My Tale of Malifaux Bloggers - Seamus

Somnicide

Hello all, I am going to be using this thread to link all of my blog posts for the Tale of Malifaux Bloggers. I chose Seamus, as the title suggests, and I'd love to get tips, tricks, and feedback from you all here. If this is in the wrong place, mods please accept my apologies and feel free to move to wherever is more appropriate.

Thanks

Prequel wherein I seek (and get) excellent answers from the kind fiends of the Wyrd Forum - http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/98860-best-use-of-10-bucks-for-a-seamus-addition/

Episode 1 wherein Seamus and his ladies go recruiting - http://malifauxrnication.wordpress.com/2014/02/24/opening-the-tomb/

• Like 1

Something to consider after reading your report, really consider spending a stone at the beginning of the turn to draw and cycle cards. I do it almost with 100% certainty for the first 2 turns of the game, and with about 90% certainty on the third, I tend to only not do it if my hand is absolutely amazing, and I would certainly have to throw away a good card from doing so.

Consider that card cycling is VERY powerful. Drawing two cards could give you one or potentially 2 more succeeded duels during the turn. Additionally even if your draw draws 2 bad cards, that is 2 cards you don't have to deal with that turn. That is two cards you don't have to potentially cheat a card to top, or win a duel with, saving cards for your hand. For 1 Stone a turn that is a bargain in my eyes, especially since you have the option to not use it if your hand is amazing.

I tend to figure that at least 3 of my stones are going to go for cards, leaving 4 Stones for defensive purposes or suits.

• Like 2

Well it was my standard list you were playing so I know at least how I play it. I usually figure 1-2 stones will get utilized for summoning (although I lately have been burning the corpses to make jumps via Red Chapel killer), 1-2 will get utilized in an unforseen manner, and 2-3 will almost aways go for cards.

You could certainly try bringing less stones, but I've always regretter not having the full cache with Seamus, but that's just the way I play him. Glad you had fun.

• Like 1

I have added another post - this one with a bit of painting since I was unable to make my FLGS game night last week. Also, I am up in the air on what to do for the 2nd month. I am tempted to pick up the McMourning box since it already includes the nurse and I will just kind of absorb the cost. Probably not technically legal, but whatever. It will also give me some other models to play with and give me some experience in building the crews on the fly including the master. Also, I made the mistake of reading some awesome McMourning fluff in Wyrd Chronicles.

Anyway, here is the link to the #ToMB post.

http://malifauxrnication.wordpress.com/2014/03/03/painting-up-the-tomb-walkers/

What are your thoughts on lure? My friends hate it and constantly bang on about ca8. I agree with stones to draw, seamus with a good set of cards is a scary sob. I have been using the dead rider recently with the copycat and belles and its been doing really well.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I missed it before - I only have one game in but lure was great. I don't think it ever actually failed and most of the game I used it on my own people for repositioning so it was kind of irrelevant. But yeah, I can see it being fantastic.

I added a new post on my #ToMB which is basically just an almost finished WIP of the lovely Miss Pack. 

http://malifauxrnication.wordpress.com/2014/03/12/painting-up-a-nurse-for-the-tomb/

I have a game scheduled for my weekly game night on Thursday so will hopefully have some more play related experiences to report on Friday.

As you said, you misplayed the Nurse. Figuring out how best to use her is always tough, because deployment is so crucial for her. You sort of have to get a feel for how she is going to act during the game, and I very rarely ever lure her myself because I prefer to spend my Belles' ap on the enemy. The way I think of the nurse, and deploy her, as a somewhat slow objective runner who happens to be REALLY good at coming suddenly out of left field to assist the action if needed.

On the thoughts on the Hat, it isn't strictly necessary, but I always take it because it allows me to be more aggressive with Seamus, and I played enough Seamus in 1.5 to always beware of a Red Joker coming up due to his Hard to wound, and being protected from that is certainly worth 2 SS to me. There have certainly been games where I never drop the hat, but on the other hand there have been games where the hat was the difference between Seamus living or Dying. If Possible ALWAYS take the hat against the outcasts if you don't know who the opposing master is, as against the Viks and Levi it is often going to be that difference.

I personally don't see myself ever dropping Sybelle from my list barring a batter henchmen for her role. The cathouse aura gives my belles that deploy near her a walk 6 on first turn, which is the magic number to get far enough away from my own deployment zone to drop markers on the first turn for protect territory and similar. Additionally her ability to pull a summoned Doxy, or unactivated belle into position can be clutch, if corner case. Add to that a 0 action which can force at least one WP duel on an enemy (to again heal Seamus) that causes targting issues, and add to that a ranged attack that has blasts, and again targets WP. If you are looking at her in terms of a beater, you are going to always be disappointed, as she is solid, but really not stellar, and she is one of THE models I always, every single activation with her, wish she had access to 1 more AP, even if it was just to walk. She's fine without it, but there are just certain models that reach a point where they almost scream they need more AP when you play them, and she's one. So I totally understand why you might not be in love with her, as just looked at in terms of killing power she really just doesn't stand up from my experience. 

These are obviously my opinions, and I'm enjoying reading your reports where you are developing your own method of playing. I'm very interested in how your bag build goes.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback! I tried the Bag in a game last night and wasn't really impressed - I hope to get time for a proper battle report this weekend. Also, the nurse. Sigh I just realized last night that Take Your Meds had a decent range. That makes a huge difference over the 2" that I had in my head that she had. Oops.

Also here is my latest #ToMB blog post which has my thoughts on Seamus and crew after a month of playing around with them. http://malifauxrnication.wordpress.com/2014/03/21/end-of-month-1-tomb-seamus-crew-review-and-a-look-forward/

The thing about the bag, from a strictly competitive standpoint, is that it is almost 100% better then rep when the schemes for it comes up. Plant explosives, Spring the trap, and similar schemes, because the strongest ability on it is the ability to drop a scheme marker or more on command. Jump into a cluster of enemies after you have lured them, or they have moved themselves into position. Hit one in the center with a tome trigger, spending a stone if needed, and then pop the marker, boom, instant 2-3 VP. McMorning can do something very similar with Injection.

The Bag also makes Seamus more independent, whereas the Rep, which is my prefered Limited, turns Seamus into a great centerpiece for his crew to actually accomplish things. It can be very hard to give uop on either upgrade when you have gotten used to them, you really miss having the features you didn't take, but both are very solid.

It certainly can, but you need to combine it with other upgrades. If you plan to assassinate you are going to want to consider decaying aura, to prevent healing and ss prevention. Remember that combining that with the nurse gives you a Min dmg 4 attack with excellent triggers. Additionally don't give up on the use of your flint lock. If you are already in position fire the gun, then charge.

• Like 1

Yeah I am for sure going to have to look at decaying aura - the freikorps librarian was throwing out heals via furious casting like mad all game and I just couldn't quite get to her.

We misplayed Furious Casting at first as well.  Furious Casting can only be used on attacks, not healing.  Do not get me wrong, it can still be frustratingly good handing out two heals per activation, but its better than three.