Great stuff in here, but have to disagree with the apathy regarding the shadow effigy: handing out a negative to the attack flip once per turn can be amazing: stacked with the cover from the hodgepodge can negate the positive hit modifier from a focused shot at range, meaning no cheating.

Secondly, vs melee..... Must of your crew has hard to kill and df 5/6.... Denying your opponent the chance to cheat, whilst also suffering a negative to the hit, means thr first attack they hit with is very likely to miss, especially as you can cheat and your opponent can't....

If you are also shutting down AP using collodi, and almost stopping one attack per turn using the shadows (0) action you've passed out....what can your opponent actually achieve...?

It's usually been the first action I pass out on key turns when I expect my opponent to try and attack.

I've used it to lure my opponents in, then shut them down while nekimA and a dopple-kima clean house....!

I have to agree with M_Ruckuss about the Shadow Effigy, especially when facing against a ranged crew. Collodi's crew tends to be almost purely melee, and the ability for your opponent to take potshots at your models can wear your dedicated combat minions to the point of near uselessness.

On a different note, are there any suggested ranged models for a Collodi crew? And what are the preferred methods of taking on horde crews?

I actually like a Beckoner in my Collodi crew.  She gives me Lure, either for my own models or my enemies, and she has a decent range attack that does not actually have a gun icon.  Add into this that Collodi can use My Will on it as it is a Minion and it can get a positive for the actions it is pretty nice.  The fact I often take an Illuminated, who is also a minion, too means I have a mean left hook if my opponent is not careful and paying attention.

I have actually not had someone throw a horde crew at me yet, been kind of waiting for it but it has not happen yet.  Might be because they often have Shiny Toy Syndrome thus have crews of 7-9 models.  I suspect if you are against a Horde you just focus and destroy and try to outlast as your horde is pretty good.

Well I have been taking Performers as well with Collodi alot but I tend not to trust Siren's Call compared to Lure.  I am the cagey sort of guy that makes Siren's Call rough for my opponents as it is a Push rather than a Move, a big thing when you really really want that model to come to you.  Also the Beckoner's lure has a nice trigger that is very useful when you are using it on your own models, I often walk her once first turn and lure one of my own models and use the Trigger to get that extra bit of movement out of her.  Also I like the fact I can actually damage a model from 10" away, namely if attacking it in melee might not be the best answer *Like finishing off the Ice Golem or Papa Loco*.  I am not a big fan of Stitched as it seems they are magnets for the Black Joker and Red Joker for me.  I use them, but I don't trust them.

The Scheme Marker trick and Don't Mind Me are the reasons I use Performers, Siren's Call is the bonus.

The List I have used the most so far is:

Collodi- Fated, Strum the Threads, Threads of Fate = 3ss

4 Marionette = 12ss

Brutal Effigy = 4ss

Arcane Effigy = 4ss

Preformer = 6ss

Marnnequin = 4ss

Beckoner = 7ss

Illuminated = 7ss

My only issue is the lack of a solid stand alone beatstick, but the crew has been able to carry the weight so far in the games I have used it.

I dunno... I'v e been meaning to try something like:

Neverborn Crew - 50 - Scrap

Collodi -- 7 Pool
 +Fated [1]
 +Strum the Threads [1]

Marionette X 4 [12]
Brutal Effigy [4]
Coryphee [7]
Lazarus [11]
Mannequin [4]
Performer [6]

Mannequin lets marionettes chuck scheme markers. Performer blow's 'em up. Coryphee makes herself a menace midfield, darting back to grab the Brutal Effigy buff each time. Collodi Pulls ~5 strings per turn. (4 with strum, 5 with Laz' 0 action), and Laz chooses some juicy targets that are hopefully at a negative flip to df from seduce and fires into the crowd. 
  • Like 2

Here is the crew set up I like at the moment.

