Ashes and Dust potental abuse with Oathkeeper

Adran

Question

Hello

Quick question regarding the timing of Ashes and dust and death and Oathkeeper.

Oathkeeper allows the model to drop a scheme counter when killed. When Ashes and Dust is killed it summons Ashen core and ashen core can attach 1 upgrade from Ashes and Dust.

As I read it I can kill Ashes and dust, get a scheme marker, and then get the ashen core and Dust storm.

Then when I sacrifice the Ashen core I get a scheme marker and move the upgrade to Ashs and Dust.

Is there something in the rules to stop this (Possibly a timing issue that I'm not completly sure on), or are we expecting that Ashes will drop 2 scheme markers per death at just the cost of the upgrade?

Cheers

4 answers to this question

From what I can tell, you are half correct. Oath Keeper only triggers on death, not sacrifice, so the A&D's controller will get a scheme marker when the model is killed but not when it is summoned as the Initiate Reformation specifies that the Ashen Core is sacrificed.

As an added bonus, the Core's controller wouldn't get a scheme marker from reforming even if the ability said "Kill this model" because the upgrade changes hands before it would be killed; this isn't true of the A&D's Desolate Core ability because the ability is triggered by the same event that causes a scheme marker to drop and, as the order of the resolution can affect the outcome, the model's controller chooses the order in which the abilities resolve (p. 35 of the big rulebook is referencing the End Phase specifically, but this seems to apply across phases).