McMourning and Co. Tactica

Kriltic

Update to first post -

Changes-

Things to ask your opponent before a game (top of page),

Minor Expunge update (mentions only equalling the opponents total is needed to apply full effects),

Update to Strategies (Reckoning),

Sebastian's entry.

Minor change in formatting (hopefull a little easier to read).

Sadly it seems the format change has had no visable effect :/ haha just my luck!

I apologise for the slow pace but as I said originally, its taking a fair amount of time to write each entry but I will get it all finished! Hopefully I will get the Chihuahua and Rafkin (possibly the Nurse as well) done in the next few days. Also thanks for the support! :D

Once I have all the entries added I will attempt to edit the format again and make them all more alike in style (even if that doesn't make sense for McMourning! XD ) I'll correct any spelling errors and add any extra bits of info I've left off or come across since writing it. Also once completed I will look into asking a moderator to sticky the thread assuming enough people are interested in such a thing?

KALKRIS... McMourning would probably make a hand with all the fingers replaced by thumbs, simply to use it to give himself 5 thumbs up! XD I also suspect out there somewhere is a poor individual who was the failed experiment relating to the phrase 'eyes in the back of your head'. haha

• Like 1

Spare Parts - While not specifically a McMouring only upgrade I feel it suits him more than most other Masters. This allows the summoning of Guild Autopsies and the powerful Rogue Necromancy. I have started taking this upgrade instead of Plastic Surgery but I haven't used it much.

Both of the the following abilities require corpses which McMouring has very little interest in and so can result in the potential to summon a Rogue Necromancy fairly quickly. Of the two options only Masterpiece is worth spending a Soulstone on (for the crow). Good Enough for Governement Work would only be worth the Soulstone should you still have a fair few left turns 3/4/5.

• Good Enough for Government Work - Allows the summoning of Guild Autopsies, for a corpse, which allows McMouring to actively summon in additional significant models that doesn't entirely rely on enemy models.
    • Trick number 1 - Brings in poison 5 ready for someone to Transfuse.
    • Trick number 2 - This can allow McMourning to summon a model and then inject them to push and drop a scheme marker (especially useful as this would take him 3AP rather than 1AP and his (0).
    • Trick number 3 (beta) - Allows for easy summoning of Sim-29 (who is still in beta) using up their poison.
  • Masterpiece - Allows the summoning of the Rogue Necromancy at the cost of a (2) and 4 corpses. This allows McMouring to summon in a new beatstick. Given his lack of interest in corpses having 4 to spare will not likely be an issue nor will miss them.
    • Don't forget you can place the model in base contact with any of the corpses, this gives the Rogue Necromancy a huge threat range given the base size and its melee range.

Quick Question, where do i find this Upgrade? I can't find it in my Wave1 Upgrade-Cardset.

• 4 weeks later...

This is fantastic. I'm looking forwards to any additional model tactics you might be kind enough to write. I've been suffering a lot i games due to a lot of mistakes that you address here, the most severe being spending too many of McMourning's AP trying to set up Expunge, and giving him the Transfusion, meaning I have to use pretty much two whole turns to try and take out anything with a decent amount of wounds.

Kriltic - I think what you've done already is far beyond the call of duty, and I certainly thank you for it. Last McM game I played I went from being totally spanked to being only marginally spanked, and your tactica definitely helped. :) (See my recent battle reports for details)

For you, and anyone else who wants to cast their eye over it, here is my 100SS tournament list for McMourning, although I've not taken it to any yet:

Resurrectionists Crew - 100SS - Scrap

Dr. Douglas McMourning -- 4 Pool
 +Moonlighting [1]
 +Transfusion [1]

Zombie Chihuahua [2]
Bete Noire [8]
 +Unnerving Aura [1]
Canine Remains [4]
Canine Remains [4]
Canine Remains [4]
Flesh Construct [6]
Flesh Construct [6]
Guild Autopsy [4]
Guild Autopsy [4]
Guild Autopsy [4]
Nurse [5]
Nurse [5]
Rotten Belle [5]
Rotten Belle [5]
Rotten Belle [5]
Sebastian [7]
 +Those Are Not Ours[1]
The Hanged [9]
The Hanged [9]

I would welcome any suggestions as to where it is lacking or any tricky synergies that might go unnoticed by a less experienced player.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What is this transmortis box set about? Is it an expansion?. Also would like to see a writeup for Nicodem

Like you did here. You are verry good at explaining tactica for fellow ressors.

It was a story encounter box set and by extention a minor expansion as they brought the Iron Zombies from the box into M2E as models that the Ressers can hire.  There are three minion iron zombies and a Henchman iron zombie in the box.  Each of the three minions specialize a bit against a different charactersistic.  One has Terrifying Living, one has Terrifying Undead, and one has Terrifying Construct and each has a trigger that gets a bonus against their specific forcus.  Statwise they are pretty solid with Armor +1, Hard to Wound +1, and 8wds though their Defense and Willpower are a bit low.  all also have Flurry a (0) action that can prevent a model from declaring triggers.  The Henchman one is the Valedictorian, which has Terrifying all, Armor +1, Hard to Wound +1, Flight, 10Wds, a decent melee.

