how well do the clear plastics take paint/ink?

Clement

if you want to add shading with a wash, add a gloss varnish first. the wash will pull back into the recesses and leave the higher points clean. you can add a small amount of flow enhancer to your washes to increase this effect.

paint will adhere best after a matte varnish coat is first applied.

if you want to add shading with a wash, add a gloss varnish first. the wash will pull back into the recesses and leave the higher points clean. you can add a small amount of flow enhancer to your washes to increase this effect.

paint will adhere best after a matte varnish coat is first applied.

Spray matte varnish? Or painted on?

I used a silver on my Ice Golem to make it look like shiny ice.  It worked well and took just fine.  I did the exact opposite though, I used a dry brush technique to highlight the edges and tips.  With a wash, I am not sure how well the extra liquid would take.

you could do either a brush on or spray, but like all matte applications, be careful or you could end up fogging things.

if you wanted to leave the clear plastic as is, but paint on some detail, like say the upper torso head and arms of the poltergeist, i would say brush on the matte coat where you want to paint. then there is no chance of overspray altering the look of the clear plastic you are keeping. 

alternatively, you can protect areas from airbrush or aerosol spray coats with silly putty. much better than tape as the putty leaves no residue behind and ut can put pushed around to take any natural curve shapes unlike tape.

personally i bought the pandora neon green. my plan is prime and paint like normal pandora, candy and baby kade. the ghosts will get a gloss coat, selective wash, then matte coat, then i'll blend in a more pale color for the torso, arms and head where they have taken a more solid shape. 

• 2 weeks later...