Welcome to the new site ..

Nathan Caroland

What are your thoughts on the new site?  

191 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's cleaner, but I liked the old look better.

Also, the banner slideshow should really be clickable/linked. I was just like "Hmm, never really paid attention to whatever Showdown is, I'll take a look... *click...click...no link, bored now*" which kind of defeats the purpose of the ad: otherwise, it's just a distracting part of the site that moves.

This is the only forum I know that doesn't shrink to fit my browser size. I have to scroll to read anything. Is anyone else using chrome and using less than fullscreen windows? 

its so big, I don't know if I like it or not. I mean, its HUGE peoples avatars are over 3 "  tall!

Go to first unread post needs a return.

As does some semblance of functionality on Mobiles without having to use the ugly mobile version. It needs to scale to browser size.

I'd like to see a list of recent posts, instead of recent threads.

Just a few. Overall not bad. I think I like the new look more, but the old one functioned better.

Thought the site was pretty awful but then I realized I was using my (probably outdated) version of IE to check it out.  Switched to Firefox and everything looks pretty and not cut off.  So far the site is interesting, gonna need some time with it I guess.

Also I love that the other games are all getting their own forums.  Especially Through the Breach as it means we'll hopefully see it on shelves sometime soon!  (Maybe...)

One thing I'm already missing, Wyrd specific graphics, emojis, whatever the hell they're called.  Can't add plus or minus fate symbols or flaming puppets or nothing.  Hope that's not a limitation of the new format.  They made quoting rules for discussion much better.

• Like 1

I'm sure there are many new features that will prove useful, when I've actually found them, though I willl admit I am not a terribly sophisticated user.

I can't help but notice the amount of redundant space on the screen however. Avatars and profile now take up as much space as posts. Is there a way to change the layout to change the balance between posts and 'other stuff' ?

Sorry, but the new look's barely readable for me. I don't know who had the idea of bright USERNAME BARS HEY DO YOU KNOW WHO POSTED THIS HERE'S THEIR USERNAME!!!!1! (oh and some post content), but now I have to focus consciously to read the actual content. Not an improvement at all.

(if there's a way to switch them to plain usernames in the old-style layout, let me know and I'll take back my complaints)

New forum/site looks great. I really like the layout of the posts and bigger avatars.
Coloring looks calming and I prefer it to brighter ones..

Only problem I have is that I've lost all my subscribed threads :unsure:  and some of that stuff is buried deep in the bowels of Miniature Showcase and Matters. I should've probably bookmarked the ones with useful paining/modelling tips.

I can see much of the value that the new format offers, but am concerned that others may be having a problem similar to mine. While browsing on an older computer, the amount of "moving parts", as it were, slows the forum to such a crawl that it is no longer a relaxing or enjoyable experience to browse the forums, pausing to load every time I scroll up or down the page with only a single tab of the website open; further, managing multiple tabs of the webpage, as I often do while reading forums, is nearly impossible. Is there any way to offer a more bare-bones visual option to readers?

As for whether I like the new layout or not, I'm finding the page feels much more cluttered, but things seem to move more smoothly. I think I might need to get used to things before I can really say if I like the change.

For me, the user info is actually really disconcerting- it used to be where folks' sigs would go, which I like to read, but now I see the next poster's BIG NAME (which eliminates any interesting capitalization) and a bunch of info I ignore... and I'm so used to seeing the username vertically aligned with the avatar, which makes it actually harder for me to scan for username... this last part is probably a matter of getting used to it, but the rest are functionality issues IMHO.

Well, if I could find it I'd tell you :P

I know that when I came here 1-2 weeks ago (before the forum engine change) there was still an old ed rule section, I can't find it now and I double-checked.

If 1.5ed rule/tactics chat material is still around and you could point me to it, I'd appreciate it.