Shenlong

hrnyjackal

The fluff in the new book mentions a little about Monks of the Wandering River. They wear grey and embody the wind. That is all we know. There may or may not be a monk of the 5th river (the fluff says there are five rivers). It might be that Shenlong himself is the one and only monk of the 5th river.

I used Ototo, Samurai (with Earth +3 wounds), and the Lone Samurai with him last night.  It was my first or second time using each of those, so take it with a grain of salt, but being able to move the Lone Swordsman up with healing coming in from Shenlong when he was getting plinked by my opponent's gunline worked very well.  Ototo is a beast - he died without killing anyone, but he absorbed a significant amount of attention allowing my others to move up field.  The Samurai took a position of ranged support in this game just by virtue of the fact I needed someone to put some heat down.

Long story short, if you're looking for specifically melee support, Ototo seems the best call.  I like the Lone Swordsman, but he needs someone to take some pressure off him too so he's not great as your only melee option.  In theory, I think the Samurai could be a fantastic melee option too, but I haven't tried.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, regarding shens upgrades swaping I believe there still needs to be one purchased. So in theory he could have one and Yu could have one so you can only have two so it's quite hard to choose which two of the four upgrades to take.

(0) "Monk of Many Styles:Choose a Limited Upgrade with the Restriction of Shenlong.

If another friendly model has the chosen Upgrade attached, discard it. This model may

discard a Limited Upgrade it has attached to attach the chosen Upgrade."

Shelong needs to have a limited upgrade attached, but he doesn't need to select an upgrade that is in play. The middle sentance just stops 2 models having the same style.

So if Shelong has high river attached, then Shelong can pick any of the 4 limited upgrades. After any are discarded from other friendly models Shelong can discard High river to attach his new chosen style. (Which could be the same style as he already had iof you are wanting to abuse the kamitachi).

I've gotten through three games with Shenlong at this point (not a huge set, I accept, but starting to get the hang of his tricks).  I've found that he works fantastic with an elite crew that's designed to go after objectives.  My most recent showing had him with Izamu, Sensei Yu, a Samurai and a Dawn Serpent.  In Turf War, Izamu was able to shore up the middle with Shenlong nearby healing and removing conditions from him.  Once my opponent's entire crew took down Izamu, I was able to move in with the Samurai and Dawn Serpent to split focus on them and keep Shenlong healing them back up each turn.  Meanwhile Sensei Yu was able to sprint the back of the board grabbing Power Ritual and Bodyguard - he was fast enough and resilient enough that my opponent didn't really get much of an option against him.

So far my tactics have tended towards defensive with Shenlong, which he seems to excel at.  Has anyone pulled him out more offensively and managed to put a major beat-down on the enemy?

So far my tactics have tended towards defensive with Shenlong, which he seems to excel at.  Has anyone pulled him out more offensively and managed to put a major beat-down on the enemy?

I've not played with Shenlong yet although he is on my to do list. However some of the more frustrating games against him he has been a support / defensive Master and he does this incredibly well. The only time I played against him whilst he was going all out beat face mode I smashed him senseless. He was so focused on building up Def stance and Burning that when Bishop with Fast was put in his face I double Flurried his Wp and he melted before the 6th attack was even flipped for.

He seems to lack any serious punch (At least in my experience) although he managed to take down Killjoy on his own but then he did have Def Stance +4. He didn't wow me when he was using his offensive styles but his defensive styles are so good at moving or protecting his crew. Sensei Yu with Low River Style is the bane of my life. That heal is just plain crazy!

Ive had good experience with both offensive and defensive Shen.

I usually start the game with High river style build up a few focused and burning and the give my hitters a push then swap out for high and have a push and fast of Yu.

With high river style Shen has killed MCM, a rouge necro, rusty alice, a waif and a A bomb (in on turn) and 6 bayo gremlins and half wounds on somer. I tend to play him more defensively in the couple of turns and secure VP then you can play him a bit more offensively. Even if someone a chucks hitter at him he is still have ass to take down. I had Vik of ash and Taylor take 2 activations each to take him out.

Yu has taken a serious beat down against chompy, 2 slurids and coppelious and came off almost un scathed, with about Df+8.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Has anyone ever taken wings of wind on Shenlong?

Sac a peasent for out of action pushes seems quite useful.

Shenlong already has 2 very good and important 0 actions for his playstyle, adding a third doesn't seem wise to me and it's also a 2 SS upgrade slot when he already has a pretty low cache. I can see it more as a donation to Sensei Yu since if you don't want to do a stance dancing Yu or care about adding conditions on him it gives him a very good action to use and if Shenlong really needs it, he can go for it himself, so yeah, if Shenlong has a free slot for an upgrade and you don't want to pick up Sensei Yu's personal upgrade, I can see it being a good choice.

• 3 weeks later...