Starting Nicodem. Where to begin.

Averlorn

Hello everyone, 

I just wanted to restat with my Nicodem Crew, but unfortunately don't know where to begin. 

I thought of something like Nicodem, Mortimer, 1 Punk Zombie, maybe 2 canine remains and Bête Noire, but is it still playable with the second edition? 

I used to play 1.5 unfortunately not for too long. 

What are your experiences with Nicodem as a caster, or Ressurectionists as a faction? 

Any advices would be helpful (really don't know where to start with)

Thank you in advance; 

Nicodem's new plastic boxset is almost certain to be released at the end of this month, it was available with Perdita during the Black Friday sale back in December and is one of the most likely candidates for February releases alongside Perdita and possibly McMourning.

If memory serves the Boxset should contain Nico, Morti, Vulture and 3 Punk Zombies, that's as good a place to start as any really. As 7ss models Punk Zombies are pretty Solid. Belles and Nurses can add lots of utility to a crew via Lure (Belles) and a myriad of useful abilities from the Nurses. Canine Remains are also a great choice for cheap objective runners and they can lay down some corpses for Nico's summoning. Necro Punks are also fairly cheap and make fantastic objective runners. The Hanged are a royal pain but offer some great options for Nico. Personally I don't play ressers but I've faced them a lot, If I were to start with Nico I'd start there. 

The box set is a most Mortimer provides tremendous crew synergy and boost to Nicodem. Punk zombies kill everything and the vulture is a very handy totem that also drops a corpse when it dies. My next pick up for the Nicodem player will be belles. Belles are one of the best utility pieces in the entire game let alone the faction and pairing them with punk zombies means you can force your opponent close to your punks who can then flurry them to death. Hanged are about the strongest thing Nicodem can summon on his own and as such something to buy as soon as you can. I'd recommend the Mcmourning box set as well, because it gives you nurses, a dog and a flesh construct along with Sebastian all things that can help Nicodem crew.

While your growing your collection your work horses are going to be Riger Mortis on Nicodem to either fast your punks, or slow your opponent. Utilizing Fresh Meat a spell found on Mortimer that pushes your punks forward, remember this can be cast on your own models as well. And using Reanimator to replenish your loses. As your collection grows you can vary your starting builds up, and summon other pieces as the game goes on. Nicodem rewards understanding of the minions at ressers disposal as well as good collection size. He works fine out of the box, but you don't start seeing full power till you have access to a few more models.

• Like 1

Hi, welcome back! From wave 1 I would second the Belle's as a pick though the awesome/challenging thing about Nicodem is that he can use any of the Resser minions so you can grow the crew as you need. You wouldn't go very wrong over time picking up the new Seamus and McM boxes as they have great minions to use and offer you some other masters to expand into should you ever get board with Nicodem (not that you ever would).

Razhem has done a rundown of the man himself (http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/93522-nicodem-20-discussion/) if you are looking for some tips.

• Like 1

Thank you again for all your replies. I like the idea of the rotten belles (still asking myself how they may lure a mortal  :)  ). 

Wanting to take Seamus a a second master i'll go with him. 

I think there should be no problem by using a Crew consisting of 1.0 Nicodem minions? 

As a Nico player myself, I have found Necropunks to be incredibly useful. They are fairly cheap, have pretty decent mobility (especially if you get Leap to work), are great objective runners, and can do a good job of locking up the edges against opposing objective runners. And with reattach they are really difficult for small units to kill.

Ditto to what has been said about the Belles.

Punk Zombies are pretty straight forward, though my personal preference is to summon them mid-game rather than higher them from the start.

Flesh constructs seem to be all too commonly overlooked. I find they are great units. Decent mobility, lots of wounds, effective regenerate 1 due to embalmed, and they hit pretty hard. Yeah their defense is terrible, but even if they get focused down they provide pretty good AP soak. And if your oppenent isn't careful with their control hand they get reactivate. All for a six point model.

If you can get ahold of the Graveyard Spirit he makes a great totem.

Yep the Flesh Constructs are also great - that's the thing about Nicodem he just takes all of the minions and makes them better. 

I've been looking at a crew build with him that is Graveyard Spirt, Belle and Sybil to strip the opponents hand. Then FC which can re-activate once this is done. 

My recipee for zombie flesh. Base cost the skin in P3 frostbite. Then do a things wash of GW seraphim sepia, then a thinned green wash. I use Thraka green but they don't make it any more. You basically just want a true green or a yellow green wash rather then a blue-green.

Then build up highlights and mid tones with p3 thrall flesh or GW rotting flesh.

Repeat the wash steps, and finish highlights with GW bleached bone or P3 Jack Bone.

So you nearly can't take the  wrong minions with this old man ? :-) 

I

In wave 1 not really... it will be a case of reading the board and knowing what options are best for you at the right time. Experience will help with that, so I might recommend sticking with Nicodem for a few games and not worrying to much about any initial set backs.

For me the only model I wouldn't leave home without is Mortimer because of the ability to help Nicodem with generating corpse counters.

When I've seen Nicodem fall apart is when he isn't protected enough and the opponent can get to either Nicodem and Mortimer.

In wave 1 not really... it will be a case of reading the board and knowing what options are best for you at the right time. Experience will help with that, so I might recommend sticking with Nicodem for a few games and not worrying to much about any initial set backs.

For me the only model I wouldn't leave home without is Mortimer because of the ability to help Nicodem with generating corpse counters.

When I've seen Nicodem fall apart is when he isn't protected enough and the opponent can get to either Nicodem and Mortimer.

So true, I played against Nico a while back and my opponent rather stupidly left a nice charge lane wide open for both Viks to charge down, they managed to kill 2 Punk Zombies, Nico, Morti, 3 Mindless Zombies and a Canine Remains between the two of them with their dreaded Whirlwind of Death! My opponent just gave up there and then which totally ruined the game for me. Hardly fair making me suffer for his stupidity but that's how it goes. Nico needs to keep out of the way really but so long as you don't leave him totally exposed you should find him to be a very fun master to play with. My demo games where with Nico and the only reason I didn't stick with him was because every man and his dog plays with Rezzers down my way. 

• Like 1

The great thing about Nicodem right now in my opinion is that you can buy either of the other two box-sets for Wave 1 ressers, and you have signifigantly increased his capability to ruin people.  Any resser minion can be great for him in a pinch, and I can tell you that rotten belles in his crew are no joke.  They are cheap and really, really good at lure.  If you can bring people TO your support auras where you have punk zombies waiting...well, that's going to suck for them.

Another tactic that I have seen first hand which is fantastic is Mortimer using fling rot, then models with poison charge.  The two I know which have it for sure are Canine Remains, and from wave 2 beta, the Shikome.  Having those shoved down your throat with 2 attacks right after they were summoned is... *shudder*.

So in case you haven't figured it out alread, Nico is a very situational master (which is why I love him). Build up a small group of a wide variety of minions and there aren't very many situations you can't do well in. Need mobility and objectives? Summon some necropunks. Need to hit hard? Flesh Constructs and Punk Zombies. Need some extra movement shenanigans? Rotten Belles. And Hanged can be a real beast, but just remember that they are best in the early game when their Whispers is strongest. So yeah, can't go wrong with just about any of the Resser minions with him.