Best use of 10 bucks for a Seamus addition

Somnicide

Hello esteemed dabblers in the dark. I am doing the Tale of Malifaux Bloggers and am completely new to the game for 2nd edition with just a handful of Malifaux 1.0 and no 1.5 games in. I am doing Seamus because I like the models. I understand that he isn't a great starting master and would have been better off just going with McMourning or Nicodem, but I am doing Seamus.

With that in mind I have chosen the starter box, and month 2 is going to be the Avatar of Dread because it is awesome. That leaves me an extra 10 bucks to use in either month 1 or month 2 or to carry over to month 3. I am thinking about adding something in month 1 just so the games aren't super tiny and thought I would check and see what your thoughts are as to what other dead thing I should be playing with.

I think I have pretty much everything rezzer aside from the dead samurai punks, grave digger, nicodem, guild autopsies, and the vulture. I hear good things about necropunks, canine remains, nurses, and bete noir - what are your thoughts on what to add, or should I just bank it up for a larger 35 dollar purchase in April?

Thanks!

where would you hear he's not a great starting master? I think I see him recommended as a first resser master more then anyone else.

To your question. How are you feeling on objective running? Necropunks or Canine remains would be good for that.... or Crooligans actually. They would play into you WP shenanigans nicely.

• Like 1

You have a lot of choices. I love Seamus BTW and think he is great as a starter.

I would think that a Bete Noire is good for a Big Beat stick, good heavy hitting.

I would also suggest a booster of Belle's. If you want to play 50 ss and want to keep with theme they are great. it gives you a lot of control to keep moving models around the board but not great for combat. 

Canine's are great for putting down corpse markers to get more belle's.  

Right now in my Seamus crew I run Seamus, Copy Cat Killer and just Belle's and I think it runs pretty well. 

If you like the plastics wait but if not Zombie Punks are also awesome with Seamus and his Belles.  putting A Punk zombie with a belle allows you to Lure with the belles and then get the beat down from the Zombie Punks. Were the Belles are control the Zombie Punks are the muscle.  I like to think of this list as Bloody Date night.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Thanks all for the speedy replies. I am going to be picking up the plastic Nicodem set sometime in the near future and that is where I expect to get the zombie punks.

@clement - In my my (admittedly skimming) reading of the m2e advice on this forum and the number of posts in the Nicodem and McMourning threads seem to imply that both of those casters offer quite a bit more for a newer player and that is why I made that, possibly inaccurate statement. Crooligans are interesting to me as I always enjoyed the idea of the little tykes and have some from the Molly starter that I could sub in a blister worth.

@Fetid Strumpet - nice and straightforward answer, thanks!

@malidave - so more than 3 belles? what about mixing it up with doxies (though I think they are over 10, but I am okay storing up a bit).

I am coming from Warmachine and am having trouble conceptualizing the whole idea of dropping and interacting with scheme markers - it is a complete unknown to me.

Also, what would be some recommended upgrades for Seamus and Sybelle for running with just the box set?

Mixing in doxies is good. But my use of all belles is partly theme but also using the Sybelle upgrade to give the lure +2 inches allows you to just move models all over the place, include pounce and I have three belles murder a model, then move other models away from Seamus so he can Back alley at will and shoot whatever he wants all over the place. I admit my idea is for manipulation only. It is not a kill list so it might be strange for you coming from Warmachine. This style list that I use is to complete schemes and control the field. Belles are cheap and durable. They take a while to kill and I don't care if they die corpse markers means I make more. But for you Doxie or Bete might be more you style. I like the belle's probably more than I should to be honest. 

• Like 1

My standard list tends to look like this:

Resurrectionists Crew - 41 - Scrap

Seamus -- 7 Pool

+Mad Haberdasher [2]

+Red Chapel Killer [1]

+Sinister Reputation [1]

• Copycat Killer [3]
  • Madame Sybelle [8]

+Bleeding Tongue [1]

+Not Too Banged Up [1]

• Nurse [5]
  • Rotten Belle [5]
  • Rotten Belle [5]
  • Rotten Belle [5]

The nurse I find is critical and I very rarely ever leave her at home. In addition to potentially healing your models she has multiple ways to mess with your opponent. With a df if 6 and a defensive trigger she can be problematic to kill so she can work on objectives as a side, and she also allows Seamus to turn into a melee monster if anything charges him and thinks they are going to lock him up in combat. Hit Seamus with take your meds with a ram then accomplice him and watch him use his back hand to attack models with ml 7 with min dmg 3. Stone for a crow before each attack and get another one off the same attack, giving him a potential of six min dmg 3 attacks.

