How long do you spend on Painting a Model.

David Blank

Waaaay too long  :lol:  

When I'm getting things done at a reasonable pace, and painting around work, I usually complete one thing (be that a single model or several of the same thing) in a week. But normally, I spend a few weeks on things due to not having the time and mucking about with fiddly details too much...

This depends largely on the model in question,.. it's size,.. how much detail is in it,.. etc,..

But for an average human-esque model,.. I average about 4 hrs start to finish. But my results are terrible. Many others spend far more time painting, and/or spend lots of time between coats letting things dry completely,.. leading to days/weeks on a single figure. And a lot of it will depend on how many techniques you employ,.. how many layers/shades you are doing, as well as what quality results you want to achieve. What are you looking for? Table top Quality?,.. Showcase Quality??,.. Golden Demon Winner??

Probably an hour or two on an average human, though I usually do non-characters in batches.

If it's something I really like, such as a nice resin model, a commander/Master/other central piece, or something I've got tagged for my display case, it probably starts at around 4 hours. Competitions and/or big stuff, and it'll see a lot more time.

a really long frakking time. it is really rare that i work on a single mini. most of my models ready to be painted are entire units from other games. i tend to work on 5-10 at a time, working each step across all models before moving on. i probably spend 3 weeks to a month per unit. i'm hoping to speed that up, but once elder scrolls online comes out in april i really expect my painting to drop off.

I have to agree with the majority... I take FAR TOO LONG to paint an individual model. But I guess other factors come into play - like Webmonkey said, it depends on how much detail there is to do, how complex the miniature is, it size, how smooth I want the layering or blending, etc. For Teddy, I suppose I took about 5 three-hour stretches. I paint VERY slowly... :unsure:  For Baby Kade, though (just finished him tonight!), It was only 2 sessions... yesterday afternoon and evening, and this evening. All in all, about 6-7 hours, I think. I REALLY enjoyed painting him (like I did Teddy!), so it went a bit quicker. I always paint faster when I'm really into the model I'm working on. 

For Malifaux, it's a bit different, because EVERY model is like a champion or hero character. With squads or units, I paint several at a time, production line style. I suppose I could do that with my Sorrows, really... But it's more rewarding for Malifaux figures to paint each one separately. Each one has such character and integrity of its own, and each one deserves the undivided attention.

• Like 1

I had to change my technique because I was just taking way too long for the amount of models I've got to paint. It would probably take me about a day (8-9 hrs) to complete a model. So this is undercoat (spray can primer), base coating, wash, highlighting and detailing. It was just too much.

So I've changed my technique to white spray primer (unless they are metal based then I use an army painter primer), ink wash then detail. So now once primed, if I'm disciplined and uninterrupted the same model can be done in 45 minutes to an hour.

Personally I actually prefer the results, as good quality inks/washes will give a clean, smooth and almost blended effect from a simple one stroke wash.

There are drawbacks though. You need to experiment a lot with the inks to get different colours and hues - as there aren't that many colours for good quality inks (at least not that I can find). However the more experimenting you do the wider palette you'll have in the future.

Also having only just started this technique I'm struggling with large areas on bigger models. I'm on my third attempt with the Mature Neph. I think I can do it this time so I'll post up my results if it's successful.

I'll also post up the Rail Crew tomorrow which was all done with this technique so you can judge for yourselves...... ;)

I generally paint in bursts of time.  I will probably spend anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half on some models.  I sometimes work on a crew at a time though.  When I do that, I can paint a crew fairly fast.  

One of the things I pride myself on is painting very fast while still at my highest or near-highest level. I generally will paint a single model in a single session of a few hours. I painted Snow Storm in about 6 hours. 

My painting level is such that I feel confident about winning the side painting competitions at small local tournaments, but I would get crushed at a real painting competition. I consider myself right on that border between tabletop and competition level. I just don't really have the time or patience or desire to push beyond that most of the time. 

• Like 1

I've only been painting Sedition Wars recently and have been managing to paint three minis in 3-4 hours. I'm finding the process distinctly painful as I'll normally be spending a bare minimum of six hours on a mini (not including the base) and normally much more than that. At the moment I'm only getting one painting session a week at most though so it's a bit hard to judge.

I take way too long these days...

There was a time I could pump out batches of guys by the dozen.  Sadly I just don't seem to feel the same push to complete models.

I've been working on my Justice crew for weeks now, off and on... still not done.  And I have a Vik crew and some 40k henchmen and Coteaz waiting in the wings...

I hope to have them completed some day...

I see that a lot of people is thinking thst they spent "to long time" on a single miniature. For myself I wish that I would spent more time on a single minature, but I dont have the patience. But also here is where the different aspects of the hobby shows. Gaming vs. painting, l for myself I have always liked painting more then gaming but on the other hand I havent had the patience to get a good understanding at gaming and that my be one of the reasons.

Not having any big point with this post more than, if it makes you feel happy, let it take time! No matter if it's gaming, painting or building a snow man.

I don't really know how long it takes me to do a single miniature as I tend to do them in batches (or crews)...5-15.

Of course I start with assembly and then priming.

Albeit I am only an average painter, these are the steps I follow.

Base coats

Dry Brushing

Washes

Final black wash (I like the look of a final light black wash)

Base and flock (yes, I am a dirty rotten mother flocker)

Matte varnish

I might skip some dry brushing and washing on less important/complex models. Assembly and base coating are the most time consuming for me. If assembly is included, I would guess it would take me four hours to complete and individual mini. But it usually takes me weeks to do a crew as I go through the steps a couple of hours at a time. I could do a crew in a couple of weeks if I had to.

What are the steps you all follow? And favourite paints...I am presently using Reaper.