The Beasts of Malifaux

Sybarite

Glad I could inspire you Vaiuri :) It's fun painting all those animals.

Here's another update. A smaller one this time. Meet Lumpy, Marcus's dog. It was a lot of fun to paint actually. Was really quick and it was fun experimenting with washes to make the skin look undead. It's been very long since I painted some undead. I might have to paint some more :) I do have a Nicodem box set built.

canine-remains-front_zps0806af9f.png

canineremainsright_zpsdd971cac.png

canine-remains-back_zps75565ac9.png

LOVE these models! And, as always, the painting style and talent is incredible.

I have always tossed around the idea of picking up a Marcus crew... This may push me over the fence on that decision... But I already have so much to paint!!!

So much to paint... so much laziness... Not enough snacks.

• Like 1

Monkeyboy: Thanks a lot Monkeyboy :) I'm happy that you love them :D Hmm yeah it's easy to want to do all the cool crews you can think of, haha, but Marcus has been a lot of fun both when it comes to gaming and painting. It's easy to want to collect a lot of beasts for him though. Mmm snacks.

Astrella: The bases, including the tree stump are sculpted with super sculpy (an easy to work with putty that you harden in the oven), and occasionally green stuff. I usually put a bunch of sculpy on the base and sculpt it so it looks a bit cliff-like and interesting, then cut it off carefully and put it in the oven. Then I glue it on. I often do "pinning" of metal models by making a slot by pushing the metal at the bottom of the model into the sculpy.
Not sure how to elaborate on how to make the tree stump, but make the sawn off part last with green stuff and a sculpting tool with a pointy end/a needle, after the rest is dried/hardened. Hope that helps :)

Now this I can't wait to see... Does it have scales on every part?

I've stayed clear of that set so far because there are some really lovely pieces floating about (curse you dgraz, for one :P ) so it will be good to see another beautifully painted snake join the ranks!

• Like 1

:) Thanks.

Yes, it's very scaled up....and evenly, unlike the original. I did a diamondback pattern on the original but the scales are wonky and it could have been better.......I'm looking forward to doing the plastic one with a similar pattern as I think it will come out better......but it'll be a while....gotta finish my commissions before I do my own stuff again.

• 3 months later...

Ok the rattler was laying unfinished on my painting table for quite a long time, and it has been a bit of a pain finishing it, but I finally just mustered the patience to do it. Painting could be a bit tidier, but I don't know if I can be bothered to tidy it up any more. Sooo many scales! Anyway, turned out pretty cool I guess. Sorry about the picture quality.

Razorspine-Rattler-2_zps4572106c.png

Razorspine-Rattler-1_zps86320c63.png

Razorspine-Rattler-3_zps68256b29.png

Razorspine-Rattler-4_zpsa2215252.png

Two metal silurids are on the painting table right now.

I also finished a gunsmith and some speedy punk zombies earlier, will get pics up of those in other threads.

• Like 4

Dgraz: Glad you think so :) Yeah it's a daunting model to paint :S ugh. I do NOT want to paint another one. It's a really, really cool model though so I'm glad I have done it. Looks rather impressive on the table top. Looking forward to seeing your rattler.

Inquisitor Wall: Thanks a lot :) Yeah pretty happy with the colours.

Zfiend: Hehe thanks!

Mako: Thanks! Glad you think so! Scales and spines on the snake could be tidier but I just couldn't bring up the motivation to go over all those scales again, and I've got more stuff to paint for a tournament.

• 3 weeks later...

Michaud: Thanks a lot! :) It's a really cool model. Looks menacing on the table.

Wobbly_goggy: Thanks :D Glad you like it! I like the metal Marcus minis, but the new rattler and sabertotth cerberus are improvements for sure.

Here are the latest additions to the Marcus crew

Silurids-front_zpscdf93033.png

Silurids-back_zpsc39d522e.png

Another Marcus crew group shot:

Marcus-crew-group-shot_zpsb404c0d6.png

And an Arcanist group shot:

Arcanists-group-shot_zpsc58517b0.jpg

• Like 5

Astrella: The bases, including the tree stump are sculpted with super sculpy (an easy to work with putty that you harden in the oven), and occasionally green stuff. I usually put a bunch of sculpy on the base and sculpt it so it looks a bit cliff-like and interesting, then cut it off carefully and put it in the oven. Then I glue it on. I often do "pinning" of metal models by making a slot by pushing the metal at the bottom of the model into the sculpy.

Not sure how to elaborate on how to make the tree stump, but make the sawn off part last with green stuff and a sculpting tool with a pointy end/a needle, after the rest is dried/hardened. Hope that helps :)

Ever considered doing a video or two on how you do the bases?  I know I will never paint as well as you and many others in these threads, but I feel like I could create nice bases if someone showed me how in a couple of examples.