The new Jack Daw

Hjelmen

What is the list? I have tried a drwoned/jakuna list before, not very well though.

I tried my first 50ss game with the offical rules last night using this crew for Squatters Rights, Distract and Plant Explosives 

Outcasts Crew - 50 - Scrap

Jack Daw -- 5 Pool
+Drowing Injustice [0]
+Firing Squad Injustice [0]
+Guillotine Injustice [0]
+Twist and Turn [2]
+Writhing Torment [2]

• Lady Ligeia [4]
  • Jaakuna Ubume [6]
+The Creeping Terror [1]
  • Montresor [9]
+Fearful Whispers [1]
  • The Drowned [6]
  • The Drowned [6]
  • The Guilty [5]
  • The Guilty [5]

It was fairly effective, yanking two Ashigaru right across the table into the Jaakuna Ubume on turn 1 where they got distracted and slowly killed by Montresor. Sadly my Jack Daw got punched to death on turn 3 by Yan Lo so it all went a bit wrong from there and ended up losing 7-6. The tormented model push you get from Jack Daw's upgrade is amazing as you can pull someone into the Hazardous terrain, make them Tormented then when they activate push them back out of melee through the terrain again. I felt like I was really missing some killing power, Montresor did manage to successfully hang Izamu for his crimes but that was the exception rather than the rule, most people just got paper cutted to death. I think it can work as a crew but it's going to take a lot of practice to get it right with the huge amount of movement you have in there. 

I've just had my first game with the Jack Daw Crew containing,

Outcasts Crew - 50 - Scrap

Jack Daw -- 3 Pool
 +Betrayer [1]
 +Drowing Injustice [0]
 +Firing Squad Injustice [0]
 +Twist and Turn [2]
 +Writhing Torment [2]

Lady Ligeia [4]
Crooked Man [5]
Crooked Man [5]
Montresor [9]
 +Fearful Whispers [1]
 +The Creeping Terror [1]
Nurse [5]
The Guilty [5]
The Hanged [9]

One thing that struck me was the Montresor, Lady Ligea and the Hanged horror duel combo. When you're within 5 inches as you pass a horror duel you take 2 damage. Add the 4 inch AOE form the hanged (that strips away immunities t horror duels) and suddenly your opponent is taking multiple horror duels.

Jack Himself I found usefull for plugging gaps in my lines wit the use of his upgrades. He can push any tormented model within 6 inches (7 if you have the creeping terror upgrade) at the start of its whic makes the crew decpetivley quick as well. His obey's and mimic's are really handy and overall he's not easy to take down..

Between the Hanged, Nurses and the Guilty I thought that next game I could perhaps drop both the Crooked men. These were the only models which I felt underperformed which is a shame cause I really like the current modles. The Nurse was pretty amazing and versatile while the Guilty I really liked as well. 

I think the beta testers of the Daw crew deserve a big pat on the back. For me personally, I think they pretty much nailed the theme, playstyle and overall feel of the Jack Daw crew. Its not a point and click crew nor was it meant to be. With the sheer amount of horror duels you can force your opponenet to take (my opponent stopped counting at 25) I think this crew allows you to play that slow, deliberate and suffocating playstyle where Cuddling, paralysing and shuting down opposition crews is just as effective, if not more that blowing models off the table..

Cheers,

Pip.

• Like 2

I've just had my first game with the Jack Daw Crew containing,

Jack Himself I found usefull for plugging gaps in my lines wit the use of his upgrades. Sure, its a short range but the free 3 inch push he gets each time a tormented model (friend or enemy) activates within 6 inches of Jack meant that he's actually very nimble. His obey's a mimic's are really handy and overall he's not easy to take down..

Cheers,

Pip.

Very nice to see you enjoyed playing Jack. Just something to take away, Jack actually pushes the activating model 3', not Jack himself. It is better this way, so many more shenannigans. Also you had Creeping Terror on Montressor so it would have been a 7" range for the activation pushes. :)

You can always try some non-Tormented models, like Ronin (awesome with Nurses) and Convict Gunslingers and use the Guilty's spell to make them Tormented. 

• Like 1

Very nice to see you enjoyed playing Jack. Just something to take away, Jack actually pushes the activating model 3', not Jack himself. It is better this way, so many more shenannigans. Also you had Creeping Terror on Montressor so it would have been a 7" range for the activation pushes. :)

You can always try some non-Tormented models, like Ronin (awesome with Nurses) and Convict Gunslingers and use the Guilty's spell to make them Tormented. 

Fixed. Thanks very much for pointing that one out. :)  

Oh, also, just a quick question. Tormented is a CHARACTERISTIC right? So does that mean it can't be removed like conditions can? Eg, Shrug off and the like?

Cheers,

Pip.

