Making mist?

Bumpasses

Hey everyone

I was trying to use liquitex to make an ethereal mist for huggy, but it just looks like water...

anyone have any secret tricks or tips?

I want to be able to see the wood base im painting through the mist...so essentially a cthulu-esque figure surrounded by ethereal mist, on a wood floor.

That is why I was trying liquitex and just dry brushing it white, so you could make out the feint wood floor through the mist, but it looks more like white caps on water, it doesn't have the smooth roundy-ness of mist (smoke).

Cotton/balls look meh, I was hoping for something more authentic looking.

thanks in advance

-joshuah

I've never tried to do something like this before, but I do know from doing swamp water that if you want colored liquitex, then you need to mix the coloring in with the liquitex before applying rather than painting the final product. I'm not sure if it will give the desired result but I would try pouring some liquitex into a cup and mixing it with a VERY small amount. Can't emphasize enough how important it is to use very little white (if using paint, ink works best) because if you use to much the liquitex will just be white, not a transparent white

I've never tried to do something like this before, but I do know from doing swamp water that if you want colored liquitex, then you need to mix the coloring in with the liquitex before applying rather than painting the final product. I'm not sure if it will give the desired result but I would try pouring some liquitex into a cup and mixing it with a VERY small amount. Can't emphasize enough how important it is to use very little white (if using paint, ink works best) because if you use to much the liquitex will just be white, not a transparent white

I have actually been playing with this. Have come up with a nice mix for the green glow im going to use this for the "hungering darkness" that seems to eminate from the model in all the art. Using a smidge of turqueoise ink to color it with a white dry brush highlighting. But yes its interesting how the same amount of white just totally bleaches it.

I just cant get it to not look like water when using it in larger amounts...

I suppose I could sculpt the swirlies...paint them white, then do clear liquitex whispies on top of that....just wont beable to see the base now.

Anyone seen a clear form of green stuff out there?

Edited by Bumpasses

I'd think the key points are shape, transparency, and the fact that mist is matte, not gloss.

In which case, a tiny bit of pale grey in some liquitex super heavy texture gel, sculpted to make misty swirls (maybe some white and texture gel mixed for the light bits like the tops of the swirls, to give it colour variation), and then a coat of matte varnish to take the wet shine off it.

Not tried it, but that would be my starting point if I experimented.

Oh, and it would take ages as texture gel only dries in a sensible time if it's in thin layers, 1-2mm thick

You could try clear Polyfiber as well (much better than cotton balls). You should be able to get your hands on it at a good fabric store (typically used as filling for quilts, teddy bears, etc. You might even be able to get it at a Model Train Store.

Shape and paint it off the model then glue it on in thin whisps (it is a great product for this)

Aside from that you can add some Tamiya Smoke or Citadel Shade Agrax Earthshade (or any brownish/ black ink) to a water effect product (I recommend the Woodland Scenics Water Effect).