Tutorials on the basics of painting minis?

McSwervy

Hey guys,

So here's the thing, I've been playing minis games for a long time now, 9 years I think.  The only models I've ever painted completey were some Necron Warriors and that was forever ago.  Everything else is just primed black and based. 

I know that I need to thin my paints.  I know I need to work on good brush control.  I know a lot of things about painting just not how to do any of it.  Can anyone point out some tutorials or threads here that provide a good understanding of the basics so I can finally get started?  I really want to but just get intimidated because my stuff will look terrible.

You could always try taking a look at Mako's painting tutorials in the Wyrd Chronicles. He's sickeningly good but you might find them useful. When you've painted something post it up in the forums and people will try to offer you some advice - it's tempting to hide your work from the world sometimes but it really is worth it!

If you do look at the chronicles ones, I recommend issue 6 as a more beginner friendly piece. It covers a bigger spread of things.

(I always feel bad, like I'm doing a bit of cheap self promotion, when I talk about those articles...)

And definitely post things up if you want advice and feedback from the folks on here, people are very helpful and there's a good collection of painters about who can give you a ton of advice, support and encouragement.

All the suggestions above are great and so I am reluctant to feed one more into the fire but what the heck, I will throw one additional video reference out there for consideration.  James Wappel is coming out with a bunch of 90 min+ videos (53 I think) that cover, in detail, basic through advanced painting techniques, color theory, and there are also a bunch of basing and terrain videos as well.  I think the retail will be out in May/June timeframe but don't quote me on that.  He is finishing up the delivery from the Kickstarter project at this time.  I believe the videos will also be available in download format from cool mini.  If you want to see a decent example of them go to youtube and search "James Wappel & Painting Pyramid" sand quotes and you will see listed some of the Alpha versions of a couple of the videos he created as updates to the KS project.