Justin Gibbs, Mack Martin, and Wyrd LE Prizes at Nova Open

valhallan42nd

Tables have all been designed (With the direction of our Malifaux leads, and the direct input / feedback of folks like Mack himself) and built, painting to come in June.

Coupled w/ a Tectonic Craft Studios "studio table" donated, we'll have 27 tables for Malifaux, up to 54 players per event.

We're working to get both Mack and Justin up for this year - so ya'll will have a weekend run by two awesome Henchmen, and the two lead designers of the game itself. They'll also give charity lounge chats over a few tasty bevs in support of great causes, and be around all weekend with radical signed goods, easy access, and an excellent atmosphere.

Some cool terrain snapshots for what should be some of the sweetest Malifaux tournament terrain anywhere ...

Photos primarily from NOVA Open Terrain Days and DC Area Monday Night Malifaux ...

Board of December (this will be painted in winter / frozen tundra style ... more pics later of the WIP on the central rings, which finished will be frozen water effects encasing zombies and fallen columns):

1618252_10203813283634066_73240182274030

Desert / Pueblo, with hazardous/impassable cacti. The finished Pueblos look better than these (prototypes from last year / different efforts), and the rocks are instead replaced with much cooler / swankier stonewall and rock formation assemblies:

906244_10203813285554114_253427120796949

Malifaux Bayou Boards ... the center circles you see on the above are 12" in diameter exactly, proving quite useful for missions like Turf War (and not counting as terrain otherwise). This was a great idea that our Malifaux leads espoused. The finished Bayou Board will be similar to this, but with Gremlin Moonshining Operations going on in the middle ... pics of these further down in the post ... we actually hand sculpted a variety of the big tree stumps, and then created molds of them, which we subsequently recast ... some of our first forays into creating our own "models" from start to production:

10011553_10203813288154179_2029403661788

Malifaux Badlands ... "Madlands." The centerpieces for these are columnar Malifaux Stonehenge type assemblies, and instead of the rocks, again, swank stonewall/rock assemblies. But you start to get the idea. Mack made particular note here of the intriguing 3rd dimension possibilities of this terrain style:

1015496_10203813298114428_85156615419623

Gremlin Bayou Barrel Room:

10329283_10203996911983531_4168157995285

Arcane Ruins for the center of the stone-cottage/grasslands Malifaux terrain sets ... should get a full pic of those tonight:

10377090_10203996913023557_1908624250353

Pueblos work in progress ... the ladders we actually built out of various materials and then created our own molds of, same w/ the windows/etc.

10307404_10203996914863603_7975831516944

There's a whole lot more to come ... continuous updates are on the NOVA Open Newsletter every 2 weeks (if you haven't yet, ask to be added at novaopen@gmail.com), A Wyrd Place on FB, Whiskey & 40k the blog, novaopen.com of course, and more. We try to be as many places as we can be :)

• Like 2

Yesterday (5/19) saw a flurry of registration activity.

We're closing on half or more sold for Infinity, Malifaux. We have less than half our Warmachine/Hordes All Event passes left.
Less than half the 40K GT tickets remain.
Well under half of the Narrative Warlords (a Narrative GT / Collaborative experience) tickets remain, and there are very few Human spots left.

Nearly 100 seminar tickets are gone.
The Capital Palette Miniature Figure Art Competition is showing tons of entries.

Get your tickets now.

Also, the hotel rooms are running out quickly.

Finally, a reminder that we have less than a month left on our discounted Convention Access Passes (weekend badges). They do go up in price in June.

Demo Alley now includes:
Drop Zone Commander
Angry Sheep
Pathfinder Society
Forgotten King
This is Not a Test
*tentatively* DeepWars

There are a number of other demos coming online. Do you have a game you want to demo at NOVA? Contact novaopen@gmail.com

The Vendor Hall at NOVA Open continues to grow and diversify in 2014, already including:
The Warstore
Grex Airbrush
Toledo Game Room
Culpeper Comics and Gaming
Atlantis Games
Tectonic Craft Studios
Greenman Designs
KR Multicase
Powered Play Gaming
Iron Heart Artisans
Torrent of Fire
Folange's Ceramic Geeks

Also, as promised, further along WIP photos of the Frozen Zombie/Column ponds from the December terrain tables:

Want to learn awesome terrain, weathering, airbrushing, flocking, etc., skills? Live in the DC/MD/VA area? Sign up for NOVA Open terrain days and learn just about all of this stuff ... plus your own build-and-take day and other swank benefits. Plus free booze and food at terrain days, by a pool, while working with some awesome people. Sign up (and sign up for our newsletter) by e-mailing novaopen@gmail.com

DSC06312.JPG

DSC06313.JPG

DSC06315.JPG

DSC06314.JPG

DSC06316.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Cacti for the Malifaux Desert Boards at NOVA; these will be scattered on the centerpieces of terrain for those boards, and I'm told will be hazardous and impassable ... so normally harmless ... until someone pushes or obeys your models into them! Using comments to show some Hillbilly Bayou shanties and Cobblestone building WIP's as well (from the Bayou and Grasslands boards at NOVA).

