Hodgepodge Effigy says you have to kill or sacrifice to get the discard/stone. Unless you are surrounded by 2 and 3 wound models its probably not a very efficient use of Collodi's amazing attack.

Cool idea though.

It's worked well enough for me (= Plenty of models in the Collodi crew that put out 1's and 2's for wounds. 

Fair enough :)

I just wanted to clarify because your post read more like you could use the Hodgepodge effect just after damaging. In fact at that point it makes more sense to spend the stone on a :+fate  than on a suit since you are killing the model anyway. But yeah, if you're planning on finishing off some bros it seems like a cool combo.

• Like 1

Fair enough :)

I just wanted to clarify because your post read more like you could use the Hodgepodge effect just after damaging. In fact at that point it makes more sense to spend the stone on a :+fate  than on a suit since you are killing the model anyway. But yeah, if you're planning on finishing off some bros it seems like a cool combo.

Personally I do a lot of suit stoning for that mask or crow anyways: Sometimes the control is just so needed and too good to pass up. But your right: It did read that way - Good catch! 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Mister Shine, I've started using Collodi lately and I have to say my favorite scheme running combo is Vasilisa + Stitched together. They make a very fast combo that can counter other scheme runners and by Turn 2 have Power Ritual completed (barring opponent coming over and removing it). The Stitched also provides both with a 4" aura of Soft Cover so they are protected against shooting and makes a strong beater vs most smaller and even larger targets.

The way I've been running them is thus:

Deploy them on one flank together. Early activation use Stitched to maximize time during the Turn for him to provide Soft Cover. First AP - Drop a Scheme Marker and push Vasilisa up to 4". Walk Stitched up his move of 4". Sometime later in turn (or next activation, users preference) activate Vasilisa with her walk of 6 (and Friend To Talk To Upgrade). Double Walk for 12" dragging Stitched along. Last placement of Stitched I like to place him at 10 or 2 o'clock forward. 0 action obey a puppet (Stitched) to do one action (Drop a scheme marker), and then push Vasilisa again for 4".

You just moved Vasilisa and a Stitched a total of 20" in one turn, have two scheme markers placed, whether useful or not...let the opponent figure that out, and you have two decent beaters in their backfield who have Soft Cover until end of turn no matter where they are, one of whom can potentially obey the enemy and has a 0 action obey on a puppet (Stitched) next to it that has a 3/4/7 damage profile. 

If you keep them somewhat 2" away from each other at all times it makes it hard for an opponent to engage both without having to work real hard to achieve it. If they do engage one and it's the Stitched (and you don't care to fight), then activate Vasilisa, walk away, and drag the Stitched along, out of combat. If they confront Vasilisa, then either activate Stitched to drop a marker and push her, or else activate Vasilisa, Obey Stitched to drop a marker and push her, or else if they hit her, then stone for a mask, resolve action, and push her away.

You can also give Vasilisa Thrum the Strings, and have Stitched gain Fast, Drop a marker (push Vasilisa), move, drop a marker (Push her again), or have her gain fast and just triple walk for 18" dragging the Stitched along, then Obey him to drop a marker for an extra 4". Couple that with her ability to bind up opponents with her conditions, Stitched high damage profile and potential for reactivate, or his help with an extra card, and it makes a nice combo.

My opponents at my LGS who have seen me start to use them together as scheme runners (and watched all her pushes and placements of Stitched around the board) have started to refer to it like fighting a Disney on Ice production. :D

• 5 weeks later...

I should check this thread more...

I keep finding that diving forward with Vas leads to easy targets for your opponent to focus on. Maybe Im fighting more ranged crews on average? But I find second turn I lose initiative and lose the stitched or come close to it as everything in my opponent's crew bee-lines for it.

Still, useful tactic with the stitched or a coryphee of your choice

• 1 month later...

I understand that Fated is amazing, and most cases I'll run it too, but does anyone have any interesting synergies for  Bag of Tricks?

