Jen's Painting Thread

jen_tr

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working on a different project for the last week - Legio XIII gladiators for Arena Rex. We backed this on kickstarter a while ago, and the models have turned out just as gorgeous as we expected! Very pleased with them.

Ban-Luca

banluca_zpsylxl0dxm.jpg

Aquila

aquila_zpshkjz4zt5.jpg

Aemilia

aemilia_zpsdbzz5tih.jpg

All three

legioxiii_zpsoagukdom.jpg

This was also my latest attempt at NMM - and it has come out much much better than any previous attempt, although there is still plenty of room for improvement. I think that keeping the highlights on the metal really simple has helped - although it meant that I ended up really struggling to bring out some of the details on the metal armour, e.g. the patterns on Aemilia's greaves. Hopefully next time I'll be able to do a little better and keep the effect without losing the detail...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm working on another Malifaux project now, and it's one I've been wanting to get around to for some time! (I just find painting horses quite intimidating)

IMAG0856_1_zps8kcuy8r9.jpg

IMAG0857_1_zpsdwfihnkl.jpg

IMAG0858_zpsamotsp19.jpg

IMAG0859_1_zpsufw2xshs.jpg

The display base was made using the Sanctuary board from the Basius 2 kickstarter. Carefully designed to fit the full McCabe crew that I wanted to paint. And as soon as it was painted, I remembered that I was going to do Miss Anthrope to go with them :-(

So the question now is: do I try to hack out a piece of the base to add her in? or replace on-foot McCabe (who needs two McCabes in a painting display base, right?)? or just have her on the same style base but separate?

I'd appreciate your thoughts :-)

• Like 6

Phew, that was exactly the response I was hoping for! Dismounted McCabe can wait on the sidelines while Anne joins the rest of the crew on the display base :-)

I've started working on mounted McCabe first, because paimting horses intimidates me... I've also decided to go for a more intricate paintjob than normal, starting with the horse's colouring and the saddlecloth patterns. Aiming for a slightly faded look, but perhaps not quite there yet!

IMAG0876_zpsik02txis.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some additions to Kirai's crew:

Hanged proxy (note the rope around his waist):

IMAG1040_zpswuxslfs2.jpg

Drowned proxies (note the ball and chain - each link had to be glued individually to keep them hanging at the right angle!):

IMAG1030_zpshapegq10.jpg

IMAG1034_zpszrpu0vwp.jpg

IMAG1029_zpsd9466nad.jpg

Philip and the nanny proxy - I used a Chinese name translator to get the characters for the urn - hopefully it says "Philip"!

IMAG1042_1_zpsnylahguf.jpg

• Like 2

Those are really awesome. I think your NMM is really good, but I think you have the opposite problem I do.....I've been too dark on mine and I think yours is a little too light. I think the lighter looks better, I haven't made the jump from black to light quick enough which makes it too dark...I bet if you could keep it the way you have it but squeeze in a couple shades at the very end toward black that it would be really amazing. That's my next move (I need to remember how light yours looks......everything is a learning process).

Again, great work. Nmm is, as Dgraz says, really good. It's so tricky to do, and I'm no expert, but I think yours is a nice method. I think I agree with Dgraz again in that if you used a bit more black in the shadows and just a 'blip' of pure white on the part you want shiniest (not sure how to describe it lol) or highest point you would be achieving even greater levels.

I like your skin tones too btw

• 1 month later...

I've added a few more models to Kirai's crew (yay for Christmas presents!), and re-photographed the whole lot with my better camera. This will be the last for Kirai for a while now, at least until Jaakuna Ubume comes out.

Shikome: DSC_0583%201024x842_zps09aghesj.jpg

Gaki: DSC_0592%201024x685_zpspi3eqexx.jpg

Kirai, Datsue Ba, Lost Love: DSC_0575%201024x1022_zpsdoqvnum9.jpg

More seishin than you could ever need: DSC_0595%201024x866_zpsahzugcuq.jpg

Onryo: DSC_0584%201024x866_zpstsymgr8o.jpg

Ikiryo: DSC_0589%20875x1024_zps2pqo0ct6.jpg

Izamu: DSC_0591%20798x1024_zpshx0vshzb.jpg

Hanged proxy and ashigaru: DSC_0587%201024x907_zpstzjicajx.jpg

Drowned proxies: DSC_0586%201024x808_zpsqemg4eej.jpg

Philip and the nanny proxy: DSC_0590%201024x685_zpszp1levzk.jpg

The crew: DSC_0596%201024x685_zpsf1w4nw41.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Next project (alongside Iron Painter) is the Viks. So far, I've done:

Viktoria of Ashes

DSC_0566%20697x1024_zpsponvep9x.jpg

DSC_0568%20707x1024_zpsqrgnvaal.jpg

Viktoria of Blood

DSC_0575%20775x1024_zps9qwp3qtg.jpg

DSC_0576%20775x1024_zps2xo885jo.jpg

Taelor

DSC_0569%20733x1024_zpsvqkiqoni.jpg

DSC_0571%20781x1024_zpssipzghto.jpg

Ronin

DSC_0572%20755x1024_zps4sxnaebo.jpg

DSC_0573%20762x1024_zpsiv3nbmju.jpg

All together

DSC_0578%201024x815_zpsjknjcazm.jpg

Next month I'll try to get through two more Ronin, Vanessa, and Student of Conflict, if holidays and Iron Painter allow!

• Like 5

They've changed uploading pictures directly to the forum. Now you have to click "Insert other media" at the bottom right and then paste url of each single picture there.

I really like your work, wonderful smooth highlights, skin looks amazing and I love the way you painted clothes, really impressive stuff.

Thanks Viruk, I've now managed to edit the original post and use the "Insert other media" option rather than pasting the links into the post directly.

And thanks for the compliments :) Freehand and patterns on clothes is one of my favourite things to paint!

• Like 1