When is McMourning better than other Guild Masters?

Math Mathonwy

That's all I run with him. I imagine his knowledge of undead help them a lot. The irony being he probably made them.

I kind of think it would be hilarious if he could still do his summon tricks in guild with the stipulation that no friendly models can draw LOS and the summon models gain something similar to Perdita's new Mark of Shame condition.

Lady J and the judge don't suspect a thing.         

Didn't book one (1.5) suggest that they did suspect him but couldn't prove anything? then Lucius comes along and removes the "heat" from him aslong as works under Lucius' authority.

Kind of a similar situation as Sonnia knowing there is something going on with Lucius but not being able to prove it.

As for Guild Mcmourning, being able to hand out the ability to ignore armour and hard to wound onto decent shooting troops can be an issue for arcanists and ressurectionists I imagine (still haven't played him as guild)

• 3 weeks later...

My personal list which I call KataMcMourning Damacy has worked remarkably. I played a 40ss list with it this past Thursday and it was splendid.

McMourning - Guild - 7ss (3)

* On the Clock (1)

Sebastian (7)

* Lead Lined Coat (2)

Guild Austringer (6)

Guild Austringer (6)

Nurse (5)

Nurse (5)

Witchling Stalker (5)

The game was, incidentally, against another Tara player and was again using Reconnoiter as a strategy. The schemes were different than the last time I had this configuration, however, and had we played the whole thing out (which we did not due to concession on the Tara player's part) it would have ended up a 10-4 game in my favor. Plus, my game did not have me piggybacking off of the Austringers, which was nice. I mainly used them as a deterrent, and instead used the Good Doctor as the brunt of the pain.

My only regret was that the master I faced and the strategy we played were not different than before, but I do also like that the 10ss difference from the last game I used with KataMcMourning Damacy still felt natural.

~Lil Kalki

• 3 weeks later...

But the only bit of fluff that they gave for him to be able to continue to be a ressur under the guild's watch was Lucius the Gov's Secretary sayin, basically, "Hey... we know what you're doin'. Don't stop it. Just use it to help us." Which is pretty paper thin. Lady Justice wouldn't stand for that crap, even if his paperwork were in order.

Where was that said?

Where was that said?

There's a story called Formeldahyde nights in the 6th Wyrd Chronicles. Its a very entertaining tale.

On the whole Lady Justice thing, it's clear from the story (and Lucius' tactics in general) that anything Mcmourning does is under the table. In the story, Lucius mentions he's using Mcmouring to even kill Ressers for him. I'm sure Lucius makes sure that the Death Marshalls never come knocking. Lady Justice is probably completely ignorant of his existence within the guild. If she does know about him, she'll either know that he is a simple coroner, or she might have heard of his exploits in killing Undead-making scum. Lady Justice (and the rest of the Marshalls) surely don't know about him. Lucius is far too good at keeping things under wraps to let it slide, especially to a woman who would without a doubt kill one of his assets. Lady Justice would never end up fighting alongside him, and if she did she would probably figure it out. It really makes a whole lot of sense, in my opinion.

There's a story called Formeldahyde nights in the 6th Wyrd Chronicles. Its a very entertaining tale.

On the whole Lady Justice thing, it's clear from the story (and Lucius' tactics in general) that anything Mcmourning does is under the table. In the story, Lucius mentions he's using Mcmouring to even kill Ressers for him. I'm sure Lucius makes sure that the Death Marshalls never come knocking. Lady Justice is probably completely ignorant of his existence within the guild. If she does know about him, she'll either know that he is a simple coroner, or she might have heard of his exploits in killing Undead-making scum. Lady Justice (and the rest of the Marshalls) surely don't know about him. Lucius is far too good at keeping things under wraps to let it slide, especially to a woman who would without a doubt kill one of his assets. Lady Justice would never end up fighting alongside him, and if she did she would probably figure it out. It really makes a whole lot of sense, in my opinion.

Original rulebook has her visiting him when Seamus left Molly behind after fighting Raspie and she ended up in his morgue.

NEVER!!!! Filthy Rezzer contaminating my righteous Guild forces!!

Sorry....I couldn't resist. I can't help you because I'll never use him........like Fetid, I have an intense personal distaste that he is dual-Guild. Nothing to do with the game or the mechanics, just a personal thing.

Its fine, I quite happy that he now straddles the line between 2 factions I'm really enjoying in m2e. He's like a mog, half man half dog he's his own best friend. But I have to say the part of it all that sells me is the greatest ability name in the game, By order of the governor Secretary, I love saying that...

My take on the matter is that Lady J and others are warriors.  They go forth and battle and risk their lives for righteous reasons.  They have the power of "right" on their side and use sanctioned violence to achieve their goals.