Oh, also, just a quick question. Tormented is a CHARACTERISTIC right? So does that mean it can't be removed like conditions can? Eg, Shrug off and the like?

Cheers,

Pip.

Correct. Only Lady Ligeia and Jack give a condition, to give tormented (thus removable). The Guilty give the characteristic, not a condition.

Does that help, or is it clear as mud.

Correct. Only Lady Ligeia and Jack give a condition, to give tormented (thus removable). The Guilty give the characteristic, not a condition.

Does that help, or is it clear as mud.

Ok but,

Lady Ligiea can impose the Tormented condition but according to Jacks cursed upgrades, the toremented given is a characteristic (not a condition) but is still removable by the (2) action 'Penance'. Is this correct? Or am I having halluciantions again? :)

Cheers,

Pip.

mm Hallucinating.

So here is a list of how give/getting tormented works.

1) Jack Daw's curses give the Tormented  characteristic as a part of the Curse Upgrade that is placed on the model - this can be removed by Penance (nullifying the curse).

2) Guilty can cast the spell "share Guilt" to give the Tormented characteristic until they die or cast it again.

3) Lady Ligeia can cast her spell "There is no Forgiveness", this puts a Condition on the model that gives the tormented characteristic - remove the condition (or end of turn) = remove tormented

4) Pre-Manifest Jack can currently (could change) cast "Sentenced", this puts a Condition on the model that gives the tormented characteristic - remove the condition (or end of turn) = remove tormented

The underlines are the key part of each ability.

Does this clear it up a little. The "Penance" part of the Curse Upgrades is only for the Curse Upgrades themselves.

When I think of a Jack Daw crew I'm reminded of an old PC/PS2 game I used to love - The Suffering. 

It was a horror shooter set on a prison island overrun by creatures that reflected the various methods the death sentence was carried out. 

Like dismemberment http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/slayer1.jpg

Lethal Injection: http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071011052618/thesuffering/images/7/7f/Carnate_Mainliner.jpg

Or firing squad: http://meta.filesmelt.com/downloader.php?file=slayerClose.jpg

2) Guilty can cast the spell "share Guilt" to give the Tormented characteristic until they die or cast it again

Actually the Tormented characteristic given out by a Guilty stays put even if that Guilty has died.

The characteristic is only removed if that Guilty attempts to cast the spell again.

If the model is dead it cannot cast the spell therefore the characteristic stays put.

Actually the Tormented characteristic given out by a Guilty stays put even if that Guilty has died.

The characteristic is only removed if that Guilty attempts to cast the spell again.

If the model is dead it cannot cast the spell therefore the characteristic stays put.

How about if Jack himself casts it via the upgrade that has the Ca action that lets him copy (1)-spells from a Tormented? Safe to say it's permanent, as he might not cast it again?

My apologies, I always thought it had a 'dead' clause in there. 

Fluff wise, this is very cool, it is like a guilty runs up, smears blood all over your hands, dies at your feet and then the Guild comes along and your standing there with dead bodies and bloody everywhere.

How about if Jack himself casts it via the upgrade that has the Ca action that lets him copy (1)-spells from a Tormented? Safe to say it's permanent, as he might not cast it again?

I would use this on my own models more than the opponents. Leaving the Guilty free to cast at whatever is needed.

• 1 month later...

I played Jack for the first time two weeks ago, and he will be my first Outcast master,hands down. Used Ama and Hodgepodge as the only non-Tormenteds, Ama pretty much because Jaakuna and Drowned and the effigy because fog and the possibility for easy kills (at the time his manifest event targeted all enemies within 6"... How I miss that.). The Effigy was not that good vs. Freikorps but I felt it could have a use. Also, copying Share Guilt via Jack was an awesome way to perma-Torment someone.

Other than that, comping with above. Jack Daw is so darkly disturbed it warms my Rezzer's heart. 

Oh by the way, what's this I've heard that Montresor would somehow be linked to a tree, of him being somesort of hanging tree or whatever? Anyone else heard anything like this?

Oh by the way, what's this I've heard that Montresor would somehow be linked to a tree, of him being somesort of hanging tree or whatever? Anyone else heard anything like this?

You can use the Hanging Tree as a legal replacement model. But his actual model will be a man or a humanoid, well at least thats where the name came from.

More or less the Nightmare edition hanging tree is a legal proxy, but to be honest, have fun with basing you have a lot of room on a 50mm.. My Montressor is based on a Hanging Tree with Eric and Nathan hanging on it, and a wooden platform for a Hangman to stand on.

I'm loving Guilty, any time where Scheme Markers are important I'm running 3 of them. Last game I had 2 corners for Power Ritual done and the Guilty back into the center for Turf War before the end of turn 2.