McMourning and Co. Tactica

Kriltic

Oh I know, its one of my pet hates about most of the Thunders masters, they borrow from their none TT faction, but don't really bring any thing from TT to their other faction. There have been a few exceptions, but I wouldn't mind the next TT models to come with 1 of the infiltarte options to leave that faction. 

Sonnia really only cares about herself, perdita is more an outcast that exclusively takes guild contracts, doug, lucy and mccabe speak for themselves, lady j will probably get fired now so really nellie and hoffman are the only ones with a positive outlook on how the guild treats them. Doug should start an "ex guild" faction.

Having a big hiring pool is less strong now that each faction has more models so they can be less restrictive. In early waves guild would have had its weaknesses removed by access to mobility boosting models, but now it has several very mobile models. Though the factions do each role differently they now have most roles covered.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone get any good use out of Guild Lawyers with McMourning?  I mean, the rest of Moonlighting is so great and I may, um, have some professional interest in running a Lawyer for funsies with his crew, but it does seem like it's not the most efficient use of 6 points.  Anyone found a way to make them sing with the good doc?

On 11/18/2017 at 6:50 AM, Memnaelar said:

Does anyone get any good use out of Guild Lawyers with McMourning?  I mean, the rest of Moonlighting is so great and I may, um, have some professional interest in running a Lawyer for funsies with his crew, but it does seem like it's not the most efficient use of 6 points.  Anyone found a way to make them sing with the good doc?

I almost always find them to be worth their points, but maybe thats because 6 movement in ressur is lovely. They have a lot of useful rules that make them good supports and scheme runners, plus its fairly easy to apply 2 fees to a target and potentially poison them. Models like Izamu or any of the incorporeals adore the hard to wound he gives out too.

• Like 1

I do have to say that Shikome are almost unfair, at least they are once you poison Joss with Sebastian, then "take your meds" putting him on negative duels, then Adversary him. 1AP charge, :+fate to hit when he's on :-fate, +1 damage for a 3/4/6, with automatic Rend to ignore armour. My only regret is that Rafkin was dead so it wasn't a 4/5/7.

After playing Hamelin, McMourning's crew feels like a more melee oriented Hamelin. The big difference is that a lot of McMourning are passive buffs and damage with poison. You don't need to do much to cause problems with poison, just get poison on them somehow and use Rafkin, Shikome, and (even) Canine Remains to pump up the damage (stay within 6 inches of Rafkin for a damage bonus) and, with Sebastian hanging around, if they activate and/or at the end of turn, that's another 3 damage that finishes most things off. If the Doc is nearby, that's another Canine Remains.

• 3 weeks later...

McMourning and Rafkin are both DPS models, with Rafkin adding a bit of debuffing too with My Own Concoction. Neither is particularly durable though, so while they kill what they're aimed at, they die shortly afterwards. I'm going to have to become more tricksy. Maybe keep a Belle around to pull McMourning and friends out of harm's way.

I don't suppose there are any tanks that fit with McMourning. High damage but a bit fragile seems to be his thing.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/30/2018 at 2:05 PM, Ludvig said:

@Mårten Your post feels like it would be better as a new topic asking for advice. These tacticas get a bit too long and unwieldy as it is. :)

You are right.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IjtbEh3YvTSC3eoscJAOMvBrQyiqs3gagOLG6j5iErM/edit?usp=sharing

Just a little document on my Malifaux journey.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Played my 3rd game yesterday. 

My opponent got pretty frustrated because of a certain combo. 

As I'm very new to the game Im overall worried I'm making mistakes but wanted to ask a specific question. 

If mcmourning starts within 8 inches i can do the following correct? 

1. Rancid transplant > put into base contact with correct suit. Around 4-8 poison. Does mcmourning count himself and then take the 1 damage? 

2. Melee attack for  2 damage

3. Melee attack again for 2

4. Expunge for a lot and kill. 

As beginners this seems very powerful. I guess you have to shut him down or stop him in some other way. Just wanna make sure I play it correctly 

McMourning isn't Undead, so doesn't contribute to Rancid Transplant.

Yes, that's a perfectly legal combination. You do need some Undead models around to get above +2 poison with Rancid Transplant but with enough Undead models within 3" you can end up with an awful lot of poison.

You can then do two lots of melee attacks, remember if you have Rafkin around (a staple of my McMourning lists) you'll be doing minimum damage 3 because the target will be poisoned.

Then you can Expunge for the value of the poison, up to 9 damage.

McMourning's weakness is that he's a DPS (damage per second) model, not a Tank. Because of his mobility (which isn't common in a Resser list) it's easy for him to overextend and then get mobbed by enemies. Hard to Wound will only carry him so far, and can be easily negated by Focus, or by the number of models who get positive flips on damage. Then he's just Df 5 with 14 wounds, and those can disappear very quickly.

In Ressers the Moonlighting upgrade is mandatory, it gives McMourning his summoning both from Expunge and from passive poison damage, which of course he can induce from Catalyst. Plastic Surgery is a useful upgrade against models that don't have the Undead or Living characteristic as it allows you to summon off them when you wouldn't be able to normally. The push from poison damage can be useful too, especially if you can trigger off Sebastian at the start of McMourning's activation. Test Subjects (Wave 5) is probably the new hotness, as it allows you to hire out of faction Beasts and Academics, and also gives them healing when they activate near McMourning. Since a lot of the Resser models you'll take with McMourning (like Rogue Necromancy and Shikome) are Beasts you'll get a benefit even if you don't take any other Beasts/Academics. Evidence Tampering is a situational use. The only one I can think of is against someone like Zoraida where you need to focus to not be on negative flips to hit her, and Scalpel Slinging allows you to Focus, Sling (cheat low so she doesn't stop your activation), Focus, Melee (cheat high, or Red Joker if you're holding it).

• Like 2

You check the damage effect from Rancid transplant before pushing McMourning with his mask teigger so if the nearby models aren't undead the first transplant will only add alittle poison and let you push in. The second transplant with Mourning in base to base and Plastic surgery making every model within 3" undead often gives at least 8 poison and some random damage to nearby models. After that you're well set up to expunge.

• Like 1

What do u think about shooty  poison mc morning crew:

50 SS Resurrectionists Crew
McMourning + 6 Pool
 - Moonlighting (1)
 - Plastic Surgery (1)
Zombie Chihuahua (2)
Anna Lovelace (9)
 - Transfusion (1)
Sebastian (7)
 - Transfusion (1)
Rafkin (7)
 - My Little Helper (1)
Chiaki The Niece (6)
Guild Autopsy (4)
Guild Autopsy (4)
Guild Autopsy (4)

We can poison opponent from autopsy and transfusion. Anna just as support model that can even tank some hitters with armor and prevent dmg. Mb change upgrades 
bitween Rafkin and Sebastian. 
Is it playable for gg18? 

Only mcmourning himself brings any scheme marker placement. Replace Anna with the Carrion Emissary, he can get your autopsies up the field faster and also does min 3 at range, though admittedly shorter he still ignores randomization and he can give + flips to your guild autopsy attacks with carrion conflux. He can also turn corpses into scheme markers.

Please note, I have only played 3-4 games, dont have the card in front of me.

• Trick number 1 - I only use this if no other option is possible but if your opponent has no way to remove the poison condition then Expunge is a great way to kill Hard to Kill models (that have 10 or less wounds). If you put at least poison n (n= targets number of wounds +1) on them then they are as good as dead. - This trick assumes there is no healing or condition removal which is why I only use it as a last resort.

Doesn't expunge always spend ALL poison?

• Like 1