Buying guide and puppet assembly efficiency

pupshaman

I just go my PWU base set and want to know which, if any, expansions are must buys before I start assembling the puppets. My concern is that I may assemble some puppets and then never use them, and/or there may be "auto includes" from the expansions which may replace the ones in the base set. This is all with competitive play in mind. Any general list building advice would be appreciated as well. Thank you!

edit: replace the word "expansions" above with "boosters"

Edited by pupshaman

Welcome to the forum :-D

An expansion is on its way, I'm hoping to grab it at Salute 2014. You can find the play test rules for the new puppets on the puppet wars website.

As for general list building advice, you want a reliable core of in-suit puppets (Marshals for Justice, Belles for Seamus). Beyond that there really isn't any must haves, as PW is more flexible and synergistic than Malifaux. You just want to be flexible, and take advantage of any combos you spot. Puppets that do stand out for me are December Acolyte for the card draw and Silurid for his speed and high defence (good counter for Misaki).

Hope that helps, and feel free to share your lists and battle reports :-)

You might be thinking of the expansions from the old version of PW. There are still some in circulation. You could buy them if you want, but they include older pewter models, just like the old base set.

If you want newer models with updated rules, there's the expansion coming that's already been mentioned in this thread.

OK, from a "power gaming" standpoint, which newer plastic models from the boosters should I buy, assuming I'd like to place 1st at a major convention tournament?

The boosters? There are no boosters for Unstitched, only first edition. The puppets in the expansion are still in playtest, though if you were desperate, many of them have metal models from 1st edition (from the boosters). I can't really comment on the new puppets as they won't be set in stone and I haven't gotten much lay with them.

So to reiterate, the only models for Puppet War: Unstitched are the ones found in the starter set.

Basically they streamlined the 1st edition puppet wars (metal puppets) and made it Puppet Wars: Unstitched (plastic). The plastic pieces are a little bigger and generally are better. There are two different sets of rules. The booster packs all have the old rules, and are not supported by the new rules. I am sure they will be eventually. A lot of the booster pack puppets are in the beta teaser thing they have going on the website. So if you buy the old puppets you will be OKAY. You would need to print off new cards for them is all. But they will be coming out in plastic eventually anyways.

Savvy?

I'm tempted to re-base my puppets now :-)

I tried this when I first got my PWU and if I remember correctly the new PWU bases sit exactly within the standard 30mm bases. So you could theoretically just magnetize the bottom of your existing bases or use blu-tack, etc and not need to rebase.

• Like 1

I tried this when I first got my PWU and if I remember correctly the new PWU bases sit exactly within the standard 30mm bases. So you could theoretically just magnetize the bottom of your existing bases or use blu-tack, etc and not need to rebase.

This is what I did. I also painted the rim of the 30mm base to the basic colors of the player counters (yellow, green etc.) so that you can instantly see which say Silurid belongs to you and which one is the enemy.

pw.jpg

By the way, do I need to assemble all 44 models, or are there some that can stay on the sprues, assuming 2 player games?

Well considering you only really need 8 models per player, more than half can stay on the sprue. That said, naturally you'll want variety, so two of each pawn in your draft pool is plenty to get started. I've found you only need three of a model if a pawn is popular with both players or if you want to experiment.

Taking three of the same pawn does limit you (a third of your toy box focussed on one set of tools), so if you did there would need to be a good reason. I can see three Death Marshals working well with Lady Justice, for example, but three Executioners might be overkill (still, could be fun). Taking three of the same out of suit puppet might be risky, especially if it has a high Animation Requirement (I have trouble animating one Silurid, never mind three).

At the end of the day it's nice that the starter gives you plenty to experiment with. I can't wait for the expansion. So many puppets! :-D

Edit: No one post, this forum is currently on 6,666 posts. If we wait 66 days then the world will turn cuddly.

Edited by ThePandaDirector

Just a few that I have had good results with;

Guild Austringers (especially with Lady justice, and/or Lucius), Molemen (Durable and mobile, especially with Arcanist Masters ignoring the :tomes in their animation), Razorspine Rattlers (throwing around multiple Paralyzed per turn is very nice, especially with Arcanist Masters ignoring the :tomes for animation), and Ronin (easy animations, good movement and a great upgrade). Witchling Stalkers and Nurses can also be nice in multiples to repair lost stitches and play the attrition game.