Bought Lady J and her Death Marshals, What's Next?

Praetoriian

Morning guys,

So like the title says, I have purchased Lady J and her Death Marshals crew box, I have played a demo game with them etc.

I was just wondering what you Veteran Wyrdos think would be the next thing to invest in, and what works/is easy to use for a beginner in the world of malifaux?

Would you advise buying multipe masters, henchmen, or loads of minions?

Thanks

Andy

Well the Ortega Posse Boxset has some lovely models in it and they all work pretty well amongst other crews. Francisco and Nino in particular find their way in a lot of other crews. 

If you want to stick with Lady J's theme then wait a few weeks for the Lone Marshall. Guild Rifleman + Death Marshall + Horse = Lone Marshall! 

Sonnia's boxset is also a possibility, her Witchling Stalkers are pretty damn good for their price tag and add utility to pretty much any Guild Crew. 

Lastly an Executioner and an Austringer or two also work well with just about any Master should you desire more killing power or support. 

Pretty much at this point just backing MD. He brought up about every model. 

Witchling Stalkers are good and cheap minions within the Guild, they are also sold separately in plastic if you don't want another master and a henchman focusing on burning damage. The Latigo Posse has very good enforcers for the guild and a good Henchman Francisco who's pretty all around in use. 

Executioner I have heard good things about and I have the model, but I haven't found the space to fit him in. Austringer's are good models at picking out targets and doing small and annoying damage to your opponent with a really reliable sh7. 

The Guild Guardian seems like a pretty good model at defending on the guild master's and henchmen who lack on df themselves, such as Lady Justice. So you might want to take a look at that. 

Would you advise buying multipe masters, henchmen, or loads of minions?

The others have listed the most important things. In general, I would advise to stick with one Master for at least a few games. That way, you can get the general mechanics of the game down without the confusion of differing model rules. (This doesn't prevent you from buying and painting additional Masters, of course.)

If a Minion (like Witchling Stalkers) is interesting for you and included in one of the crew boxes, I would advise buying said crew box. They are fairly priced and you get a ton more options. Furthermore, the character models included are not sold separately if you want them later.

In your case, most available models in the Guild go well with Lady Justice. Just take your pick. The models mentioned above make a good starting point.

Hows the Exorcist from Wave 2? 

It depends on the person evaluating it. I'd proxy it for a game or two before buying it. I've heard people love him, and I've heard others hate him. RIght now, he's an interesting but vulnerable support piece with a few tricks, who is very good against ressers, and decent against everyone else, if played well.

He's actually pretty good

He's got a solid statline not that disimilar to a Death Marshall and also comes with Finish the Job and Hard to Wound. He also prevents Spirits and Undead with 3" delcaring triggers. 

The back of his hard is pretty sweet as well. His (0) can make people undead so he can then utilize some of his other triggers such as Banish to Oblivion which is an insta-kill trigger for undead models with the usual 2ss or 2 cards to prevent death. Critical Strike as standard being Guild on his melee and ranged attacks. 

Overall he's pretty solid for a 7ss investment and being another Guild Marshall he naturally has synergy with Lady J. He is somewhat specialized but has the ability to work on his own thanks to a fairly decent shooting attack and his (0). He also works pretty well with Guild McMourning. 

He also has fairly short range, a slower movement, and stats that are nothing special for a 7 SS model...

Again, I'm not saying he is bad, just that I suspect he is going to be one of those models that people love or hate depending on their playstyle. Therefore, I recommend proxying him in a game or two to get a feel for him.

• Like 1

How come no one has mentioned that with Exorcists turning everyone undead, the Judge's "Bound by Law" is doing 2/4/8 as well as giving out the arrest condition.  I like taking two Exorcists with the Judge and being a real pain.  And let's not forget that with Flames of the Pit, the Judge, or whoever you plant this upgrade on, is going to be terrifying to 2-4 enemy models (assuming you flip well).  I personally love them and how they give this  crew some added tricks to its normally straightforward play style.

Slightly off topic, but Exorcists and the Judge also work really well with a Guild Mcmorning and Plastic Surgery.

How come no one has mentioned that with Exorcists turning everyone undead, the Judge's "Bound by Law" is doing 2/4/8 as well as giving out the arrest condition.  I like taking two Exorcists with the Judge and being a real pain.  And let's not forget that with Flames of the Pit, the Judge, or whoever you plant this upgrade on, is going to be terrifying to 2-4 enemy models (assuming you flip well).  I personally love them and how they give this  crew some added tricks to its normally straightforward play style.

Slightly off topic, but Exorcists and the Judge also work really well with a Guild Mcmorning and Plastic Surgery.

Because its generally better to just shoot and stab them if they are in range for that.

And yeah Exorcists and the Judge with Macca is a pro move. 

I just recently acquired the Lady J boxed set as well. Haven't played a game yet with her, though, but I'm looking forward to it. ...Just as soon as I get over the teeth-grinding frustration that was putting Lady J and the Death Marshals together. She is made from soooo many fiddly little pieces and gluing the DM standing on one foot on top of a coffin was just a bloody nightmare. The Death Marshals are also going to hog a lot of real estate in a standard foam tray. Supposing I can place them there without breaking them. Working with Wyrd's plastics has -much to my surprise- made me really appreciate the robustness of certain 28mm Heroic scale minis. [insert colorful cursing about Lady J's sword in particular right around here]

More on topic: as has been stated, the other starter boxes are a good source of additional models at a fair price. And as we all know, the larger your roster, the more options you have to cover different scenarios; especially in such situations where your Master falls short.

Wow, did not expect this much feedback, thanks guys.

I will be taking advice from you all, but honestly I am a sucker for just buying the models I really like, so my latest purchase was the guild rifleman, and perdita. I also have my eyte on the Lone Marshal release, really liking that sculpt. I Like the idea of the executioner but i'm not a fan of the model so unless I find a suitable proxy? Also really like the hunter gu so may be buying my self that too.

That's not a bad policy. Riflemen and Ortegas add some ranged support (And Dita is a very cool Master, no less). The Executioner is not mandatory if you don't like the sculpt.

Really, buying what you like may be the best method. I have yet to encounter an auto-include model for any master.