Jen's Painting Thread

jen_tr

• 2 months later...

So, I've had a bit of a break from malifaux recently, and have been working on my first guild ball team instead. We backed the guild ball kickstarter a little while ago, and I'm very pleased with how the models have turned out! Here they are...

Midas

DSC_0033%20710x1024_zpsd4sna3a4.jpg

Calculus

DSC_0037%20686x1024_zpsdjnfwlhl.jpg

Mercury

DSC_0038%20725x1024_zpscs7c20pc.jpg

Vitriol

DSC_0042%20664x1024_zpswgam05jd.jpg

Katalyst

DSC_0045%20800x1024_zpskr9z1ygz.jpg

Flask

DSC_0047%20769x1024_zpsge5ejb7u.jpg

The team

DSC_0050%201024x709_zpsmazrymfv.jpg

• Like 5

Nice flame effect on Mercury, I've been looking around for one that I like for ages and I think that's it. Adding in the grey smoke to the edges was a great idea, it's the best way of doing flame over a large area I've seen. The flasks and vials are also really nicely done.

How did you find painting these guys? Their details look a bit chunkier than the plastic Malifaux models, but not quite so much as the old metal ones.

Yeah, with the flame on Mercury, I didn't want a whole great big pile of fire - I thought it would be far too much, given the softer colours on the models altogether. Smoke seemed a good way of getting round that!

I actually really enjoyed painting them. The details are definitely chunkier than the new Malifaux plastics, as you say, but in some ways I think that is a good thing. The deeper creases (e.g. where a boot meets the trouser above) make it a lot easier to bring out the definition between areas of the model, which is always more difficult on Malifaux models, since they are so smooth. And I think they've still got plenty of fine details, which stops them from heading towards being too cartoony. So, altogether, I think they've struck a very nice balance, and were definitely good to paint... so much so, that I've now ordered a second team :D

• Like 2

Thanks!

Calculus is part of the Alchemists' team for Guild Ball, made by Steamforged Games. You can currently get her as part of the Alchemist starter box:

http://elementgames.co.uk/wargames-and-miniatures/cult-steampunk-other-miniatures-games/guild-ball/alchemists-guild/alchemist-starter-set-midas-calculus-mercury

You could also try the Guild Ball website:

http://guildball.com/

• 4 weeks later...

For a few months now, I've been agonising over how to paint my Kirai crew, and have now finally managed to come up with a colour scheme I'm happy with. It didn't turn out quite as I was aiming for, but I think it works nonetheless. Constructive comments are welcome, especially before I paint the rest of the crew!

Onryo:

DSC_0035%20686x1024_zpsyqclcupe.jpg

Display board for the crew (a couple of details still need finishing):

DSC_0036%201024x685_zpsxkh7eoyh.jpg

DSC_0037%201024x685_zpsy2c5paev.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...