Stealing focus (2) or defensive condition (2), as needed, from marionettes (sacrificing their mobility and utility), but making for an uber Collodi might be viable in reckoning, where sending puppets off on errands is a recipe for trouble. 

The two I thought of are:

Lucky Effigy: since all your attacks will be on :+fate  :+fate , and all your damage flips are :+fate  :+fate  :+fate , that is a good chance of recovering two health per attack

That upgrade that turns black jokers into red jokers, because you will be flipping so many cards.

Why does Collodi want focus? His attack has a built in :+fate to damage. It's ca 7. And has 2/3/4 profile. I guess if you digging for a suit. I guess.....

And defensive he has run away from home. Built in. So that I can see slightly more But when everything is slow or has no ap why do you need it lol.

Summoning effigies is cool. But meh. I like passing focus or defensive to my minions. Dance puppets dance.

I think the issue is not so much why Collodi would want focus, as I want to try something for fun and to surpise people used to a minion heavy Collodi. Since I won't be passing out fated, I was thinking load up on henchmen and enforcers: doppelganger, Weaver widow, Lilitu, Vasilisa etc.

As for Collodi: the idea was to turn him into a near-invincible beat stick, rather than a support master.

Having :+fate  :+fate  on the attack makes it much more likely that one won't have to cheat on the attack, one :+fate  is enough to bring Collodi's average attack value to 16 rather than 14,  :+fate  :+fate makes Collodi's  average attack closer to 17. Even Zoraida needs an 8 to beat that. It also all but guarantees that one will be able to cheat on damage, and with the amount of attacks Collodi should be putting out, the 4 damage should add up. With strum strings and Vasilisa's (0) action, Collodi can make 5 attacks, up to 4 of them with focus (2). 

Also, bringing 2 wicked dolls along (or just using your effigies to focus/defensive), lets Collodi make all 5 of his attacks focus 2 and throw in defense stance 2 to boot. Well enough to take out a model per turn, or to disable 2, while avoiding all harm. The wicked dolls can even heal up Collodi's wounds from strummed strings on their turn giving him another  :+fate  when Vasilisa uses twist on him. 

I'd only do this with reckoning, since the opponent would more than like take just a few elite models and would see my marionettes as a target, luring them into Collodi's range. 

That said, are there any other models or upgrades that reward a master flipping tons of cards?

I've been thinking about using Performers instead of Beckoners. The Performers are a bit cheaper, and have more synergy with Marionettes, Coryphee, and models that give out poison, like Wicked Dolls, They lose 6 inches on their lure, though. Any opinions?

I have too, (just won a lot on ebay and should be getting them in a few days~not that my friends wouldn't let me proxy with a beckoner).

I use Weaver widow with hand-bag a lot, and have quite a few wicked dolls models, but no teddy. Lately, when I've been playing against Mei Fang, there have been plenty of scrap markers around and I ended up summoning a wicked doll almost every turn.

Their poison aura adds up into really, almost uselessly high values (3 dolls around one target= 4 poison per succesful hit from the basic attack trigger and three stacking auras, if all of their attacks hit somehow you reach an absurd 24 poison :P) I've seen Mei running around with 10-11 poison markers on her on turn 4 or 5, when they would never actually matter.

A performer would make those high values useful, turning into a massive damage dealer, quite rapidly too, using wicked doll's accomplice. 

One big thing about the Beckoner's lure vs the Performer's Siren Song is that the Siren Song is a push, not a move.  So it is a strait line and if it bumps into anything that it cannot pass through it will stop.  So you can be blocked out by other models or terrain alot easier.  So you are trading the stronger action for one with more vercatility thanks to triggers.

One big thing about the Beckoner's lure vs the Performer's Siren Song is that the Siren Song is a push, not a move.  So it is a strait line and if it bumps into anything that it cannot pass through it will stop.  So you can be blocked out by other models or terrain alot easier.  So you are trading the stronger action for one with more vercatility thanks to triggers.

The performer played great in my most recent game: the triggers add A LOT of versatility (if the purge wasn't enough, paralyse!), even if the 10' reach of Siren song pulls opponents Collodi can likely reach already. 

