Lady Justice List at 50ss

knghtpiper

Conversely you should ALWAYS play as if the game will go on another turn. You shouldn't count on it, but you need to assume it will. I've seen too many games to count won and lost because a player assumed the game wouldn't go on another turn, and didn't position his models to best effect, or didn't take actions that would set them up for the next turn, and then when the game did go on they got caught flat footed and handed the game to the opponent.

If you are playing competitively always try to end the game by turn 5, but always play like the game is going to go on.

Its about risk/reward. If I can break a stalemate and go up, on the basis that I probably lose if turn 6 comes up as I have over extended, then I will always go for the win despite the risk.

Lady J is tempting, but I always play the melee master in other games. Really getting her box to add to my fledging mc mourning crew as plastic surgery and the judge is too giggle worthy to pass up...

Saying that, she gets a tough wrap. 'Last rites' from 'justice unleashed' is probably the best counter to Ramos/Nicodemus we have really. Those are the two masters I look across the table when I am fielding Perdita at the moment and go ''oh no'' so I am interested in anti summoning tech she brings at the very least.

Ah I see what he was getting at now.  Thank you.  Remembering to play to turn six or more is something I need to work, I have been lucky that most of my games have ended on turn 5, which is why I have yet to loose with Lady J (but getting more come from behind draws than victories) so the point is taken.  Still was epic to see Lady J taking on several monsters and Marcus at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to get another game in yesterday.  Played against Hamelin the Plagued so that was nice getting brawl with a new master.  So far I have played against, Mei Feng, Marcus, and Hamelin now.

50 soulstones with me taking Lady Justice as my master.

Strategy:  Turf War (It was originally Reconnoiter, but my opponent let me redraw as I have played that strategy the last two games.)

Schemes:  Breakthrough, Assassinate, Murder Protege, and Frame for Murder.

I took Assassinate because I figured with Lady J and the firepower I could bring I could kill Hamelin and Line in the Sand.

I forget to ask what my opponent took, but I am pretty sure that Assassinate was one of his schemes and maybe Frame for Murder. 

The Lists 

My Opponents list

Hamelin

-The Plague

-Tools of the Tyrant

-The Pipes

The Stolen

Nix

-Hollow

-Infectious Memoires

Rat Catcher x2

Malifaux Rats x3

Killjoy

2 soulstones in the pool

My lIst

Lady J

Scales of Justice

The Judge

-Lead lined coat

Santana Ortega

-Rapid Fire (I love this upgrade)

Death Marshals x3

Guild Riflemen x2

4 soulstones in my pool

The game:

Highlights for my opponent, using obey to have a death marshal kill a rifleman and then Lady J to kill that same death marshal (served the bugger right I guess).  Other than that not much went right for him.  He reserved Killjoy and brought him right in front of Lady J who killed him in melee in turn two.  He was able to blight lady j as I could not win a duel against the rats and with the ratcatchers doing the reactivation stuff Lady J was being attacked by the rats very quickly.  (I need to remember that when i do not charge i get the positive flip with the greatsword which would have helped me with some of the duels.)

In the end Lady J would be tanking again with most his crew trying to blight her.  Nix has an action that lets him do damage equal to the amount of blighted conditions a figure has, which was his endgame.  However each turn I won initiative and with so few soulstones he could not try to cheat for initiative.  I would then activate Lady J first and use Restore natural balance to clear her blighted conditions each turn.  Have a 13 in my hand each turn helped and that action pretty much made the game for me.  After doing that 3 turns in a row and after having Hamelin killed by turn 3, followed at the beginning of turn 4 when I used Restore natural order to get rid of 10 blighted conditions, he called the game.  Lady j still had two activations left  and was in position to kill the two ratcatchers, the Judge was ready to go into combat with her, Santana and the last rifleman were both ready to drop or severally hurt Nix, and the death marshals where about to get me line in the sand, which would give me a score he would not be able to come back from.  Plus he wanted to play heroclick and get this game out of his head, not that I could blame him.