They have a whole support system to assist them in their tasks, from faceless Guardsmen to Lawyers to hired hands.

And they also have this very eccentric Mortician. 

But Morticians are Doctors and Doctors are bookworms.  Sure, they are strange and surround themselves with other strange looking/acting people.  Not Warriors like themselves.  These Intellects know-not of battle and blood and death.  They have never stared into the eyes of an opponent and seen in-human despair and hatred. 

So because of that, and because of "The System" in which others (The Governor and Lucius, or is it Lucius and The Governor?) control and rule over, make decisions and implement policy and procedure, the Warriors of the world do not look inward.  They write off the Coroner's idiosyncrasies as "scientist's behavior" and accept it at face value.

So, because of this whole "System" I feel that Lady Justice wouldn't pick up on the festering issues within the Guild.  Just as C. Hoffman is torn with Arcanist ties, Perdita is most likely the spawn of some Human-Neverborn mating, Sonnia battles external and internal forces that only her will allows her to survive and Lucas works for the Guild because the Oyanbun instructs him to.

The Guild.  Not what the People think.

• 1 month later...

Hey all, sorry if I am pulling a McMourning on the thread (however fitting it may be). I managed a decent game against Freikorps Von Schill w/ Ama no Zako support on the foes end. 50ss Reconnoiter (I regret to inform that Turf War STILL has yet to come up in my games as Guild >_<). We both took unannounced Bodyguards and Plant Explosives. I wielded the same list as above +2 Witchling Stalkers.

The game ended on a gambit for me, in that Sebastian was at 5 wounds turn 5, and his Strongarm was at full. Had Sebastian survived with those wounds, it would have been a tie game. But alas, as bad things happen, he did not. The Strongarm, on the other hand, was totally fine, with more than enough wounds to gain my opponent the full 3 for the scheme. My opponent was also initially confused and thought we had Plant Evidence instead of Plant Explosives. Upon learning of this, he shifted plans towards that and got a full 3 to my 2. IMHO, still worth it. Last turn he was denied Reconnoiter. At some point prior I was also denied this for a turn.

While I lost (9-7 Von Schill), highlights on my end include scattering away from Ama no Zako's Miasma of Boils and Flies (a RIDICULOUS action... And one which took a few lives, too) but still managing to score points for Reconnoiter, Paralyzing Von Schill for a turn and giving him :-fate on all duels for two before eventually wrecking his face to the grave, and offing a Freikorpsmann with a birdy with Precise. Precise was a MEAN trick for this matchup. Had terrifying not been a factor on Ama, she'd've died to it too.

I did have another Reconnoiter game prior to this where the score was similar (v. Mei Feng as Arcanist for Howard Langston support). I'd lost but it honestly could have gone either way.

My analysis is that my configuration is a helluva lot of fun to play (even as only Wave 1 goods) and I STRONGLY suggest trying it out. To get it on the table fastest I'd suggest just getting McM's box, Sonnia's box, 2 Austringers, and the Guild arsenal pack for Lead-Lined Coat. Just focus on piecing together the relevant models or whatever. I want to hear more about this and similar configs in Reconnoiter AND Turf War games. That's almost half of all the games you'll be playing. Y'all should get on that, stat.

~Lil Kalki

I'm glad you did rezz the thread (I'd never have come across it otherwise) as i've just purchased the McM crew box and have quite a lot of guild to support him.

The Nurses and Witchlings are definite inclusions though i'm not completely sold on the Austringers for McM, i could be wrong.  

I'm favouring Cisco's El Mayor and Sidir's promises for a  :+fate flipping crazy Df7 Doctor. 

• Like 1

I'm glad you did rezz the thread (I'd never have come across it otherwise) as i've just purchased the McM crew box and have quite a lot of guild to support him.

The Nurses and Witchlings are definite inclusions though i'm not completely sold on the Austringers for McM, i could be wrong.  

I'm favouring Cisco's El Mayor and Sidir's promises for a  :+fate flipping crazy Df7 Doctor. 

I definitely think that against either Rezzers, Arcanists, or Outcasts if you know the foe is going Freikorps-heavy, Austringers are fun as you hand out Precise to them and they pick off foes like candy (but not necessarily Candy, because precise doesn't get around Manipulative XD).

The odd thing about this configuration of mine is that it's resource heavy, but not conventionally so. It requires a ton of tomes and crows in hand (more tomes on the defensive and a mix on the offensive), but you could honestly spend half of each turn either taking Defensive Stance or moving around. When the opponent gets in your grill, then you grill them.

