For the Sake of Strategies... (McMourning Ten-Pins thread)

Kalkris

What strategies and scheme-types (between the counter, kill, defend, and movement archetypes) do you think McMourning in Guild is best at, especially with the list below? I'm thinking Turf War and possibly Reconnoiter (if you're careful) for strats, with special consideration to defensive and (certain) killy schemes like Bodyguard, Frame For Murder, and Vendetta.

My list for a 50ss game in such instances is thus:

McMourning +7ss cache (-3ss)

* On the Clock (-1ss)

Sebastian (-7ss)

* Lead-Lined Coat (-2ss)

Guild Austringer (-6ss)

Guild Austringer (-6ss)

Nurse (-5ss)

Nurse (-5ss)

Nurse (-5ss)

Witchling Stalker (-5ss)

Witchling Stalker (-5ss)

The main idea of this crew is to deploy in a central fashion (near the middle of the deployment zone), in a formation as such: McM in front-center (flanked by 2 Nurses), Sebastian behind him (flanked by the 2 Witchlings), and a Nurse behind Sebastian, flanked by the Austringers. Consider more of a diamond shape than regular rectangular shape. When prep time comes around, move the crew as much as you need to without getting too close to the enemy (in Turf War, however, this is hard to avoid anyway). When it becomes relevant (T2 or later), use the frontal Nurses to either give McM Hallucinogens or fully heal him (although the latter job is for the Nurse in the back above all), or give the foe Downers. McM should be spamming Precise on the Austringers to let them ignore the Armor from Downers, if not Hallucinating. If McM is paralyzed from the healing, have a Witchling remove that before resuming anything with McM. Austringers do what they do best. Sebastian makes use of his anti-shooting aura, and, if you have him Bodyguarded, runs out in time for the end of T4 if he can get around the opposition.

This formation has been tested once so far. I was facing a very well-executed Outcast Tara-mobile with Killjoy and the Nothing Beast, and it was a tie game. My foe would have lost if the game passed by T5, which was plausible seeing as we flipped it but ran out of time.

I would love to see this tested more by our Guild McMourning players and see if it is workable elsewhere than my meta. :D

Thanks for your time!

~Lil Kalki

This list feels like it would do interacts very well- though it's only real blasting power is in mcmorning. You've got to hope to shut down your opponent with the nurses, which is certainly doable... but it's sorta one trick.

I would suggest dropping a nurse and a stalker. The stalkers are too fragile for their cost, and the explosive demise is a liability. One is good to backline for dispel magic, but if you need more than one to counter your own heal/paralyze you're too squishy. Explosive demise is rough especially in a tight formation like you're suggesting.

McMo shouldn't need a ton of healing with organ donor, and my personal favorite McMo pairing, the brutal effigy. Gives you a cheap, significant model who can also give Doug more healing (3-4 depending on the 0 action), and card draw on kills.

Also, I don't know how your meta is, but sometimes I feel dirty dropping double austringers. But that's a personal preference.

ENinja

• Like 1

I'm not sure if a Top Down approach is the best with making lists. The game seems more about building lists tailored to the schemes and strategies rather than trying to shoe horn a list to work.

Though I would think this list would definitely benefit if you get Bodyguard as a Scheme. Possibly breakthrough as well. Amount of healing and ability to incewase walk actions could be very helpful in these.

While playing make sure to note how the game might have gone if you took different schemes. I've had at least two games where if I had just chosen the right scheme I would have won. At one point I did Line In the Sand perfectly, sadly I was going for plant explosives.

• Like 1

As Hagis said, tailoring your build is sort of fundamental. So- if you have a lot of schemes that deal with scheme markers, then the austringers get really good- as does McMourning's 0 action injection. Having a lot of cheap activations is good- so the nurses and the witchlings are good for that- but there are other models that are faster and cheaper if you're looking to do things like breakthrough (watchers, or guild hound pairs).

So, yeah- it depends on your scheme/strat, and what models you have available to you.

ENinja

• Like 1