growing nephilim

Kotep

Hi there,

I'm Just wondering how often, or how successful people are with growing nephilim models. I have the Lilith box and the 2 young/1 mature box...is that enough? Also, are there any tricks, combos, or strategies that help with growing?

As stated above, if you want to focus on the growth part of Nephilim, you'll probably find those two models to be useful.

To be honest: i'm a Nephilim player first and foremost, but i've never used the growth tactic as a main theme for my crews. Now that Nekima is official i might dabble more into this, but so far i've not been too keen on the mechanics.

The benefits of turning a Tot into a Young also has implications, as the Tot is far more mobile than it's bigger brother for interactions. Also, tots have a very hard time killing anything, they more often than not want to avoid combat at all costs...which makes it hard for them to grow on their own. That's why Nekima's upgrade is useful, too, because she can kill minions relatively easily, and sprout tots as well as growing them.

Maturing Youngs is a very difficult affair and depends alot on your opponents crew...although in this case, to me, the benefits are very clear as the Mature is such a better killer than a Young. Nekima's upgrade, once again, may be even more critical in getting the "mature" effect going.

If you want to grow stuff, you'll want to soften up enemy models and push them for the tots to finish off (they have pounce). Notice the push triggers that Youngs, Barbaros and Matures have. Nekima also has a good trigger to move things. Help may come from the Lilitu as well, with her powerful Lure...she plays well into this kind of "feeding frenzy".  That said, if you set up growth with either "Nephilim ping pong" or "The true mother", you're limiting the freedom of tots for running objectives while they are waiting in range for it to happen.

There's also a question that occurs in Crew building...where the amount of support dedicated to growth may become too much and hinder your actual performance on the table.

That has been the reason why i've not grown models much at all in my games...my tots have a very clear role in my crew and i upgrade Nekima for more survivability/reliability. However i do have a large collection of nephilims, simply to allow myself the growth option if i ever want to go for it.

To answer your question more directly: Lilith's box and one Nephilim box may not cover you completely if you intend to use the growth mechanic a lot, especially if you hire the Youngs or Mature at the beginning of the game (meaning you won't have replacements for your tots). You  may also be a bit short in tots. Lastly, i'd get Nekima and both a Black Blood Shaman and a Lilitu if you're really interested in growth. To give you an idea i have 6 tots, 6 youngs 3 matures (and the rest of nephilim once)

Anyway, that's the pointers i'd throw at you ;)

As stated above, if you want to focus on the growth part of Nephilim, you'll probably find those two models to be useful.

To be honest: i'm a Nephilim player first and foremost, but i've never used the growth tactic as a main theme for my crews. Now that Nekima is official i might dabble more into this, but so far i've not been too keen on the mechanics.

The benefits of turning a Tot into a Young also has implications, as the Tot is far more mobile than it's bigger brother for interactions. Also, tots have a very hard time killing anything, they more often than not want to avoid combat at all costs...which makes it hard for them to grow on their own. That's why Nekima's upgrade is useful, too, because she can kill minions relatively easily, and sprout tots as well as growing them.

Maturing Youngs is a very difficult affair and depends alot on your opponents crew...although in this case, to me, the benefits are very clear as the Mature is such a better killer than a Young. Nekima's upgrade, once again, may be even more critical in getting the "mature" effect going.

If you want to grow stuff, you'll want to soften up enemy models and push them for the tots to finish off (they have pounce). Notice the push triggers that Youngs, Barbaros and Matures have. Nekima also has a good trigger to move things. Help may come from the Lilitu as well, with her powerful Lure...she plays well into this kind of "feeding frenzy".  That said, if you set up growth with either "Nephilim ping pong" or "The true mother", you're limiting the freedom of tots for running objectives while they are waiting in range for it to happen.

There's also a question that occurs in Crew building...where the amount of support dedicated to growth may become too much and hinder your actual performance on the table.

That has been the reason why i've not grown models much at all in my games...my tots have a very clear role in my crew and i upgrade Nekima for more survivability/reliability. However i do have a large collection of nephilims, simply to allow myself the growth option if i ever want to go for it.

To answer your question more directly: Lilith's box and one Nephilim box may not cover you completely if you intend to use the growth mechanic a lot, especially if you hire the Youngs or Mature at the beginning of the game (meaning you won't have replacements for your tots). You  may also be a bit short in tots. Lastly, i'd get Nekima and both a Black Blood Shaman and a Lilitu if you're really interested in growth. To give you an idea i have 6 tots, 6 youngs 3 matures (and the rest of nephilim once)

Anyway, that's the pointers i'd throw at you ;)

Thanks for the very informative post!

I actually have the Lilitu and Lelu models (haven't tried them yet) and just ordered myself a Nekima model (although I've heard that it is prone to breakage). I'm interested in the growth mechanic for sure, but I don't think to the point that it would be an "all the time" crew. I would like to try it a few times though! That being said, it sounds like I'd probably want another nephilim box anyway just to have the option of having the models should I choose that route. In the games I've played I tend to hire a young or 2 and a mature so the extra models would be very handy.

It also sounds like there is definitely a resource committment to having a grow list, in addition to any upgrades that Nekima needs for survivability. That makes her quite an expensive model.  

On a side note, as a nephilim player do you ever take Mr. Graves or Tuco?

Mr. Grave and Tuco both resemble humans...therefore they are killed on sight in my crews :)

Grave is a good beater, but since i already go for a Mature almost all the time, the spot is taken. Tuco is a more difficult, tactical choice, but between him and a lilitu, i have a soft spot for the succubus. He is certainly a good model though, and in some match ups (schemes, strategy, opposing faction), he could prove a better addition.

The resource commitment to grow stuff up is what makes me think of it as a side-line or an aftertought. I tend to think of my objectives when i select my crews and growing is one thing i cannot calculate or expect. If it  happens, cool, however Nekima doesn't have much leeway for afterthoughts...she really need to kill alot of stuff to make up for her points, that's why the true mother doesn't get in my crew so far, even though the current available upgrades aren't much to shout aloud for. As a matter of fact, Nekima herself requires a huge pile of committment in both support models, ss cache and control cards.

I have a tournament coming up in 2 weeks time, 3 rounds at 40SS and 2 at 50SS. I might try out a Nekhima grow list in 1 of the 40SS games. Take shaman, tots and young and whatever else is required for the scenarios and see what happens. I wrote a short blog article about my thoughts on henchman-led crews here. Any thoughts or comments please leave some feedback.

D.