I guess the key weakness for the KataMcMourning is that one could completely ignore it and still get full points, potentially tying the game or winning. Granted, my only experience so far is Reconnoiter (and I think Turf War is better in theory), but McM-ball simply wants to stay relatively put once it is where it needs to be. It's also a bit slow to move around, but in the strats you take it for, that isn't a huge problem. It may even be okay for Squatters' Rights, assuming your objectives are next to each other. With regards to Reckoning, if you can manage to balance your offense and defense priorities, you might score a point or 2 more than your opponent for it. Stake a Claim is the rare strat and KataMcMourning should not be used with it due to its high demand for mobility.

In any case, just go for the strat and think of what your foe might take as schemes, while using your own, which should mostly focus on defense and staying put. The optimal scheme pool for you is ALitS, Bodyguard, Protect Territory, Cursed Object, and either Spring the Trap or Plant Explosives, I think.

Cheers!

~Lil Kalki

Precise to Austringers or any good shooter is nasty.  With Witchling Stalkers in the crew Samuel seems useful as well bringing a burning option along with Poison.  Something i forgot to mention was hiring 1 or 2 Performers, giving McM a lure, extra poison and the sip of wine.

Ryle seems fluffy to use, he's like a flesh construct with a big fist and gun.  Nurses, Precise and Promises turn him into a wrecking machine. 

I can see Promises being useful for Ryle, but then it's at least 20 stones down the drain (9 for Sidir, 1 for Promises, 9 for Ryle, and at least 1 for an upgrade thereon). If you're hiring Nurses, you're spending at minimum 6 stones for that privilege (+5 for each Nurse after the first), which comes with Precise. I kiiiiiiiind of feel like that's too much invested in one big burst that may still backfire from luck issues. I've learned from the past 2 years playing (moments, to all the vets her, but still) to never invest in a single burst with more than a third of your resources. This is 26 stones, which, generally speaking, is over half your input for hiring (almost always, considering most people play 50 or even less stone games).

Personally, I wouldn't try it but I like that we're sparking discussion here and the direction it's going, because Guild McM should be much more than a ball of debris and refuse rolling slowly and then maybe stopping if not dissolving into madness. There does need to be a more offensive archetype for the master. And yeah, if we must we will surely lose the crutch Austringers (although I totally love them - who in Guild does not?).

Let's see what else we can brew up!

~Lil Kalki

Yes i agree.  He should be seen as an important Guild melee Master.  The models he gets from On the Clock makes for interesting synergies with the other Guild models.

My crutch atm is Sidir and Promises, i can't seem to shift focus away from that awesome upgrade, the Machine Gun isn't too bad either.  Precise + Empty the Magazine :)    

After spending some time on the crew creator it appears worth focusing on poison and no more than one other main synergy, be it burning and Samuel, plastic surgery and Guild Marshals or more simply more poison through Seb, Nurses and Performers, the latter two seem right at home with Plastic Surgery, even if it does nothing for them in game.  Just thinking if you've hired 2 or 3 Stalkers the Handler might be worth considering for extra movement abilities and with some luck raise some Stalkers which fits in rather nicely with a Rezzer Master.

The Lawyer i can't bring myself to like, handing out poison on  :crow seems a bit hit or miss, think i'd rather a Performer for 6ss and keep the  :crow for the Exorcist who's unwilling subjects are lured to their doom by pretty Dancing girls.

• Like 1

This is an attempt at a crew that primarily works with Poison, Plastic Surgery and an Exorcist.  The Exorcists anti trigger Aura could get fiddly hence the Performers helping move models to him and handing out plenty of their own Poison.

Dr McM 5SS cache

On the Clock

Plastic Surgery

Sebastian

Unknowable Pain

Sidir

Promises

Exorcist

Nurse

Witchling Stalker

Performer

Performer

50SS

I tried putting together my own fire and poison build- I was going to call it, "It burns when I pee"- but the investment into multiple styles of play made it feel too chaotic! I guess what I'm trying to say is I like to keep it relatively simple:

Guild Crew - 50 - Scrap

Dr. Douglas McMourning -- 5 Pool
 +Evidence Tampering [2]
 +On the Clock [1]

Brutal Effigy [4]
Executioner [9]
 +Lead Lined Coat [2]
Guild Austringer [6]
Guild Hound [3]
Guild Hound [3]
Nurse [5]
Nurse [5]
Watcher [4]
Witchling Stalker [5]

Lots of activations- lots of good scheme marker generation, and some nice scheme marker shenanigans. Use an austringer or Injection to push models in and place scheme markers near unknowing foes, then have the dogs 1ap charge in and tear them to pieces. The executioner works well with the nurse and the stalker- if he can't get a kill, she can paralyze him, and the stalker can clear the condition, then she can give him +2 to his melee damage. Given optimal circumstances, a executioner who can ignore armor and hard to wound with plus 2 damage and ignoring defensive trigger can get pretty brutal.