10484344_10204211164219703_2905155679486

10343522_882731241742728_846495808358369

10443412_10204211162779667_8677827071287

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, we have terrain designed by our top terrain makers, story encounters, four tournaments, Justin Gibbs, freelancer Mack Martin, limited edition minis for sale you would normally not find outside of Gencon, signed artwork and rulebooks...

The only thing we lack?

You.

I know many of you promised me you would sign up for the events. Many of you promised me you would see me there... I'm asking you to help me out and preregister.

You all will save some money, and your preregistration will make sure we have all the floor space we need. Help yourself by helping us.

registered for the singles and story so far. considering the hardcore event, though if I do that, I'll probably register onsite.

definitely bringing arcanists and it'll *probably* be raspi and kaeris. ramos + brass + creations are next in my paint queue and I have collette and crew all painted up but I doubt I'll get enough games in by the end of the month to hash out either of them for tournament play.

if I play in the hardcore it'll probably be w/ joss cuz... joss :)

I've got my fingers crossed that there will be a bit more variety than @ adepticon this year (wasn't *super* mono-crew/faction, but wave 2 was brand new and maybe the local meta there played a role). based on what I've heard so far, it already seems likely that it will be ;)

• Like 1

You need to play the Hardcore. It's a great time. It's like the speed chess version of Malifaux. Not at all serious. For our test games, I was running Sybelle, Jaakuna, a Belle, and a Downed. I camped mid field and just dared them to move into the center. It was a hell of a lo of fun. I didn't always win, but I always made them sweat.

If I was playing instead of co-running it with Eshadie, I'd be bringing Von Schill and Tara (Outcast) out to play. Tara does so well at Squatter's Rights, it hurts.

And VS just kills things dead.

I'm registered for everything but the doubles. 

This is my first Convention I've gone to more than one event at so I'm particularly psyched! 

I'll be bringing Neverborn with me (if any other Neverborn players are looking for a doubles partner shoot me a pm: I can also double with Ressers as I dabble a bit) 

I know that feel (w/ gremlins). I've got the somer box cuz of johana, but my gut reaction is to just try and give the rest away.  On the other hand, I could paint them up for use as a demo crew (not that I don't have enough to paint already!).

I do think maybe my anti-gremlin feelings are a bit of a hold-over from 1.5 as they were just kind of a joke. In 2E, they're still funny but they are *no joke*.

I already gave away my Wong model, who I loved in 1.5 for handing out magical weapons as a merc (and I actually really enjoyed his fluff)... I could see myself *possibly* picking up Wong's crew box when it releases and now with the nightmare whiskey golem that I just *have* to buy... I may be doomed. ;)

People felt the same way for years about 40k Orks. I think people will come around, not necessarily to liking Gremlins, but at least to accepting them as a legitimate force. They make for a hell of a red joker damage hit...

I'm also glad this is one of the first larger tournaments that will feature Gremlins in plastic. We'll probably see more than a few gremlin players, given that our practice tournament was over half gremlins.

Perhaps YanLo painted as Lo Pan?

Now there is a neat idea! 

People felt the same way for years about 40k Orks. I think people will come around, not necessarily to liking Gremlins, but at least to accepting them as a legitimate force. They make for a hell of a red joker damage hit...

I'm also glad this is one of the first larger tournaments that will feature Gremlins in plastic. We'll probably see more than a few gremlin players, given that our practice tournament was over half gremlins.

Oh don't get me wrong: I definitively consider them a real faction

For me they just don't appeal to any of my interests or well liked Troupes and themes. 

I see them do very well in tournaments in personal experience. They seem to have a lot of ways to burn themselves down for bonuses and in a setting where you don't get the full 5 rounds in that becomes very effective. 

Also looking forward to meeting Justin and Mack! Is there a separate seminar or something I need to sign up for to say hello? 

• Like 1