Karina - how to get any use out of her?

Cyphre

She has been officially released. She is in the 1st M2E book, can't get more official than that.

I'm sure tens of people will be playing Tara without any Tara models over the next couple of years, because she's in the book.  Better not fix that broken model then!

Her stats have been "officially" released.  The models haven't, therefore any changes to the cards (that come with the models) will have a minimal impact on players.  If there was ANY time to re-work/errata Karina it's now, before the models are released.

I'm sure tens of people will be playing Tara without any Tara models over the next couple of years, because she's in the book.  Better not fix that broken model then!

I didn't say that. She could use some massaging (Karina that is), but to argue that she isn't released is false information. I have no doubts that Wyrd will handle this appropriately in order to get an errata/newupgrade/etc.

I didn't say that. She could use some massaging (Karina that is), but to argue that she isn't released is false information. I have no doubts that Wyrd will handle this appropriately in order to get an errata/newupgrade/etc.

I shall amend my statement to "her crew box hasn't been officially released yet" to keep everyone happy.  ;)

Meh. Come the next wave of the beta they'll probably throw a few freebie upgrades at the crew. Given the noise Karina seems like a choice target. At this point all we can do is wait and pray it doesn't end up being some absurdly convoluted summoning mechanic.

Yeah, fringe use abilities are not what she (or the crew in general) need, she needs some core ability to bring her up to par IMO.

I thought the point of the "patch upgrades" would be more to counter certain strategies that a crew may suffer against or expand utility etc, rather than basically add a mandatory upgrade to a "useless" model to make it playable.  Because at that point they are basically errata, but optional errata.  People still have to get access to the patch "upgrade", and it doesn't make base Karina worth 5SS so at that point you might as well just errata the original base card.

Maybe I'm wrong, but the idea of giving a rubbish model an upgrade to make it useful doesn't seem very elegant when you can simply errata the model in the first place.  Also bear in mind that Tara hasn't even officially been released, so it would be very easy to re-work Karina before the real release.  The only  people affected would be nightmare tara set owners.

Personally I'd like to give the model the option of 2 different upgrades, because as you say, 1 upgrade thats costs 0 is almost the same as an errata on the card.

More than 1 allows play style choices. as can be seen with the Oxfordian mages (and soon with the samurai), and also Marcus to a degree.

Summoning in general just seems like a bad idea for Tara n' Pals. No key word means they'd either have to summon wretches specifically or try to stretch her thematic tent over another master's goodies. Maybe you could squeeze in horrors or tormented but the connection's tenuous at best. So it would run into the kinda funny problem of trying to make her thematic junk appetizing by having them lean on an entirely new set of toys. On top of that summoning mechanics tend to favor holding onto cards towards the end of the turn while the voidies bend explicitly in the opposite direction.

Edit:

I thought the point of the "patch upgrades" would be more to counter certain strategies that a crew may suffer against or expand utility etc, rather than basically add a mandatory upgrade to a "useless" model to make it playable.  Because at that point they are basically errata, but optional errata.  People still have to get access to the patch "upgrade", and it doesn't make base Karina worth 5SS so at that point you might as well just errata the original base card.

Yeah, but the key thing is they don't have to call it an errata. Which, apparently, makes it much easier to swallow when they have to do something like retool three of the basic mooks for a faction on the back end.

This is a really strong point: whether the patch is an upgrade or an errata'd card, people would still need to get the fix, and errata is more elegant than a 0-pt upgrade: it means you can't keep another upgrade, is more material on the table, and is rules that aren't on the model's card.

Except then you get into the situation like we had last time where you need to actually KNOW there is errata, and WHAT it is.

The amount of times I had to explain to new players last edition what many of the errata'd book 2 cards actually did staggers the mind.

I wish I had a nickel for every time I had to explain the correct wording Irresistible, and what the ability actually did as opposed to what was ON the card.. 

Printing an upgrade to fix a model is more elegant because it is easier to make the upgrade available as part of a book or pack release, which means people WILL get ahold of it, and it's not like they can't on occasion either have the upgrade not take up a slot, or make it slightly even better than the cost would indicate to offset having to burn the slot.

As long as it's done carefully I vastly prefer fixes via upgrade. There are some instances which might be spread across 3 or more models which might be problematic, in which case I might agree with you, but I prefer the path they are using at the moment, but YMMV.

• Like 1

It's also great to know you're watching the Karina thread instead of brushing it off as a bunch of whiners that can't figure out how to play a model properly. :)

Well, If someone opens a thread basically saying, "Please, tell me how to use this" and the entire thing devolves into people saying "you can't, it's broke, broke,broke"Then I would think that would tell a designer something—Either they let a lemon slip through, or the use they intended is extremely non-intuitive. Both would seem helpful.

I think the great thing with a 0SS upgrade fix would be the potential to have multiple, different fixes. Sure, you can only use one at a time, but it seems like it would make for an interesting choiceto a player, while still serving the purpose of fixing the model without unduly increasing confusion potential.

Well, If someone opens a thread basically saying, "Please, tell me how to use this" and the entire thing devolves into people saying "you can't, it's broke, broke,broke"Then I would think that would tell a designer something—Either they let a lemon slip through, or the use they intended is extremely non-intuitive. Both would seem helpful.

Right -- it just seems an unusual thing for designers to respond to their customer base as regularly and clearly as Wyrd do.  I get the distinct impression that some of the big dogs in this industry don't pay ANY attention to what their customers say is broken / OP, and I'm coming from one of those games, so it makes me feel really good that Wyrd is different.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just going to pop in here.[...]

Thanks for the response (and no, I don't feel picked on- a reasoned response is just that).

In that light, I completely understand why you'd choose to use upgrades as pseudo-errata to avoid said problems, though still wish there were a way to approach errata that didn't limit or effectively obsolete* other options (non-upgrade/poorer upgrade choices) and that could lower power levels, too.

* yeah, it's also a verb, still feel weird using it as one.