Neverborn Crew - 50 - Scrap

Collodi -- 3 Pool
 +Bag of Props [1]
 +Strum the Threads [1]
 +Pact [1]

Vasilisa [9]
 +A Friend to talk to [2]

Marionette X 2 [6]
Hodgepodge Effigy [4]
Brutal Effigy [4]
Shadow Effigy [4]
Coryphee [7]
Lazarus [11]

Effigies all buff Collodi move up and gain focus or defensive. Marionettes can do the same or attack collodi to push him forward or pursue schemes. Vasilisa can either move collodi up on the first walk then move over to where the coryphee is/will be or rocket the coryphee up the board if i've got good cover for them and messes around in the backfield picking off ranged models. Lazarus softens up clumped enemies and gives Collodi a free AP. Collodi shouldn't need to move, strums for fast, kills what he can to gain stones or slows/steals AP from the rest.

My thoughts are what I loose in buffing the crew I gain in being better able to slow down the opponent and not trying to make weak attacks with marionettes and effigies. By turn three hopefully I've killed off enough to have enough of an activation advantage to run through any schemes I'm trying to accomplish.

• 2 weeks later...

every time i read this thread i want to bring collodi back out. i got my butt kicked for a month straight using him and really felt the lack of a ranged presence in all of my games.

I think i am going to try more effigies backed by lazarus and see where that takes me. thank you all who have given extensive insight into collodi

every time i read this thread i want to bring collodi back out. i got my butt kicked for a month straight using him and really felt the lack of a ranged presence in all of my games.

Ranged units aside, I like taking Stitched with Collodi for some mobile cover. It's not a guaranteed safety net, but it's nice to have, and once in range, they are wonderful at making models disappear.

Lack of ranged? Bring a McTavish! He can shoot into engagement, which is cool. 

Also- Collodi is range 10 on his cast... that's pretty ranged. Also also, Tuco and Hans and Trappers all exist. There are options, I guess. I would love a minion with a Ca or a Sh attack that Collodi can pop out at 12-16, but we can't always get what we want. :3

ENinja

(Edited: More thoughts)

Lack of ranged? Bring a McTavish! He can shoot into engagement, which is cool. 

Also- Collodi is range 10 on his cast... that's pretty ranged. Also also, Tuco and Hans and Trappers all exist. There are options, I guess. I would love a minion with a Ca or a Sh attack that Collodi can pop out at 12-16, but we can't always get what we want. :3

ENinja

(Edited: More thoughts)

Trappers are minions with From the Shadows. I've used them a couple times with Collodi. Place them forward enough where he can move within 6" of them by turn 1 and he can My Will them all day long from there quite nicely.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone ever take alps and copellius with collodi. The alps should work with fated an would be good models to focus with for bag of props. And with how easy it is for collodi to put out slow you could be dealing a lot of damage and summoning a lot more alps.and coppelius could throw out some healing for your strumming models.

I did try Alps at one point - I had built a slow list for Collodi (which involved a good number of Mannequins) and threw in a couple Alps to take advantage of that. The main issue is that they just die so easily, so while the list was effective, the Alps didn't end up contributing much. I think they still have some possibilities to be of use, but they are definitely a tricky model to make work just right.

• Like 1

Ok so i recently got a Lazarus (what a nice kit) and i want to start merc'n him in the puppet masters troupe. In other games he has held a flank quite nicely, so i imagine he will fill a similar role in a collodi crew. My question is i have heard musings about the assimilate 0 action Laz has and it synergy with teh master of puppets. Is there something other that this works particularly well for. Has anyone used this and what action did you copy.

Qft. This is exactly why. Assimilate to my will on Collodi, to Pull Strings. Or, Assim. to M.W. on Vasalisa, to obey on someone. 

Or, if you can't reach with Lazarus, then daisy chain it. Assimilate My Will -> My Will Collodi to take an action -> Who in turn My Will's someone further up to take an action.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

How well does Collodi play versus Sonnia/Rasputina/Wong/etc? I've had some bad blast experiences in the past...

In my experience (2 games against Wong and 1 against Raspy), spreading out helps a lot and puppets are a lot faster than ice. Stitched have been my key model, as they can gamble an Ice Gamin/Gremlin away in one go, then I let the Widow Weaver make a Teddy out of the remains.