Bought Lady J and her Death Marshals, What's Next?

Praetoriian

Buy ALL the boxes. Problem solved.

This is actually not bad advice at all.  The Perdita/Sonnia/Lady J boxes make for a pretty solid, well rounded set.  I think the only things desperately missing would be an Austringer and maybe a 4 pt Minion option.  Everything beyond that is chrome.

Fransico! Make her Def7 WP 9!

Well, it was only a matter of time.

For tipps on playing Lady Justice or Francisco, these recent threads are a good read:

Is the Lady good?

Is Francisco always included in any Guild list?

Is Francisco good support for the Lady? Sure. Does she need him? Hell no. Since you bought Perdita's crew already, test it and find your own answer.

• Like 1

Idk man, lady J is def 5 and 14 wounds with no h2s, armor, dmg reduction, and just a singly healing 0 which is 1/2/4. I feel like Lady J is kind of low on the power/survivability pole. Compare her to Lilith and Misaki for example. 

Lilith is very vulnerable to all WP attacks, which Justice is not. Anyway, their roles on the field are so different that I don't get that comparison. She has a cheap heal and high Wd and can kill most dangerous models near her in one activation. She is no unstoppable tank, but I don't see her as fragile. She has survived about half my games, and I'm not careful with her by any means.

And sure, if Francisco is glued to her ass she becomes much more survivable. But she also either gets slower or I can't take advantage of the awesome Francisco because he will only hand out the bonus and then run after her. Do I want that trade off? Sometimes. But she doesn't need Francisco to bring down huge threatening models before they attack your crew.

I  mean, yeah she has the killing potential to justify the lack of D, though 14 wounds is very respectable and the heal is great.

Not sure how you don't see the comparisons. Since they both run forward and smash... they seem pretty comparable. More so than say comparing her to Ramos!

I think they are a lot more comparable than a lot of people think, but the differences are important. Lilith is an assasin. there is no way to keep Lilith from targeting a model, and she tends to get +fate more often, but she deals a significant amount less damage. Lady Justice is easier to hit, but can counterattack and heal. Lilith is harder to hit, but more likely to use cards on Horror duels or to get hit with Wp(5 is not low, but it is low enough to be a justifiable weakness.) In return, she can lower your ability to hit her, and even if you do, always does 1 damage.

Lilith is generally more versatile, while Lady J is focused on killing you to death.

That being said, Lady J has access to more healing than Lilith, and more models with decent support abilities. in that, they are almost opposites. Lilith supports her crew; Lady J gets a crew that supports her.

I had a game recently in which Lady J was in a slugoff with Lilith. Lady J eventually won, solely due to the ability to heal with guardian, herself, and the Malifaux child.(the defensive 2 helped too.) it took about 3 rounds, and a red Joker in hand for damage to take out Liltih, so it could have gone the other way.

Right now, I think they are fairly balanced, honestly.

Definitely balanced for sure and Lady J should be able to kill Lilith. I guess my point is, don't take more than 1 death marshal. I think Lady J needs more... better... minions. DM's are not great at 6 points, only OK.

2 Death Marshals are ok if you send them after different objectives, but the 3rd certainly starts to feel like trouble.

This seems like a good general topic, though; what Minions do people prefer?  In the 3-5 range, there's Hounds, Guards, Wastrels, Watchers, Stalkers, Latigos, and Riflemen (and the heavily taxed Desperate Merc).  Which ones do people prefer en mass?

Death Marshals are quality. No other minion has an attack that can completely remove a threat from the table until you are good and ready to deal with it. Pine box is the bane of WP 5-6 henchmen/masters.  Plus you can use that same attack to keep lady justice safe. 

You probably wont want more than 3 though. 

My Guild collection consists of every plastic Guild Master (Lady J, Sonnia, Perdita, McCabe) set available, an Austringer, an Executioner, 3 Guild Hounds and the Guild Riflemen box. This collection of models gives me an amazing amount of flexibility and covers almost all eventualities. 

• Like 1

Death Martials took a bit to grow on me this editio9n, but I honestly like them quite a bit. to the extent that I'd consider starting with them over witchlings in a Sonnia box, if I bring a Handler for burning.

The fact you can pine box on a charge is ridiculously good. I've taken out major threats that way, especially with cards in hand. nothing like going after that Mature nephilim, Rail Golem, or Killjoy(or any model that will kill several of your models before you get the chance to kill it), getting 2 attempts, and having a 13 in hand. The shoot is fairly good for the cost, the hard to wound helps, but pinebox makes the model.

• Like 2

Mature nephilim, Rail Golem, or Killjoy(or any model that will kill several of your models before you get the chance to kill it), getting 2 attempts, and having a 13 in hand. The shoot is fairly good for the cost, the hard to wound helps, but pinebox makes the model.

Yeah that's about it, you get 2 chances to remove a model from the table that you couldn't remove by just trying to kill it. Pinebox is just stupid good.

• Like 1

And the shenanigans don't end there. There are great opportunities in burying own models. I once smashed Ototo with Lady Justice for Kill Protegé, then buried her to avoid Assassinate. Consequently, the opponent had to kill the Death Marshal, only to lose his models to the Lady right after. It was a funny game.

• Like 1

I was pointing this out in beta back when scrubs were QQing about her being squishy :P

Lady Justice doesnt need Df greater than 5 because she effectively has Df INFINITY if theres even one death marshal left on the table.

That is true so long as you don't really mind her losing AP. I'm not sure it is a great bargain most of the time. I'd rather have her out and getting healed or DF bonuesed, myself. Yeah, you can keep her alive that way, it just doesn't seem worth it in 90% of the games I've played.

That is true so long as you don't really mind her losing AP. I'm not sure it is a great bargain most of the time. I'd rather have her out and getting healed or DF bonuesed, myself. Yeah, you can keep her alive that way, it just doesn't seem worth it in 90% of the games I've played.

The troll factor is kind of worth the 1 AP investment on the DM. Plus you get to position her in the most advantageous way possible.

It's mostly a question of activation sequence. If the Lady has already activated (or you are sure you will lose the Marshal) it's often worth it. If you lose an activation of the Lady, it mostly is not. It's also a 30mm teleport, which can screw with enemy positioning and engagements.

Generally, Pine Box is such a versatile effect I gladly pay 6 SS for it. But I seldom take 3 Marshals.