Hello! I've watched this forum for a long time. I love to play puppet wars and evil baby orphanage, so I thought I would try Malifaux. I bought three starter sets on Black Friday and finally got a chance to paint one master. I assembled the rest of his crew and posted them next to him. Looks really nice. I was afraid of so many parts and how well they would turn out but it was easier than I thought with more skin intact than I thought too. This is my first miniatures game. I normally play board games. 

Over the last year I've been trying to improve my painting- there are a lot of amazing artists on this forum and I love to look at your pictures. I really have enjoyed all the tidbits of information and tips that you all leave here and there. Mako's guides are really awesome and helped me understand a lot of subtle ideas/concepts. 

Please, C&C welcome. I love to learn what would make something better.

I wanted to keep the colors on the mini close to the box art. I like the box art a lot.

Basing is something I have never done. So I think for now I want to keep it simple. I got "green stuff"-like stuff and then used a stamp to make the tile flooring. My mom is a scrapbooker so I stole some ideas from her for Ramos's and Lynch's bases. They are plumber's tape rolled through this thing that imprints a design. I sculpted Seamus's bases from a tutorial I found here!

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/159382/my-painted-games-wip-pic-heavy :Here is my journal of painting as I try to learn more and improve my painting if anyone is interested/would like to give me some pointers. 

Thanks for looking!

DSC_0035_zps92416184.jpg

DSC_0039_zpscdfdde74.jpg

• Like 1

i would say most redheads (unless artificially dyed) are more of an orange hue. so i would suggest taking some of that orange you used in the vials, and do some edge highlights on the hair. then his hair wont look quite like a blood paintbrush. the only other thing i see you might want to think about is the boots blend in with the base a bit too much for my personal tastes. I would consider either starting with brighter colored tiles and then add your dirty wash and blood so it doesnt look too clean, or consider changing the boots from brown to black. the brown boots on brown muck floor just kinds blurs together.

its a minor thing, but just an idea to think about. certainly nothing wrong as is though.

• Like 1

Just finished the dog, was fun! I went for a matted grungy fur look and am pleased with it. I think it is a bit...wyrd...that the sculpt has two bites out of the dog's behind. 

Thank you for the comments, I really appreciate it! I was trying to match the box art, but now that you mention it--the hair is more orange-- will definitely change that and have more contrast with the boots. Thanks for the C&C!

IMG_0579_zps9db43c89.jpg

IMG_0582_zpsd2e804f8.jpg

IMG_0577_zps2fb26df3.jpg

• Like 1

nicely done on the pup. i'm working on this set myself, but the olympics stalled me. i started with the 2 little doggies. working on "Onehandedstumpy McBuzzsaw" (note: this might not be his real name) and so far i have painted the jeans, and curesed myself 5 times over for gluing the arms on before painting him. sooooo awkward to paint around that saw.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

First up, changed McMourning's coloring- thanks Nagash I think he looks better now

DSC_0060_zpsbc944125.jpg

Then I also cursed myself for gluing mcbuzzsaw together before painting. 

DSC_0044_zpscb9d7d9e.jpg

I saw someone post the chihuahua on a barrel which was cool. I didn't have one, but I did have a clearance samurai punk zombie

chihuahua2_zps44799b76.jpg

Whole crew- MY FIRST MALIFAUX CREW! I used the orange serum McMourning has supplementing the severed head, as something to tie together the rest of the crew. Nurses are administering it and the construct is fueled by it. I had a lot of fun working on this crew. Can't wait to get a second one done and head to my local game store. 

DSC_0028_zpsda3f43c7.jpg

Again, I'm trying to work on my painting, any tips appreciated! 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

First sorry for the two accounts. I made a new one when I couldn't get access to this one. The website had no record of my email at the time. And now it started working again.

I finally got my second crew done! Which means I ALSO got to play my very first game!!! I'm a big fan of puppet wars, so I assumed I would like Malifaux. I loved it. I love the skirmish. The varied schemes and that it isn't just about murdering. I had a BLAST. I'll write up my first experience next. I don't have access to a nice camera right now so I had to use an old sony digital. 

Tips and critiques appreciated! 

DSC02525_zps0e8f6cba.jpg

DSC02527_zpsecdef80f.jpg

DSC02528_zpsed11785d.jpg

DSC02529_zps12dc88f9.jpg

DSC02537_zps25fd8a43.jpg

I followed the magnet tips for the spiders. I used blue and brass to tie the crew together. I haven't done much source lighting before, so that was a challenge. Some turned out better than others. I wish I fit our many legged friends together on the base when I assembled. Brass arachnid was a pain. And H. Langston sits too low for my liking.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...