The Dreamer, How do you play him?

Ozz

I used to be very wary of Coppelius, too. He just seemed a bit to squishy and at the beginning of beta he had no charge, which seemed a bit silly on a model that counted on getting into melee to do his thing. Once he got a charge and was able to pump up his Df a bit with eyeballs, he became an almost auto for Dreamer for me. He's also good for almost any other NB crew, so he has become a favorite for me.

• Like 1

I used to be very wary of Coppelius, too. He just seemed a bit to squishy and at the beginning of beta he had no charge, which seemed a bit silly on a model that counted on getting into melee to do his thing. Once he got a charge and was able to pump up his Df a bit with eyeballs, he became an almost auto for Dreamer for me. He's also good for almost any other NB crew, so he has become a favorite for me.

I played a couple of games with Coppelius in a dreamer list and I really can't even justify him there. Could you open a little bit more why you feel he's that good? :)

I think he's solid because of Terrifying (all) 12 in Dreamer's crew most especially. There are a lot of things available to his crew to lower Wp, Widow Weaver and Daydreams are the easy ones to use. Anytime your opponent uses a card from his hand to pass a Horror duel it means one less for him to cheat in to hit you or make you miss with. While his Df starts out on the low side, I've found its easy to get to a 6 with just one attack with the Ram trigger. The Crows trigger is just gravy in my book. A 6 of anything to summon an Alp is a pretty gravy, too. Those little buggers heal him up and the Alp bomb is a thing if you want it to be.

There is also the strong possibility that I think he's good now because he was epitome of a crap model at the beginning of Wave 2's beta, but I don't think so. He's a piece that can play many roles in any crew. A mid-range melee dude, a support piece that can mix it up, and if he's the nightmare you have On Dreaming Wings on a Wk 7 with flight makes him an excellent objective runner that can get into the enemy's backfield to cause a bit of disruption.

I feel like I could go on and on, but I've laid out the basic reasons that I like him so much, and hope that it will help you enjoy him, too.

• Like 1

I played with him last night and he went off so well. I had coppelius in the action with about 6 models around him. I used the dreamer to give him fast and attacked. His trigger that makes every one in a 4 inch pulse take a TN12 duel is awesome. With 2 webs from the WW and 3 day dreams around they all failed. They then took 2 damage for the failed duels. The WW then drew 6 cards from her Inhale Terror. My hand was very strong after that and I used my stitched to pick of the left overs as well as the WW.

This was against Karai that was and ML crew list. I fear that the 6 inch bubble that makes him so good might struggle against a very shooting crew with a 12 inch range.

I played a couple of games with Coppelius in a dreamer list and I really can't even justify him there. Could you open a little bit more why you feel he's that good? :)

I didn't think much of him at first.  If you give him the on dreaming wings upgrade, you have a 10" threat range that doesn't care about terrain.  Makes him a strong objective runner, if you need that - and a few eyeballs will give him df7 for some staying power...can use him as a support piece for healing, or pop out Alps which can be anything from something annoying to deal with as a tie up piece, to a threat when used together with daydreams and widow weaver to dish out damage from slow along with damage from failed horror duels that feed your hand cards. 

If you go the summoner dreamer route, you have the flexibility to shift how you use him mid-game.

Thanks, I have to give him some more field time. I tried him a couple of times but couldn't figure him out, then again at that point I couldn't even figure Dreamer out. I tried Widow as well and felt she was a waste of SS, but again it takes a while to know the Dreamer. I really do like Insidious Madness' though, really solid and cheap scheme runner and a good model to pass out terrifying tests. There's just too much in Dreamer to remember and learn to build the combo's and such :D 

• Like 1

I found that there is a lot to remember as everything triggers of something else. I had to play about 6 games before I got the hang of it. I used to play with Teddy but felt every one targeted him and he was a waste of SS. Putting 2 smaller models in that are just as good splits AP and makes them survive longer. The Madness are awesome I always summon them because you don't need very high values and heal to full wd very quick. I feel the stitched are also good. Their ability to heal when they reactivate keeps them alive a lot longer and you don't have to stress to much if Gamble your life back fires on you. I always start with 3 day dreams as I like to keep my wakening as low as possible. I think the dreamer is an amazing support master healing, removing conditions, giving a push and an ml and best of all fast.

Best advice is to keep playing with him and find a play style that suits your game and that is fun for you to play.

Enjoy  

To a second thing, is Widow Weaver that good? I tried her once, but I just tried to summon out a Teddy and that was her whole function that game :D Gotta try her again without the upgrade and see what she can do.

For me, dropping her upgrade and not even trying to summon from her works best with Dreamer. The upgrade may help her with Collodi, but Dreamer can summon fine without her adding anything to the stew that way. In Dreamer's crew she's pretty good to Bodyguard and then hang back and play (de)buff-bot. I like to spew her web markers all over and try to get some cards from failed Horror Duels after I hit them with Exhale Terror or a failed Horror Duel.

For me, dropping her upgrade and not even trying to summon from her works best with Dreamer. The upgrade may help her with Collodi, but Dreamer can summon fine without her adding anything to the stew that way. In Dreamer's crew she's pretty good to Bodyguard and then hang back and play (de)buff-bot. I like to spew her web markers all over and try to get some cards from failed Horror Duels after I hit them with Exhale Terror or a failed Horror Duel.

Makes a lot more sense than my trial with her :)