First Malifaux Models (by SinDrome)

SinDrome

Thanks guys!

I'm enjoying painting the bases almost as much as the models. They allow me to experiment with technique quite a bit. I like how the skin turned out on this one way more than the cherub's base.

My lady likes them too, even though they are "gross" lol.

Oh, Barbaros is almost done, just needs higlights. Going to finish it after work. (Darn work getting in the way of painting)

These are great looking paint jobs!! And I have to say... The very first photos of the Cherub were impressively done. Without any Photoshop work, you managed to make a model, which is VERY light and also VERY dark in other places, come out looking decent on a white background! That's quite difficult to do. Kudos! 

A white background is best to shoot your models on, though it is very finicky and not the easiest. It really makes the photographer tweak the camera's shutter speed and aperture settings to get everything to come out well. I always hated shooting really subtle, dark models (think Jen Haley style) on my white backdrops. It's so tough to get all the detail to stand out when the differences in shades are so close. The camera only picks up a minute number of hue differences, in comparison to the human eye.

Excellent work all round, Sindrome, and I can't wait to see Barbaros!

Thanks Monkeyboy! I tried to keep the highlights subtle looking, while still bringing them up to a much lighter (almost white) tone in some areas. Hopefully resulting in what I'd assume blue skin would look like. It was a bit of a struggle at first, constantly thinking....Ok you're mostly one color, let's try to give you some character lol. His armored arm was fun though, It was the first time I've tried a really aged/worn look on armor. I like how it turned out.

I'm glad the Menacing theme came through though! I've tried to keep that going throughout my Lilith set. She's the only one left! Then on to my next set.  :)

Great work on Barbaros, smooth highlighting and nice and clean painting.

Since you asked for painting advice, I find mixing in a dab of purple into the final shades for non-humane skin works really well. Although I wouldn't want you to go over what you've done already, models like Barbaros and the corpses on the bases would be good candidates for such a technique.

Hope that helps. :)

First I want to apologize for the following horrible pictures lol. My camera and lighting would not cooperate. I'll try to get some more with better lighting soon.

Quite a few highlights are washed out. The skin is actually a light skin tone and highlighted,  and the hair is shaded and highlighted with red and oranges (in the pic it looks crayola red and all one shade for some reason). Lastly I'm not quite happy with her eyes yet, but that's on me, not the camera ;) .

Anyway, without further excuses...Finally here is Lilith along with a group shot. Comments and critiques are appreciated!

LilithFront_zps174fb401.jpg

LilithBack_zps198a092e.jpg

GroupShot_zps034cd0bf.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've been MIA for awhile, but I'll hopefully have some new models up in a couple days. My wifes puppy decided to chew through the power cord (into 20 pieces) to my light last week. So I haven't done much painting, but I'm going to repair it tomorrow. So wish me luck..

• 2 months later...

Hello all. It's been awhile since I've posted. Been pretty busy as of late. Thought I'd come back and post my latest project. This is a model a friend asked me to paint for him. I'm pretty proud of him, but I would love some feedback from you guys!

While, not a malifaux model, I still enjoyed painting him.

Oblitfront_zps76283718.jpg

Oblitback_zps544fe769.jpg

Oblitside_zps2c0ca173.jpg

Oblit3-4_zps40f2cc5d.jpg

Thanks Zfiend! I dunno why but when I first looked at the Judge my thoughts went straight to "cowboy" Vash the Stampede. So I painted him with that kinda in mind.

Also, you're probably right about the 40k model lol. I just thought I'd post up my latest project for a friend, while I was working on the judge.