Gremlin Paint Log

Getyerbro

So this is my very first Malifaux crew, but Ive been into miniature gaming for some time now.  Ive been realyy enjoying painting the little buggers, as well as playing them on the tabletop.  They models are a little tiny so at times they can be a little tricky to paint (as well as photograph).  I'm pretty shoddy when it comes to miniature photography so please ignore the weird yellowish white-balance.  Hope you enjoy them as much as I did!  More to come as the Gremlins expand.

DSC_1208.jpgDSC_1210.jpgDSC_1212.jpgDSC_1213.jpgDSC_1214.jpgDSC_1215.jpgDSC_1216.jpgDSC_1217.jpgDSC_1218.jpgDSC_1220.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Really like the look of these, especially Rapha. Smooth blends and great colors. I do have a minor criticism though, the water effects on the Slop Hauler, Rapha and Rami. Compared to the rest of the crew (especially Lenny's) they look a bit "blah". Perhaps the addition of a few "cat tails" in the water and railing on the "dock" could change that.

As far as the photography, I dont think these are particularly bad (most are fairly well done). There are a few things that could improve some of them (mainly the group shots) but it largely depends on what equipment you have access to (camera, Lens, Lighting, post processing software, etc).

I think the main reason the color is off for the photos is that you're using a light source (the closest one, it looks to be, from the hot spots on the edges of the bases) that is incandescent: a regular light bulb. The other two light sources look to be fluorescents or possibly daylight bulbs. Incandescent lights give a yellowish-brown cast to the image. Fluorescents, on the other hand, give a slight cyan cast to a photo.

For starters, take out the incandescent light. Replace it with the exact same lighting type as the other two lights. if they are fluorescents, then adjusting in Photoshop for fluorescents alone is much easier. Or, alternatively (and would be best, though maybe a little of a cost) would be to change all three light sources to be daylight bulbs. They give the best, purest white light to a subject.

Also, use a "bounce card" (or just hold some white paper) at an angle and keep it just to the outside of the camera eye. If you can bounce some light up under some of the hats, you can softly light up some detail onto their faces and into their clothing folds for more even lighting and less harsh shadows.

Hope that helps! Seems you have plenty of light to work with, just without knowing how to use them optimally and most effectively. And with the gorgeous painting on these little guys, they deserve to be seen in the best possibly light you can get!! VERY well done!

• 1 year later...

For the green skin I use an olive green color, which I then wash with dark green.  I then just continue to periodically refine my highlights from there.  I start with a second coat of the olive and mix it up to a lime green as I progress.  I eventually end up mixing an egg shell off-white color into the lime green for the most intense highlights.

• Like 1