their arguments I'll shut the thread, regardless of my opinion on who is right or wrong.

Why would the RJ be different than the BJ? They are both their own entry on the table. The BJ isn't 'Weak reduced to zero' so why would the RJ be considered Severe?

I have to go with the RJ is it's own thing which is a total of whatever severe damage is, plus whatever weak damage is....it isn't severe...reduced to moderate...plus weak.

My .02.

• Like 1

True. That's why I can see it going that way.

But my reasoning was that the table says:

Black Joker No damage

11-13 Severe

Red Joker Severe + Weak

So it does actually specifically say severe in the RJ bit, just like it does for 11-13 (the black just says 'no damage', which to me makes it a different thing as it doesn't mention any other level of severity in it's damage list). If raspy flips the black, it counts as a red, so it's the same issue.

Is that severe + weak vulnerable to becoming moderate + weak (since you can't cause severe on nix), or is it just how the final number is worked out and not affected by that ability as a result? Like I say, I can see both sides on this one.

• Like 1

Is that severe + weak vulnerable to becoming moderate + weak (since you can't cause severe on nix), or is it just how the final number is worked out and not affected by that ability as a result? Like I say, I can see both sides on this one.

It's definitely a complicated issue, and I think it's a not particularly easy.

On the one hand, noone seems to be arguing that applying Ice Gamin's Bite of Winter to an 11, 12 or 13 would negate Nix's ability.

On the other, staging down a Red Joker goes to Moderate, not Severe. Though Nix's ability doesn't work as written exactly like that.

Given that the card hasn't seen print yet, hopefully it'll be eratted one way or the other to be unambiguous before it does so.