Final Score:  5 to 2, at the beginning of turn 4.

Thoughts:

Lady J:  Rocked the game again, she had 7 wounds left at the end of the game and between Juggernaut and restore natural balance she basically prevented him from doing his thing for the entire game.  Plus killing Killjoy in one turn was fun.  

The Judge:  He did well in using stand for Judgement to bring Santana and a death marshal up closer to the middle of the board.  He also killed Hamelin and getting me Assassinate.  Lead lined Coat was not necessary for this game.

Santana:  She was great again, with rapid fire, she is a monster once she gets into position, which the Judge helps with.  She brought Hamelin down to 2 wounds, and hurt the ratcatchers.  

Death marshals:  Dropped off the markers for line in the sand and plinked wounds with shooting.  Hamilen's obey had me scared of getting too close and they where out of position to Pine Box anyone this game.

Riflemen:  They where a bit out of this match, one getting killed turn one, the other than killing Hamelin the first time, who then used his stolen to bring himself back from the dead.  But still they have preformed well in other games so they get a mulligan for this one.

Scales:  He was nice for the activation and for getting me another card when I was low.  I need to keep him closer to the group as he can give a willpower boost which would have helped with this match.

In this game, I felt that my opponent (besides forgetting Hamilen's zero action) put to many upgrades on Hamilen.  Killing Killjoy early on put more pressure on him and made him swarm Lady J.  Obey was interesting, it felt bad loosing two guys to my own people, but obey did only worked 3 times for the entire game and with shooting Hamelin was not that hard to kill.  I felt kind of bad with using Restore natural balance each turn as it seems that Lady J is a hard counter to Hamelin.  I have had games where nothing I try with an army/crew/force never works and I hate that, so I do not like doing it to others.

I never felt that I lost control of the game which was is a first for me, but it left nice. I think I am going to give McCabe a run next time I play.  Lady J has been great, but I am getting a good handle on how to use her or so I think, so I want to try McCabe now and give her a break.  

I fear you made a rules mistake in your last game. Restore Natural Order is a great spell and can hinder Hamelin something awful. But it's a Pulse originating from Lady Justice and thus doesn't affect her. It clears any conditions BUT those on the Lady herself.

Hamelin's tactic to riddle her with Plague works just fine to kill her early and then go after her crew. That's why you bring a Witchling Stalker even if you play Lady Justice.

No reason to. We're all learning. I get the impression that by now you have a good grasp of the game.

For the record, that's no reason to feel silly. By all means, tell him.

And I had missed that too. Never came up, as I tend not to deal with conditions all that often, but I still missed it.

For the record, that's no reason to feel silly. By all means, tell him.

And I had missed that too. Never came up, as I tend not to deal with conditions all that often, but I still missed it.

Whoa, did I say that wrong? I meant what Dracomax said. No reason to feel silly, not no reason to tell him. Sorry if that translated badly, I'm no native speaker. Please disregard my post if that was ambiguous.

Whoa, did I say that wrong? I meant what Dracomax said. No reason to feel silly, not no reason to tell him. Sorry if that translated badly, I'm no native speaker. Please disregard my post if that was ambiguous.

Not wrong, so much as the statement was not very specific as to which part it was referring to. Not a big deal, and I'm sure everyone would have taken what you meant, but  I like to remove ambiguity.

Not a big deal, just trying to avoid any excuse for jackassery.

Not a big deal, and I'm sure everyone would have taken what you meant, but  I like to remove ambiguity.

Well, thanks for that, I appreciate it! Ambiguity is the bane of written communication, especially in a foreign language.

No worries Dirial, I just hate having "doh" moments like that, especially when they have such a huge affect on the game.  Hopefully my opponent and I can get a rematch in soon and have a closer game and one that will be more enjoyable for him, as that game was not fun for him in the last 2 turns.  Live and learn.

• 2 weeks later...