If you hit every time that's 18 dmg just from minimum.

Also combine a hanged with a nurse. Hit something with the hangeds you can't heal anymore condition and the nurse then has free range to paralyze that model at will without the drawback of topping them up at the same time.

I almost consider 1 nurse almost too good not to seriously consider every game with Seamus.

• Like 1

The Nicodem box set is a great place to put your money. The Punk Zombies are really great to give Seamus some killing power and I think Mort is a great henchman to work with. 

If you have the models you can run the following:

Resurrectionists Crew - 50 - Scrap

Seamus -- 7 Pool
 +Mad Haberdasher [2]
 +Red Chapel Killer [1]
 +Sinister Reputation [1]

Mortimer [9]
 +Corpse Bloat [2]
 +My Favorite Shovel [2]
Punk Zombie [7]
Punk Zombie [7]
Rotten Belle [5]
Rotten Belle [5]
Rotten Belle [5]

With some points to play with (I would maybe drop Corpse Bloat and Red Chapel Killer to replace a punk zombie with Bete or take them out for Copy Cat Killer). I've found this to be a robust list which you could quickly get together for ToMB. Post up your first post when your ready, good luck!

First off: Good pick!

Second: For expanding your crew, appart from the bells/doxies/nurses/doggies people allready have mentioned, i cannot stress enough that i absolutely think you should get yourself a Hanged or two. These models RULE supreme with Seamus, and his horror theme.

Here is my take on the different choices:

More Rotten belles: You want atleast 3-4 of these. 1-2 to put on the table, and the rest for possible summoning.

Doxies: 2 of those for summoning in is allways good. Wouldnt put them on the table to start off.

Dogs: Great scheme runners. And can give you a corps marker in turn 1 for a "free" doxie or bell.

Nurse: Awesome support. So many different uses. Absolutely worth it.

Neckro Punks: Great objective runners. Placing markers or use them for Deliver message.

Bette Noir: Really fun model. Not a power play option, but solid choice.

Hanged: Get them! I allways take atleast 1. Sometimes two, if i really want to annoy my opponent. :)

Thats my two scents.

best regards

Sebastian

I guess I'm in a similar boat to th OP, only a few months more along.

I have pretty much only played seamus. My go to is punk zombies.

It is interesting to note that you all seem to use mad habadasher. What's the theory behind using this? It's a lot of stones and seamus is really hard to kill as is. I definitely wouldn't use it without copy cat killer.

There are some good posts in this thread. This is the main question that popped into my head though.

Also, any tips on beating an unmovable 10T crew?

I use the hat for a few reasons. Firstly because I had Seamus killed enough times due to the Red Joker, or just a good lucky flip to get severe dmg on a triple negative twist last edition to never even discount the lucky amazing hit. I use Seamus with Sinister rep as an anchor to my crew. Ultimately I don't care if he dies, as long as it was hyper costly to your efficient use of AP and positioning to finally take him down, and the hat helps with that.

Additionally in the new edition there are many models now with massive weak dmg hits, and with how Good Seamus' healing is, and the fact that via companion I can usually get 4 WP duels that I'm hoping to get you to fail I want that little bit of extra insurance. 

I tend to run Seamus in a manner similar to the center of a web of effects where a great deal of my crew is going to seriously punish you for getting within range of the WP aura. I want him to last as long as possible, and in my estimation, and I freely admit there are exceptions, but I really prefer upgrades that give my model passive effects that I can use to improve them, without having to spend any AP to utilize. As I said their are exceptions, but the fact that I can use the hat to just ignore 1 source of massive dmg, even from things that my impossible to wound can't help with, like a 12 dmg expunge from McMorning, that it just allows me to utilize Seamus even more aggressively than I might otherwise.

I do agree that if you are bringing the hat it is going to be a better value if you bring the CCK, but why wouldn't you?