AtomBalm's Painting thread

AtomBalm

I love painting, especially these new Malifaux plastics, the sculpts and quality are insane. I wanted to start sharing them here with you and get your feed back and ideas on how i could improve. So for the month of January i started my first Malifaux crew. I love the new look of their plastic models and really enjoy painting individual models over churning out multiples of the same thing(I also play warhammer and the model count is killing me). I took a month and did the masters of the Path crew (YAN LO)

I had so much fun painting and basing these. I used secret weapon blasted wetlands bases, with realistic water, tall grass, moss and leaves. They look better in person. Let me know if you have any question on what paints i used (almost all GW) i also used a paint on matte varnish dulcote. Sorry the pics aren't the best, still working on a set up to shoot pix of my models. I have two more models to paint to go along with this crew, maybe three. I'll post em as i get them done. Let me know what you guys think! bottom picture was an attempt to better see the water effects. Click pix for larger images.

IMG_4142.jpg

IMG_4143.jpg

IMG_4144.jpg

IMG_4146.jpg

IMG_4147.jpg

• Like 2

Very nice models, especially Yan and Chiaki. Love the bases.

I really like the addition of moustache on Yan Lo and a darker flesh tone, which makes him look more alive. He looks a bit like an Indian wise man.

Chiaki looks almost exactly like the one in concept art, which is great.

Soul Porter was the favourite model from this set, but this color scheme looks a bit too colorful on him and he looks too mundane (like I would imagine Shen Longs peasants).

His hat is very nicely painted and it might be the case that the photo isn't giving him/it due credit.

---------- Post added at 05:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

One minor problem I just noticed is that the Ashigaru on Yan Lo's base has a top of the skull which is too white and it stands out.

Edited by Linus Mcmold
forum changes
  • Like 1

Thanks! Yeah i totally agree on the soul porter. The biggest problem i am having with him is getting those damn lanterns to look right. His whites and skin look a lot better in person. I think i need to go back and touch up the hair, and figure out how to paint that lantern! and yes i forgot to wash the top of old boys skull after i touched it up!

Cool bases!

The lanterns might use some yellow with a little off-white or ochre to brighten them while dulling the yellow so it doesn't make your highlights become lemon-colored.

Alternatively, if you're comfortable with/willing to try sourcelighting, you could have some light bounce off stuff near by.

Linus's idea of exaggerating the dark parts around them also works.

• Like 1

These look great! Unfortunately chrome didn't like opening the thumbnails so I had to go into another browser to look at them instead as they were so tempting. I love the texture to Yan Lo's robe and Chiaki looks beautiful in that colour palette, particularly with those greys.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I have to say many of my color choices were inspired by work i saw on here. This is an amazingly talented community, and i'm pumped to be sharing my work with you all. The Armor is getting done this week, hopefully i'll have a pic soon. Going with a similar color scheme as the ashigaru to try and create a little continuity. 

ok here are my current WIPs. gotta start on the bases soon so i can get these two on the table. Got some touchups i want to do to the armor but it should be close to done. Please give me feedback and any ideas on how i can make these look better. I am struggling with the arrow sticking out of his chest, i can't get the feather part to look quite right. Also i am not sure how detailed to go on the fan. RIght now it's just a gradient.

photo.jpg

• Like 2

Hey all! Here is my finished Yan. I am not sure i like the blue vein that much. What do you all think? Sorry the pictures aren't the best. I'm in the middle of moving and haven't had time to set up the camera. I guys the two things i would really love feedback on are the veins/ upper guts area. Is it too dark? and the black around the eyes. Too much? wanted to add a little extra. Thank you for your time.

photo_4.jpg

photo_4.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...