McMourning and Co. Tactica

Kriltic

18 minutes ago, Mårten said:

Please note, I have only played 3-4 games, dont have the card in front of me.

• Trick number 1 - I only use this if no other option is possible but if your opponent has no way to remove the poison condition then Expunge is a great way to kill Hard to Kill models (that have 10 or less wounds). If you put at least poison n (n= targets number of wounds +1) on them then they are as good as dead. - This trick assumes there is no healing or condition removal which is why I only use it as a last resort.

Doesn't expunge always spend ALL poison?

Read the card. You lower the poison condition by nine to a minimum of zero.

18 hours ago, Mårten said:

So you need to put 10 poison on it for it to work?

Yes. If they are at poison 10, then it will do 9 wounds, and lower the condition by 9. so replace N in the trick with 10, and it works. Its not the greatest of tricks, but poison is a great way to get around hard to kill in general. 

I have to admit, as much as I like McMourning I'd kill for a little more Df and Wp. I suppose I could try running him with the Graveyard Spirit for the armour +2 but the Chihuahua is so darn useful. One game against Kirai she summoned a Goryo within Sebastian's auras, so the Chihuahua runs up and poisons it. It activates, takes damage from Catalyst, takes extra damage from Induction, dies. Sebastian ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 hour ago, Freman said:

I have to admit, as much as I like McMourning I'd kill for a little more Df and Wp. 

You don't need to kill anyone! For the low price of not being able to summon and 8+ soulstones you can get df/wp 7. Since trying a few games in ressers I've enjoyed summoning and poison crew synergy a lot more than that buff so I'm not sure it's worth it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Freman said:

Ah, Francisco. He should be made into an academic. *hint hint*

Considering how crappy McMourning's guild upgrade is compared to the resser one it's good that he has something to make it a little interesting there. Otherwise playing him in guild would just seem like a downgrade I think.

• Like 1

McMourning's Guild upgrade isn't as easy to use as his ressur one, but I've had a lot of success with it. Getting an interact when you need it is nice, handing out precise is fantastic in certain matchups. I think now that he can make scheme markers by killing things on the order of the governer's secretary does feel a bit redundant though.

I could live without a DF or WP increase if he had protection against conditions. McMourning is perhaps the easiest master to consistently paralyze in the game, because he has to be up front all the time and has low stats in both. But Doug is hardly at the top of anyone's list of master's to change, he's still pretty nice.

• Like 1

Giving out precise seems pretty meh for a master ap since guild just got a 6ss model that lets you ignore any reduction including incorporeal, triggers, abilitied and upgrades that reduce damage. McMourning only lets you ignore armour and htw and is then wasting one of the most valuable ap in your crew.

On 2018-02-27 at 7:19 AM, Ludvig said:

You don't need to kill anyone! For the low price of not being able to summon and 8+ soulstones you can get df/wp 7. Since trying a few games in ressers I've enjoyed summoning and poison crew synergy a lot more than that buff so I'm not sure it's worth it.

8 soulstones?

As Guild?

On 2/27/2018 at 12:05 AM, Freman said:

I have to admit, as much as I like McMourning I'd kill for a little more Df and Wp. I suppose I could try running him with the Graveyard Spirit for the armour +2 but the Chihuahua is so darn useful. One game against Kirai she summoned a Goryo within Sebastian's auras, so the Chihuahua runs up and poisons it. It activates, takes damage from Catalyst, takes extra damage from Induction, dies. Sebastian ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pick up Amina Naidu (Arcanist Acadamic Henchman) and see if she helps keep the doctor alive with her 'According to the Injured Worker's Act' ability

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, it will work that way. But i still dont see a point of Test Subject... I mean it's good to have options anyway, but McMourning feels pretty good in Ressurectionists even without Academics and Beasts. I just don't see how they fit in 50ss crew. If anyone have a sucessfull competitive experience with Beasts and Academics - please share your thoughts :)

It's just the same thing how i see AKA Sebastian Baker with Seamus. (0) Action is very good, but besides that i don't see why Seamus would hire (or even summon) Showgirls instead of Dead Doxies. I will be happy to discuss Seamus as well, but it's a wrong place for it :)

@Sagrit

Test subjects is mostly worth it for guild and since he plays for both facrions and has no guild tactica sticky I put it here. I think there are some tricks with the dead marshal and a lone raptor to pop out anywhere and scheme that might make test subjects worth it in ressers. 

Myranda with the upgrade to punish anyone who stays engaged with her might be nice, people usually don't expect df 7 in ressers.

But i still dont see a point of Test Subject... I mean it's good to have options anyway, but McMourning feels pretty good in Ressurectionists even without Academics and Beasts

I second this.

There are a lot of good options - almost all those Arcanist models seem really solid for their cost, I suspect the Neverborn could actually fit some niches surprisingly well, and I've seen good things from the Dawn Serpent. The Sow with Little Gassers seems like a laugh if nothing else.  I particularly like the idea of Amina Naidu, the Scorpius, Myranda, and those Razerspines, I think they would be good, but its mostly because I like the models.

However, none of it seems actually NEEDED, on top of the fact McM's typical Resurr upgrade loadout is just so great.

Plastic Surgery and Moonlighting seem too good to ever not take. Ditto Decaying Aura, but as taking this on a master makes me feel a little jammy.

I am open to considering Guild Coroner instead of Decaying in marker heavy pools, as getting those things down efficiently is something I often feel is a struggle. A bit of card draw on the side is always nice too, now that Sebastian is less incentivized to summon. Mostly the switch out would be to ween myself off that dirty upgrade though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been told Guild McMourning is bad (compared to the rest of his faction), but I've been working with him on the sly with friends and at smaller events. 

The most mileage I've gotten out of McMourning is in Ply, where I use all his AP to Gather Info then the rest of the crew kills things/runs schemes.  Francisco making Doug 7/7 D/W is nice.

Test subjects is more useful in Guild.  Several models I've enjoyed running with him are:
Amina - She's an excellent toolbox henchman with lots of defensive ways to help McMourning.
the Scorpius - He gets a bonus Walk action plus I can Inject him up the field.  After he takes damage from poison, he regenerates it on his turn and heals from the Test Subject's aura.  Plus it's awesome.
Razorspine Rattler - It's cheaper now, hands out poison automatically, and is great for tying up other models.
With the addition of several other models that grant poison Sebastian can do more work for him as well.

My record for McMourning in GG2018 is 2-3-3.  He's on the back burner for now though.

• Like 1