All the same, seduce is what really shined: between a mannequin and 3 marionettes, I was tossing 2-3 scheme markers per turn into a plaza already covered in Widow Weaver web tokens. The performer could take out 1-2 a turn with seduce, draining my opponents hand.  Every turn some model failed and got the  :-fate  :-fate  to everything condition, which turned to almost certain death with Collodi's or the Coryphee's activation.  

Since Collodi could get the performer to Seduce on its' activation too, I even got around condition removal, by saving Collodi and the Coryphee's activation until all my opponents models were out-activated by all the marionettes and wicked dolls, even if the performer already activated, I would just twist its' strings and Seduce another marker.

I would take a performer for the exact kinds of schemes that benefit Collodi: territory control and fights over the center.

so i bit the bullet and finally bought a collodi crew and it is on its way to be delivered next week. I also ordered a arcane and brutal effegy's for the puppet master. Any ideas on how to aquire the cards without buying that full arsenal pack for just 1 fig each?

Also i am trying to convert up a vassilisa withought too much luck, does anyone have a good proxy for him/her?

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a pretty effective game against Raspy using the bag of props upgrade.

Took the brutal and hodgepodge effigies for a mean combo of healing and cycling a bad card out of my hand while gaining a soul stone off of collodi kills. 

Took strum for fast and used Lazarus's assimilate to use collodi's my will to give collodi basically 5 attacks with focus a turn which allowed collodi to dominate the mid field and mess with opponent AP and actions. Got enough kills with him to have plenty of stones for card draws and initiative flips and all of the plus flips let me cheat in on damage almost any attack I wanted. 

To me it seemed to work better then fated as most of the time I wasn't making many attacks with the puppets I kept within his ball with their MI 4 so I wasn't gaining much from the extra conditions I put on them. Lazarus's ranged attacks also provided a nice compliment to collodi's fast moving melee hitters in vasilisa and a coryphe. The effigies also made excellent shielding units to protect collodi from charges as with all the plus's to attacks and damage I could pretty much guarantee keeping a high mask in hand or being able to stone for the proper suit to bring them right back. 

• Like 1

Sounds pretty effective. I've not actually used bag of props so will have to give it a go.

also just to clarify as wasn't clear from your description but collodi can only use 1 condition a turn given to him from an effigy so it would be either heal from brutal or stones from hodge and not both at the same time.

also just to clarify as wasn't clear from your description but collodi can only use 1 condition a turn given to him from an effigy so it would be either heal from brutal or stones from hodge and not both at the same time.

How come? I thought that the only restriction of multiple Effigy (0) buffs was with the Fated upgrade. Collodi can should be able to gain more than one. Just like Leveticus whom can take several Effigies.

There's nothing prohibiting him using 7 effigy buffs in a given turn if he so wanted. He can only pass out one effigy buff to his minions, however, via the Fated Upgrade. 

Just had a pretty effective game against Raspy using the bag of props upgrade.

Took the brutal and hodgepodge effigies for a mean combo of healing and cycling a bad card out of my hand while gaining a soul stone off of collodi kills. 

Took strum for fast and used Lazarus's assimilate to use collodi's my will to give collodi basically 5 attacks with focus a turn which allowed collodi to dominate the mid field and mess with opponent AP and actions. Got enough kills with him to have plenty of stones for card draws and initiative flips and all of the plus flips let me cheat in on damage almost any attack I wanted. 

To me it seemed to work better then fated as most of the time I wasn't making many attacks with the puppets I kept within his ball with their MI 4 so I wasn't gaining much from the extra conditions I put on them. Lazarus's ranged attacks also provided a nice compliment to collodi's fast moving melee hitters in vasilisa and a coryphe. The effigies also made excellent shielding units to protect collodi from charges as with all the plus's to attacks and damage I could pretty much guarantee keeping a high mask in hand or being able to stone for the proper suit to bring them right back. 

Strum+Laza seems brutal... 5 AP from any master is just filth. Great to hear some good feedback on the Bag, since most players seem to settle for Fated.