How long do you spend on Painting a Model.

David Blank

What are the steps you all follow? And favourite paints...I am presently using Reaper.

Well I put together what I can depending on the model. Some need to be painted in pieces for detail.

I then glue to a painting Base,

Prime,

Base Coats

Wash

Highlight

Dry Brush

Touch Up

Base

All tho my basing is really really basic, but I mention it anyways.

Oh and I admit it I use GW paints because I know what to expect from them and they are easy to obtain.  Other paints look great but intimidate me.

• Like 1

Well I put together what I can depending on the model. Some need to be painted in pieces for detail.

I then glue to a painting Base,

Prime,

Base Coats

Wash

Highlight

Dry Brush

Touch Up

Base

All tho my basing is really really basic, but I mention it anyways.

Oh and I admit it I use GW paints because I know what to expect from them and they are easy to obtain.  Other paints look great but intimidate me.

it sounds like you take a couple more steps than I...and probably get better results. I have to completely assemble and glue my minis to their base before I get started. I fear the results would be disastrous otherwise. I switched to reaper because my GW paints were old and they had a great deal on a build your own paint set. 60 paints in a box for 175.

I use a combo of a couple GW paints, a few Privateer Press P3 paints, and mostly Vallejo. Most of the Golden Demon winners I know use Vallejo paints, so whenever I ask about color theory form them, they usually give me those color names, so it just helps.

As far as steps, I am a "dark-to-light" painter, so I don't usually use a lot of inks, really I use some, but mostly as glazes to tint an area with an overall specific color after the shading and highlighting are done.

1. Assemble

2. Prime

3. Basecoat with shadow color

4. First highlight with main color 

5. Second highlight of a lighter color

6. Final highlight with an "over the top" color (I don't always make my final highlight as over-the-top as I should... still working on that)

7. Base (with Malifaux, I am using the Base Inserts, so I just repeat Steps 3-6 on the Base Insert)

8. Seal

If I am doing layering, as I usually do, steps 4, 5, and 6, become more like steps 4.0-4.5, 5.0-5.5, etc, because I water each color down incredibly in order to get a very thin layer of pigment. With each successive layer of a single color, I add more pigment. Time consuming as all hell, and can be VERY frustrating... But when it works out well, it's really smooth and gorgeous. I try to do that with really important areas on a model.

And, just for SBRunner... "Chelsea, Chelsea! Chelsea, Chelsea! We're gonna make this a blue day...!" ;) A good friend of mine is from Chelsea. 

• Like 1

i used to try and sit down and paint for like 4+ hours solid to get a bunch done in one sitting. but i found that kept thinking "oh i dont have enough time to paint today" and would go several weeks between painting sessions. now i just try and get 1 hour a day in. sure i might not even finish one step across an entire batch, but you just keep chipping away at the painting backlog each day and you get a lot more done overall.

i found if i glue the models to the base before i finish painting i just start gaming with them and never paint them. if i glue a pin into their foot, and stick that pin into a cork, i can hold the model better for painting, and get to things like the boots and under areas much better without a base in the way. plus i can paint the bases way faster using drybrushing and inks without worry of getting any on the model when the base is separate.

For me it has less to do with the size of the model and more to do with how organic it is.  Give me a nice robot, and I can paint it pretty fast (as I have been doing with my Hoffman crew lately.)  A humanoid takes longer because there are mor organic parts to deal with.  Even so, I think I fall in the "way too long" category.

I do spend way more time on my basing though.  Espescially lately.  They just seem to get more elaborate as they go along. 

Not all the people saying they take too long painting would be candidates for prepaint - I know I wouldn't, even though I lament my painting speed all the time. I take that long because I'm fussing and trying to get it to look how I want...

It would probably be a lot of hassle and expense (not to mention a huge increase in SKUs), for not that huge an effect. Often I've found that those that really don't want to spend that time on painting go to commission painters or to friends that will paint for them.

• Like 1

Now that Wyrd are def going all plastic, and many posters say they spend too long painting, do you think there would be any mileage in prepainted starter sets?

The thing about prepainted plastics is that models can be done well, cheaply, or fast: pick any two. And since fast and cheap are directly in opposition when you're talking about paying painters, and machine-painted models look like crap, you basically would not be able to make decent looking prepaints for any reasonable cost.

Particularly because it would mean they would come assembled and not on a sprue, which would increase packing/shipping costs tremendously with how fragile and spindly some of the new plastics are. Imagine the size of the box and the packing materials needed to ensure an assembled/painted Mature Nephilim or a set of Oiran or Ashigaru arrives safely. 

i would never buy prepainted. to me the hobby enjoyment is ranked first, assembly. i love putting things together. second, painting. last gaming. I take so long painting and putting models together because its what i enjoy. I dont like going to tournaments, and rarely can play against people thanks to my night shift and rotating days off. heck i bought 3 master boxes, a box of ronin, box of terror tots, and beckoners. i have yet to even see a demo game.

Pre-painted?

Guild Guard have been dispatched to your residence citizen. The Governor's Secretary wishes a meeting.

If you aren't painting, you aren't being productive.....and a productive citizen is a happy citizen.

Thank you for your continued cooperation and loyalty to The Guild..

• Like 1

I've been painting models for over 33 years.. (one would think I was better at it by now!  :D ). I started in the very early 80s with Ral Partha and Grenadier models. I just loved adding splotches of color to LEAD miniatures of dragons, giant spiders, and lizardmen. When I was in college, I met another guy who had tons of painted miniatures in his room, and I said, "Oh, you paint miniatures, too!" He said, "Have you heard of Warhammer?" Then he told me about a GAME I could play with all the models I had collected and painted over the years, and suddenly I was hooked.

20+ years from then, I'm still painting models, still playing a lot of miniatures games (moved on from Warhammer, obviously), and yet I still SUCK at playing the games. I got into this for the painting. I can't play with a crew/gang/army that I cannot paint. And I don't enjoy painting models that I don't like to look at. Malifaux has some of the most characterful and unique miniatures I have seen in over 30 years, and that's why I'm neck deep in painting them currently! I have only played two games of Malifaux so far. Yes, I lost them both...  :P

I love painting, It is most of my love. I REALLY LOVE PAINTING MALIFAUX!!1 That is one of the reasons I am so into the game. I play a lot but I paint a lot more. I am usually painting one crew and playing the one I just painted. Of course this is how I end up with 7 crews, but painting is way more important to me.