Is Tuco the man to hire?

Kotep

Hi there,

I'm very new to Malifaux, only having played 2 and a half games...but already addicted! Neverborn is my favourite faction and I've picked up the Lilith box, the Nephilim box, and a Mr. Graves. The Tuco model interests me, and seems like a good choice, but what I'm looking for are some opinions on how well he works with the Lilith crew.

Any help is much appreciated!

Edit: will there be a new model for M2E?

Tuco looks interesting - and we'll have his final revision in our hands on 10/2/14 but yes, he'd work very well with Lilith being a nephilim enforcer.  He would have the synergies of all nephilim, add a shooting attack to the crew, work well with tangle shadows and be able to carry another upgrade for you.

he's certainly worth looking at.

as for a new model - yes, as the entire line is being released in plastic, and judging by his artwork in the main rulebook, he'll look awesome.  We won't be seeing it for a long while yet though as not all the wave 1 stuff is out yet, nor the wave 2 box sets - so don't hold your breath.

I still don't see how the new NOP is decent. You have to trigger it twice to make up for the stone buy in price compared to just saving the stone for an average prevention flip, and it has the opportunity cost of using an upgrade slot. Also its just within 6", whereas a stone works anywhere. I guess if you're planning on 3 or so stones worth of, say, defensive trigger suit options its ok. But they hit it too hard as a kneejerk reaction. And poor Barbaros was tested with it in effect and he's just not really worth it anymore.

As far as nephilim enforcers go, I think Graves is a bit better. Tuco really just seems like a toned down Illuminated. He's much squishier with a worse melee for a slightly better gun. I wish Disillusion had a better range, I think that would help define him better. 4" is pretty short for a ranged model. 

Yeah, I am fully aware that old Nexus was broken and needed to be fixed. But I think they over-corrected, and now I cannot think of any time when I would be likely to take it. They took it from Always Take to Never Take, which I suppose is an improvement for the game but at that point you may as well just ban it rather than turn it into a newbie trap.

I've tried out Tuco in a couple of games during the beta, here's what I've learned. In many ways he is a trap (cue admiral akbar "ITS A TRAP!") in that he has from the shadows but you should not be deploying him far foreward like other from the shadows models. Once you learn not to throw him to his doom anymore he brings a lot to the table:

He has a gun. Yup, that's the biggest part of his appeal, he's one of the few neverborn who has a gun. Save a card to hit his trigger and you can pin some dude in place. I've found this useful in a Pandora crew. Also blasts are fun!

He has from the shadows !!BUT!! Don't use this guy like a freikorps trapper or nino where you'll be attacking on turn one. He'll die, his Sh is too short of a range. Instead think of it as a way to speed him up because he doesn't have to start in your deployment zone. Tuco is just the fastest nephilim.

He has a cool little action that can serve as a close range lure/debuff/push-you-off-a-cliff action. Can be pretty fun when you need it.

He sounds pretty good to just mix things up a bit with the range and fun deployment. I'm tempted to grab the "old" model until the new one is released. I don't have any idea what the picture in the full rulebook looks like though since all I have is the mini rulebook...But if the pose is more dynamic I'm sold!