Shenlong

hrnyjackal

So I had my first game with shen and co the other night. He has a lot of tricks!

Has anyone had a good amount of games with him and found any good combos or tricks? I managed to get turn one plant explosives with him and torakage seem to good to not include at least one with him.

Well I have had luck with:

Shenlong

-Low River Style

Sensei Yu

-Promising Deciple

1x Peasant

2x Monk of High River

2x Katanaka Snipers

Lone Swordsman

-Recalled Training

Before the first turn I usually summon the 2nd peasant. Peasants take the first activations giving the snipers free focus. Snipers act afterwards each using the focus for enhanced shots, then taking a 0 action focus from Shenlong before firing again (they also get +1 to hit on both these shots for Yu being nearby. Afterwards everyone else starts advancing, with the monks acting as flankers. On Shenlongs activation, I pick up a burning token and strike defense stance. Yu does the same by copying Mastery.

On the 2nd turn I usually have Shenlong switch to High River style and give Low to Yu. The snipers then begin to use 1 of their actions to move and the other action to lay down covering fire (with focus due to peasants staying close by). If my objectives are kill based, they move with, but lag behind the main group. If my missions involve out of the way objectives, they move to position for those as they can still offer support from those locations.

I tend to use Yu primarily as a healer at this point (he can easily heal 6 damage a turn), but Hurricane punch is nice in a pinch and he can always double up on Lightning Kick if he activates after Shenlong, and has built up his burning tokens. When I need something dead, Recalled Training + You Shall Not See Another Sunrise on the Lone Swordsman practically guarantees it will die.

And if need be, almost everyone in the crew is fast enough (whether it be the Walk 7 of Yu, Wander the Earth for monks and swordsman, and 3 Walks for Shenlong), that planting objectives is rather easy.

That seems like a pretty soild list.

What are you using for sniper proxies?

Do you have to start with a limited attached? i thought you did but a friend of mine said you didnt, and i couldnt find any referance to it on his card other than his  (0) "Monk of Many Styles:Choose a Limited Upgrade with the Restriction of Shenlong.
If another friendly model has the chosen Upgrade attached, discard it. This model may
discard a Limited Upgrade it has attached to attach the chosen Upgrade." which only says MAY

Why?

It says "This model may discard a Limited Upgrade it has attached to attach the chosen Upgrade."

This seems pretty cut and dry to me.  If you want to attach the upgrade you have chosen and possibly discarded in the previous line, you must discard a Limited Upgrade you already have on you.  This means you would need to start with one on.

Edit for clarity-  I understand you are confused by the word MAY, but it says "discard a Limited Upgrade TO attach the chosen Upgrade.", leading me to believe you must discard a Limited Upgrade to attach a new one.

Do you have to start with a limited attached? i thought you did but a friend of mine said you didnt, and i couldnt find any referance to it on his card other than his 

(0) "Monk of Many Styles:Choose a Limited Upgrade with the Restriction of Shenlong.

If another friendly model has the chosen Upgrade attached, discard it. This model may

discard a Limited Upgrade it has attached to attach the chosen Upgrade." which only says MAY

Going on this wording.

Announce the action  -Monk of many styles.

If there are any reactions to this action, they would happen now. Currently I can't think of any that would happen to a non combat or movement (0) action, but hey, who knows what the future holds.

You then Pick a Limited upgrade with the Restriction of Shelong.

If there is another friendlyy model with this attached it will discard it.

The Acting model may then discard a limited upgrade to attach the chosen upgrade.

The last sentance I gave you is optional, it has a may, but it is for the whole thing.

You may chose to discard a limited upgrade and attach the chosen upgrade.

The attaching an upgrade is conditional on the discarding.

It reads as you may do A to do B.

Not

you may do A, and regardless of that B happens.

That seems like a pretty soild list.

What are you using for sniper proxies?

Do you have to start with a limited attached? i thought you did but a friend of mine said you didnt, and i couldnt find any referance to it on his card other than his  (0) "Monk of Many Styles:Choose a Limited Upgrade with the Restriction of Shenlong.

I do not remember where (it may have been the beta forums) but Justin specifically said you are required to have one of his upgrades to use that ability.

I have only played friendly games thus far with Shenlong (due to the sheer number of proxies required to play his crew), so usually just use models with rifles (like guild riflemen) since you don't really see anything like them in TT.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Do we know what's in Shenlong's starter? I remember hearing Shenlong/Yu/Peasant/fire monk x2/drunken master x2 from the local wyrdo, but I may be misremembering at that. I've recently started playing again after a bit of a hiatus, and I still really like the whole idea behind the 10T; Shenlong's crew really caught my eye out of the new stuff.

That would be 8 models in the box.  While I would love that, I kind of doubt it will be that good.  I would expect Shenlong, Yu, Peasant x 2, and either High River monk x2 or a High River monk and a fermented monk.  In my completely useless opinion, it would probably be 2 High River Monks.

Just my opinion and probably wrong.

I seem to remember the art showed Shenlong, yu, 2 peasant and three monks of high river.

That would be my expectation as well. The "bread and butter" crew pieces tend to come in threes in the crew boxes.

Does anyone have any suggestions for models to proxy female versions of Shenlong and Yu? I love the mechanics but can't stand the artwork for them.

That would be my expectation as well. The "bread and butter" crew pieces tend to come in threes in the crew boxes.

Does anyone have any suggestions for models to proxy female versions of Shenlong and Yu? I love the mechanics but can't stand the artwork for them.

I quite like Shenlong but for whatever reason I had Yu down as a female character - I certainly didn't expect him to be a bench presser. I can see what they were going for (jesting gentle giant), but for me personally martials arts are the essential expression of guile over physical strength. After all, arguably one of the most effective forms, Wing Chung was, according to legend, invented by a lady monk. Ho hum, I guess we already have 2 really cool lady martial artist masters. Anyway, it turns out there is not quite as much choice out there as I first assumed:-

Yumi from the Bushido Temple starter set :- http://www.bushido-thegame.com/catalog/temple-ro-kan-all?page=2

Hotaru is one my favourites from Bushido's range but she is modelled as a young teenager and so is smaller in size than normal:- http://www.bushido-thegame.com/catalog/hotaru-fire-fly. Fits in nicely if you use the high river upgrade.

Remove the swords from this model and I think she'd look pretty good:- https://cipher-studios.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=36_42&products_id=614&zenid=92gimos0r25torgk41fgkjc6n2

• Like 1