Speaking of brutal, the number of brutal effigies on this thread makes me sad. This is damn near an auto include for me in a Doug crew- it gives him the ability to heal almost twice as much from dealing damage as usual. And if he kills something (and when won't he be killing something) he gets to draw a card. Healing and card draw at the same time for 4 stones? There's your totem. And he's not even a peon. Boom.

The watcher is in there because even it it's just the first turn, if there are any scheme generation schemes on the flip, you can do so much with just one. Give it uppers and you've got a wk 8 with flight. Use mcmourning's 0 action (yeah, it'll take some poison damage... unless you dispel with the stalker. :D) and you can get 24" of move and a scheme marker out of the deal. Plant explosives super star.

If you're looking to scrap the austringers, which I respect, btw, then you can either swap him out for a performer, a solid choice that's seen some talk already, or scrap it and the dogs, and grab a johan with a lead lined coat, or a couple wardens. (Depending on your opponent's faction... Arcanists? Johan is a lock...)

I love guild McMourning- I could probably do lists all day, but they're mostly built around strategies rather than gimmicks... My first list would probably be a recon list, as it's got 10 significant activations, some good control, and some serious killing talent. 

ENinja

• Like 2

I like the watcher trick, very nifty.  Out activate and spring it on them :-)  It's not that i dislike Austringers, they are solid and something i'm willing to try out.    

The Witching Handler is getting more attention the more i read her card, the minion movement tricks could be useful if a crew has a couple of stalkers + other strong minions.  A 28" move on the Watcher for e.g.  

In theory poison + burning seems good.  2 extra damage each turn instead of 1, that's if you tag them both on the same model.  I'm hoping to get a game this weekend and i'll be trying out Guild McM for the 1st time.  

Just brainstorming more ideas, how does poison bombing models with the Chihuahua then having Performers lure them into Ama No Zako's hazardous bubble sound?  Moving them just close enough but far enough so you can still shoot without randomisation.  A potential use for schemes that  require the killing of a model. e.g. Assassinate and Murder Protege.  

I just got McMourning for my Guild, do you think that you can do enough poison Shenanigans with just Sebastion, McMourning himself and 1-2 Nurse(s)? Is Zombie Chihuahua necessary or any good in Guild (or at all)? 

I really liked EntrepeNinja's input on Brutal Effigy with the Doctor. Solid points!

When i make up lists with the Chihuahua i usually question if i really need it, am i better off with 2 more ss in the cache or an upgrade or two.  

This is a crew aimed to synergize with poison, burning, movement and raising.  The thought is to have each model directly able to synergize with as many other models as possible.  Oh btw the Chihuahua ended up being sacked in favour of Unknowable Pain and an extra stone unless the crew was not strong on shooting and i'd have more decisions to make.

The Handler, McM and the Performers allow movement Shenanigans (i like your word) as do the Nurses to a degree with uppers.  The Handler gives out Burning, free extra damage is a good thing.  With the right dose of damage and poison Performers can play a role in Rezzing Stalkers by luring and the sip of wine trigger.  Bringing the model into melee with the Handler now on very low wounds.  The Handler gets a bonus for not charging and hopefully we get a Stalker. 2 Nurses and 2 Stalkers make for easier healing then condition removal.  9 models means it has an above average model count and the Performers have a lot of minions around for handing out reactivate when they die.  Would i be safe in saying they have almost as good movement  wrangling as Perdita's crew?

Dr McM

On the Clock

Unknowable Pain

Sebastian

Witchling Handler

Nurse

Nurse

Witchling Stalker

Witchling Stalker

Performer

Performer

50 SS 5 cache

• Like 1

I like that list. I should try it out at some point. Performers are the only one's I need to add to my collection. Glad I really dig the models. 

So Zombie Chihuahua isn't that necessary? That's good, because I don't really like either of the models, if I would have to pick one it'd be the old metal sculpt though.

I think I proxied him in one time, and was supremely underwhelmed. 

I also very infrequently try and build for poison- which may be detrimental to my cause, but I think his survivability is what draws me to the good doctor. He gains enough other things from being guild (stalkers, interact things, strong enforcers/henchmen) that the poison is just a happy addon. That list, however, the one with the handler and the performers does look really cool. ... I did not realize that she had a summon on her. Lol! If you can get her into melee and survive, and then pop some hallucinogens on her, her damage track becomes a very respectable 4/5/7. Positive twist to damage on no charge? /drool

She may have just made her way to the top of my 'to field' list. :)

Especially if you can lure in an enemy that's activated with a performer. Nothing like a nontenured (activated? helpless?) target.

ENinja

edit: Nontenured...? Wth what I trying to say there?!

• Like 1