Jen's Painting Thread

jen_tr

Thanks!

I use Abaddon Black, but I imagine any black would do (although not the GW undercoat black - thats far too shiny), as long as it mixes smoothly with the Pallid Wych Flesh. I start with pure black, then do an edge highlight with a bit of pallid wych flesh mixed in. Then keep on doing progressively narrower edge highlights, with progressively more pallid wych flesh. When I get to about 50:50, I jump to pure pallid wych flesh, but only as a very thin highlight. You want to keep that paint nicely watered down - it needs to go on smoothly, and you need a really good tip on your brush. If you find you've watered it down too much, and it barely shows, wipe it off quickly and add a little more paint to the mix.

Basically: careful edge highlights and nicely watered-down paint! I suspect this will look best on armour and other hard edges - it probably won't work so well if you want to do black cloth.

• Like 1

And, as promised, Ama No Zako:

DSC_00581024x898_zps70ca95d1.jpg

I'm afraid she hasn't photographed terribly well - the yellow is a bit bright, and the join on her chin is no where near that obvious on the model... Honest! ;) She isn't quite finished yet though - I think I want to do some sort of glowy effect from the lantern. I just thought it worth making sure I'm happy with the colours before I go defacing the yellow and red with bright blue!

• Like 7

I was lucky enough to see the initial Misaki stuff in York earlier this year when it won a well-deserved painting prize.  If anything I felt it looked even more impressive in real life.  That Ama No Zako looks fantastic.  Yellow is really hard to paint but you make it look so smooth.  The freehand is inspiring.

• 4 months later...

Well, its been a little while since I posted anything here... partly because I felt a little painted-out over the summer, and haven't been doing as much painting. I also forgot to upload my Yan Lo crew (painted in July). So, here they are!

I tried something a little bit different with their bases (which you can't really see properly in the photos) - I cut out the normal centre part of the base, and put in a layer of plasticard right at the bottom, to give them a little more depth. I then painted the rocks, reeds, and base floor, and poured in many layers of water effects. So, if you have one in the flesh, the water looks deeper than it should be. On the photos, however, you really can't tell!

Yan Lo:

DSC_0091685x1024_zpsebe5d9fd.jpg

Soul Porter:

DSC_0099678x1024_zps56e7cea1.jpg

Chiaki the Niece:

DSC_0102958x1024_zps8686ef67.jpg

Ashigaru:

DSC_00851024x712_zps9ef1d101.jpg

Izamu:

DSC_01111014x1024_zpsf13c1faa.jpg

I'm not a fan of ickyness, so I probably won't be doing Toshiro or Yin to join them.

And since my summer dry patch, I've moved on to working on Marcus, who I've always wanted to paint - I've got a lot of the crew (and some extras) done, but am waiting on some pre-moulded bases in order to finish them off.

• Like 4

LOVE the green/yellow color scheme running rampant throughout the crew! And the highlighting is subtle and beautiful, as always! Try taking a photo from above the model, looking down (maybe at a little angle) in order to show us the deep water. We'd love to see that!

And how did you make the water effects splash like that?? It's perfect!

How have I missed this thread for five pages?

Great stuff in here. Great colors, cool conversions.......phenomenal free-hand.

I have one small recommendation for you. I noticed some tattoos on your Railworkers which are really cool.....you should put a thin wash of your flesh tone over them....that will make them appear set under the skin instead of painted on.

Thanks for the compliments! I'm glad you like them. Here is a photo, from above, of Izamu's base, since it is the largest. It's still a bit difficult to see how deep it is, but the skulls in there are comfortably covered.

DSC_0002968x1024_zps887eaf0f.jpg

Chiaki's splash? I glued down single strands of the material I use for reeds (since that was convenient - but you could use any thin stiff strand), and slowly built up the water effect on them. This took a few weeks to get to the right thickness! The water effects has a tendency to form blobs, rather than spreading out along the strand, so it required a lot of careful application of very small amounts to get it to look more "solid".

• Like 1

That base is awesome! Funnily enough I've been working on similar base design myself for a number of the TT range, except with autumnal leaves instead of skulls...;). I used Woodlands Scenics Field Grass for the reeds - which if glued at the base in bunches, looks pretty good.

For the water I started off with clear drying PVA glue but found it was a bit cloudy and clung to the model rocks. I've since bought Woodland Scenics Realistic Water but I've not had a chance to try it yet (too many projects not enough time...;)). Is this what you used for the water effect?

I should be getting back round to them soon, I'll post up pics when I do.

GORGEOUS work as always, Jen!!! And thanks for the top-down shot of that base. It is incredibly good modelling work!!! The skulls drifting low in the water remind me of the marshes that Frodo and Samwise walk through, where Frodo falls in... Creepy!!!! :D

Sigmar: I have the same problem. I paint models so closely that I often think my highlighting is SUPER bright and contrasty, but on the table they look very bland and muted... I need to force myself to highlight much higher and paint much brighter. I have always had that problem.

Wonderful job, Jen!! More, more, more!!!!

@Vonevilstein - My reeds might well have been the same type, but I ended up painting them (mostly to hide the multitude of sins that occurred while painting the rest of the model). The "Water Effects" I've used here was from Games Workshop quite a few years ago, and I've only got a drop left! I'd be interested to see how yours turn out - I've heard the more recent version of the GW Water Effects isn't as good as the old one, and it would be good to have an alternative.

@Nighthater - If you fancy paying me enough for some painting... ;)

@Sigmar3 - I find myself struggling with the more realistic tones - and I really can't paint dirt - I find the bright colours much easier to make work. I like to imagine that Yan Lo's first order on raising these guys was to go have a nice clean bath!

@Monkeyboy - The Dead Marshes was EXACTLY what I was aiming for when I planned the bases, so I'm very glad that you made the connection!