Getting the most out of Cojo?

MooseMCA

I'm a new player to malifaux, but I'm accumulating alot of experience with 2E. I'm loving Marcus and all the options available to him!

That being said, I'm having mixed results with Cojo. Love the model (with some conversions), but I have trouble getting him downfield where I want him to be. Any have any advice or ideas?

From my experience, his use is to be the model that controls the centerline - flinging models out of objective range such as Turf War, and clearing enemy scheme markers like line in the sand etc.

I always run him next to Myranda, both of them advancing towards the middle whilst staying in cover.  Myranda stays close by to give him +ve defensive flips and to heal him. Due to Myranda's high DF she often gets ignored and people try to hurt Cojo first.

My sole purpose for Myranda early to mid game is to keep cojo alive, until either Cojo is dead, or she is badly hurt - then I will turn her into sabertooth or whatever else is appropriate.

• Like 1

What Nickienogger said. I use Cojo and Myranda in a similar fashion.

I find that Cojo is deceivingly durable. 8 wounds and df5 doesn't seem like much, but when you give him imbued protection to put that df up to 6 and sit him close to Myranda for positive defence flips, your opponent is going to have a hard time hitting him. Myranda's heal goes a long way, when you've got those two camping in a good spot. You can get two heals on Cojo a turn - if you're desperate, 4 heals with alpha from Marcus. And obviously his Hard to Kill helps a lot with keeping him in the game. I played a game last week, where McCabe got Cojo down to 1 wound (hard to kill) then Marcus went, alpha'd Myranda healed - him twice. Then opponent activated. Then I activated Myranda, healed him two more times back to full health.

Also, if you're having trouble getting Cojo quickly to where you want him - just alpha him with Marcus. That will essentially give him a 16 inch move in one turn.

• Like 1

Also, if I'm not mistaken, Cojo's Rude Sign Language says models within 3 inches get pushed up to 4 inches away. So you can push models with shorter ml ranges engaged with Cojo just out of their melee range, but keep them in his melee range. This means they then have to waste one action moving back into melee range with him, because being engaged with Cojo, they aren't allowed to charge.

• Like 1

Cojo has been a mid to late game all star for me. For the reasons listed above for one. Also, I try to keep him away from the heavier hitters early game and let my minions tie things up while Cojo tries some schemes with Myranda. When everyone is softened up on their side, or put down some markers for me, he gets real nice. He can easily finish off with his Rampage, being Ml 7 with 3 in weak. Alpha helps get him in better position. Then both his (0)'s can really help swing the game in your favour, whether you push out models that are in tight spots (like setting up schemes like Entourage, Breakthrough, or Plant Evidence) then moving out. Or taking down those last second scheme markers to deny points altogether. Rude Sign Language + the auto trigger for Flush Out can get models pretty far down the field (like in Turf War) 8", which is a double walk for pretty much anyone to try and make up that ground again, while still having Cojo to deal with who has the above mentioned durabilities. Just try to keep him safe and let him do some late game lifting and he'll really shine.

What Nickienogger said. I use Cojo and Myranda in a similar fashion.

I find that Cojo is deceivingly durable. 8 wounds and df5 doesn't seem like much, but when you give him imbued protection to put that df up to 6 and sit him close to Myranda for positive defence flips, your opponent is going to have a hard time hitting him. Myranda's heal goes a long way, when you've got those two camping in a good spot. You can get two heals on Cojo a turn - if you're desperate, 4 heals with alpha from Marcus. And obviously his Hard to Kill helps a lot with keeping him in the game. I played a game last week, where McCabe got Cojo down to 1 wound (hard to kill) then Marcus went, alpha'd Myranda healed - him twice. Then opponent activated. Then I activated Myranda, healed him two more times back to full health.

Also, if you're having trouble getting Cojo quickly to where you want him - just alpha him with Marcus. That will essentially give him a 16 inch move in one turn.

All that is true. Two things.

Cojo is not a model that you use to rush the front line. His speed is fine for a Turn 2 delivery.

I'm a big fan of Imbued Protection....however what I've been doing lately is.....for 2 more SS you can hire a Metal Gamin.....which can give Cojo the Df 6, and is another fairly tough significant Minion.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, Cojo's Rude Sign Language says models within 3 inches get pushed up to 4 inches away. So you can push models with shorter ml ranges engaged with Cojo just out of their melee range, but keep them in his melee range. This means they then have to waste one action moving back into melee range with him, because being engaged with Cojo, they aren't allowed to charge.

No. Cojo's push is 4".........not 'up to'. Still a great ability to allow him to escape combat, or to push enemies away from objectives and such.

• Like 1

Thanks for the correction Dgraz - on Cojo's rude sign language push.

Although, I think Cojo is actually pretty decent at rushing front lines - if you use him correctly. I usually use him with the Slate Ridge Mauler (a serious tank, that gets better when wounded) and Myranda. The 3 of them can really disrupt your opponents front lines and have some serious board control. As mentioned before, Cojo is deceivingly survivable. Especially if you're destroying enemy scheme markers. Double positive defence flip with Myranda around - yes please! His push really throws your opponents positioning out the window, combine that with the Slate Ridge Maulers bear hug, you can bounce your opponents models up to 8 inches.

So, if you're using him to rush the frontlines for disruption, good! To kill things, not so good!

Never thought of the metal gamin combo! Sounds good! Going to give that a go!