Sonnia upgrades?

dgraz

I plan on starting Sonnia up pretty soon. I know I want to use Reincarnation on her, but not sure about which two of the other choices to go with...they all seem useful.

Counterspell seems pretty solid for a second choice.....there are a lot of models out there that cast spells. And Grounded Magic seems useful if you don't think you can kill the target model...like on an enemy master.

The Mask is cool, but I'm curious if using the (1) action is more useful than just blasting that model.

Cherufe's Imprint comes with Dampening....which will be great if you face any kind of melee oriented master or henchman.....and the Flame Walls are good for blocking.

Each faction can boast masters that are good for anything.....so if you don't specifically know what master you're facing (which you shouldn't) which way do you go?

Imprint, Counterspell, and Reincarnation for me pretty much every time. I've got no idea which I'll drop when avatar testing comes round. Probably Reincarnation, it would let me play Sonnia a bit further back.

You'll probably drop Reincarnation simply because I'd put a decent wager that Avatar upgrades are Limited. ;)

Honestly, it is going to depend on the strategy and schemes, and which models I want to bring for them.

If I know I am going to be putting out a lot of burning, (or if the opponent declares gremlins, who are notorious for swarming)I'll often take reincarnation, because I know I'll get it off.

IOf I have a strategy where territory control or movement is an issue, then I'll take the fire pillars.

If I know that I have a few big models that probably won't go down easily, I'll take everburning.

I honestly rarely use the counterspell, but that's mostly because my opponents rarely target Sonnia with spells. They made that mistake a couple of times in M1E, and never got forgot it. Your meta may differ.

---------- Post added at 06:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 AM ----------

The Flame pillars are usually too great to pass up on - If you can't kill that big ole beatstick, you just block it instead.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the mask, though. If you have a bunch of burning on the target, chances are it'll be dead sometimes soon anyways.

The mask is useful for if you get 2 -3 burning on a big model that will likely take a couple of turns to kill. not only is it continuing damage, but it ensures that both Sam and Sonnia can focus on that model if they need to next turn without diverting resources. It's a good way of making sure you don't have to get burning on them again next round.

That being said, I usually don't take it, simply because you are right. if I get much burning on a model, they generally don't last till the end of the second turn. So if I am expecting it to kill them, I'm dissapointed.

Each faction can boast masters that are good for anything.....so if you don't specifically know what master you're facing (which you shouldn't) which way do you go?

Reincarnation are an auto include for me personally. Cherufe´s Imprint is a close second. Even though I don´t always use the Flame Wall the option of having it as a tool is to great not to include it.

The third upgrade is a bit more up in the air. Counterspell Aura is a great way to nullify Seamus and his "lure hell", giving you a free anti-lure bubble around Sonnia.

Disrupt Magic is also an great option, as it leaves Samael/Witchling Handler with different upgrade options and I never leave home without Disrupt Magic. Other than that The Thalarian Stone upgrade could be handy if you face off against a very killy opponent, but is usually overkill as Sonnia is quite tough without it anyway.

Also a great combo with Sonnia is to use Francisco/Santiago with the Hermanos De Armas upgrade to either "give" Sonnia an extra 5" move or get her out of a tricky situation. Also Tormenta De Plomo on a family member + Samael´s Flaming bullets make for great crowd control.

Thing about the thalarian stone is that it really isn't a good ability, and if you play well, usually you don't need a boost to defenses anyway. If anything, I'd take badge of office over Thalarian stone every time, because I can negate damage that way, as opposed to flipping cards that either don't help much, or mean I would have been missed on the Df anyway. also, Sonnia like SS, and spending one to use the ability means she has to use cards for her other things.

Like I said, I don't feel that Reincarnate is an auto-take upgrade. I like it, don't get me wrong, but there are definitely situations in which it isn't worth taking. For instance, if my opponent declares guild, I probably am thinking more about defense than about extra witchlings; between the condition removal abilities that guild has, the relatively tough models, and all the killing power that the guild masters have, I'm better off with badge of office 3 times out of 5.

I think Cherufes's Imprint is an auto include as its amazing in every single game. Block LoS, block choke points on the map, force enemy models to spend ap to move around it etc (and the neutering a fair bit of an enemy masters/henchmen power with denying soulstones when they are up close is just gravy on top)

Then its either Reincarnation or Badge of Office depending on what faction im against and what master i think i will face (Reincarnation is used more often but Badge can be worthwhile)

The 3rd one is usually Grounded magic. the aura of Ca suit removal is situationaly amazing and probably an auto include versus Ressers. Ive tried disrupt magic but id rather take it elsewhere if im honest.

I have never taken the Mask, seems kinda meh to me. I find i dont really stack burning that high past 1 or 2 so I'd rather just flameburst again in most situations

Edited by Makrar