• 1 year later...

Corpse Bloat is an interesting upgrade for McMourning giving him the ability to do Aoe-damage with Pricise that makes it ignore armor. Sure its expensive and situational but 5 damage aoe that ignores armor is nothing to laugh at. I seldom take 3 upgrades on him anyway (mostly going for Plastic surgery and Moonlighting so its not that hard to find a place for it also a good way to draw out good cards from the opponents hand.
Dogs giving out Rabies combined with this could be a thing.

Sure McMourning is a very dangerous master and dont realy need more weapons in his already packed arsenal but still kinda fun idea if I can say so myself

Corpse Bloat is an interesting upgrade for McMourning giving him the ability to do Aoe-damage with Pricise that makes it ignore armor. Sure its expensive and situational but 5 damage aoe that ignores armor is nothing to laugh at. I seldom take 3 upgrades on him anyway (mostly going for Plastic surgery and Moonlighting so its not that hard to find a place for it also a good way to draw out good cards from the opponents hand.
Dogs giving out Rabies combined with this could be a thing.

Sure McMourning is a very dangerous master and dont realy need more weapons in his already packed arsenal but still kinda fun idea if I can say so myself

I like Decaying Aura. It's expensive, but ensures if the rest of your crew cant take down or arent around to take down an oppressive henchmen, he can do it himself. It also makes Assassinate a viable play with Expunge. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

What models would you generally play? And avoid?

Any suggestions on a base 50pt McMourning list?

Resurrectionists Crew - 50 - Scrap

+Moonlighting [1]
+Plastic Surgery [1]

Zombie Chihuahua [2]
Flesh Construct [6]
Guild Autopsy [4]
Guild Autopsy [4]
Nurse [5]
Rafkin [7]
+Transfusion [1]
Rotten Belle [5]
Rotten Belle [5]
Sebastian [7]
+Those Are Not Ours! [1]
+Transfusion [1]

• Like 1

Resurrectionists Crew - 50 - Scrap

+Moonlighting [1]
+Plastic Surgery [1]

Zombie Chihuahua [2]
Flesh Construct [6]
Guild Autopsy [4]
Guild Autopsy [4]
Nurse [5]
Rafkin [7]
+Transfusion [1]
Rotten Belle [5]
Rotten Belle [5]
Sebastian [7]
+Those Are Not Ours! [1]
+Transfusion [1]

I like this. I have been doing -1 Belle, +1 Flesh Construct -1 Those are not Ours! 

How has Those our not Ours worked out for you? Do you just murder nearly dead, activated models? or canine remains you create from McM? 

I like double belle because it allows for easier expunges, to pull the opposing models into range and out of their master's auras. I've been doing double flesh construct as more sources of poison on deployment and as additional tarpits, sort of as a first wave to absorb shots from the opposing crew while rafkin/mcm/sebby get into position for turns 2-3. I've not been impressed with guild autopsies except for occasionally draining cards or applying poison. They mostly just help me out activate the opponent. 

Edited by gromgrom

At least one belle, flesh construct, and a nurse are solid choices to start. Sebastian is a no brainer, and Rafkin is a cheap enforcer that puts our serious damage, but is quite fragile if caught with his pants down. I've played both with 4 Soulstones with a maxed out list for a more defensive, reactionary McM build likeeObeisanceilisted. I've also done 7 soulstones and went with Decaying Aura for when I want to assassinate masters and play a more beatstick McM. However, it's alot more difficult to do so, and having tried it first, i dont recommend it starting out. 

Rogue Necromancy i see in lists occasionally to add more blasting firepower and to apply poison at range more consistently. I dont know really what to avoid, other than what some other topic listed as wanting to run Spirit heavy. It's just not as effective. Shikome are solid like Rafkin, but most spirits dont even apply poison, and if they do, they dont synergize as well with it as many horror models do. 

Nurses are almost mandatory with McM. Being able to give one of your models Poison 4 as a 1 action at a range of 2" is incredibly good for setting up poison bombs with sebastian or resupplying yourself with poison markers to expunge a new target. She can also make your models super scary by giving them +2 damage on ML attacks, paralyzing key opposing models (or your own flesh constructs/Sebastian/MCM!!), Giving an opposing model armor 2, but - on all duels helps Transfusion and Expunge become much more consistent. Especially since McM ignores armor :) And giving a flesh construct/Guild autopsy +2 walk the first turn to get into position isnt bad either. Heck, giving it to opposing models engaged with yours is also as good as paralyzing them, since they can only take walk actions then!