So I gave Lady J her break yesterday and broke out McCabe.  Got a 30 ss match against Sonia, Samuel, and three witching stalkers.  Sonnia had upgrades but none of them really mattered in this game.  My list was McCabe (with badge of speed), Sidir, a pathfinder, a rifleman, and two wastrels.  No details this time around sorry, I forgot to do write down stuff this time around.  

What I remember, the pathfinder did work, killing two withchings, and finishing off Samuel and Sonnia.  I got luck when my negative flips for damage still produced severe and moderate damage.  Also with the pathfinder having nimble from badge of speed he was able to move then shoot twice which was very nice.  Also for having the rifleman focus and then move up to get into shoot position was a nice bonus too.   

I won 3-1 but I also wiped out my opponent's crew.

Thoughts:

McCabe:  The horse was neat and it was cool having him run around tossing the badge of speed around.  It feels odd playing with him compared to Lady J but I like him, I wonder if barbs is a worthwhile investment as it felt weird having a shooting attack that does not wound.  But it was nice handing out slow to is group as when I  used the netgun the where all bunched up.   

Sidir:  Got me the bodyguard points so huzzah for him.  But I have a talent for getting him into positions when he is attacked and I draw poorly for his defense and I have low card to cheat with, that being said he does take a beating and still makes.    

Pathfinder:  This guy did full grown man work.  Killed two witching outright and finished off Sonnia and Samuel to sweep the crew.  The trap I summoned actally did some good work because I hid behind it and he never tried getting close to the pathfinder.  This let him get some good shots in.  I liked the model and I am really happy how he did in game.  Plus out from the shadows gave him a good position.

Rifleman:  Killed a withching, got blasted by Sonnia, but with nimble via badge of speed he is very nice.

Wastrels:  I misused them, they stayed alive which is nice, but I did not realized that they only have a 4 walk.  I need more games with them to get a better feel.

One thing that surprised me was that Sonnia has a low defense and Samael does not to seem to have that many wounds.

Yeah, I think part of the way they were designed to work is for them not to even be targettable for the first half of the game, firing from behind 2" walls and such. Once you can target them, they better have some defensive buffs up. Fransisco, fire wall, Guardian protect, and adding the +2 to Df are also used often when they might be in danger.

TL;DR:They have defenses, they just require setup.

New game time!

Got my first game against a resurrectionists master.

It was against Nicodem at 50ss.  This was the final game for my guild crew for a while as they are getting painted by another guy.  (Infinity the game has put me into painting fatigue)  So for now my Misaki crew will be getting game time.  But on to the game.

Strategy: Turf War

Schemes:

Line in the sand (me)

Protect Territory (me)

Frame for Murder (my opponent)

We also had Deliver a message and Breakthrough but I forgot what his other one was.

Lists

Me

Lady Justice

Flames of the pit

Justice Unleashed

Judge

Santana

Hair Trigger

Death Marshal x3

Riflemen x2

Scales of Justice

His List

Nicodem

Reaper Grin

Maniacal Laugh

Undertaker

Mortemer 

My favorite shovel

Rogue Necromancy

The Hanged

Punk Zombie

Punk Zombie

He would raise 2 more Punk Zombies and Flesh construct.  In the course of the game.

The Game

It was interesting, after playing at a new store I have a feeling that most of the games I have played have not had enough terrain.  Of course trying to compete with the 40k guys for terrain does not help, but it is something that I will try to work on. 

The theme of the game was he used terrain very, he used to it to avoid my shooting and to get his models into combat with mine early on.  He got frame for murder early one when Lady J killed one of his Punk zombies.  After that my deck seemed to hate me.  Because  in the next turn 2 punk zombies using flurry got lady j down to 3 wounds, yep I lost 6 melee fights in a row.  I kept drawing horrible cards for the defense and he kept getting high cards or he cheated and for that turn my hand was crap. Nicodem wold kill her with a ranged attack.  Sometimes I really wish her defense was a little higher, but oh well.  The Rouge Necromancy and the Hanged where horrible as in horrible for me.  I need to figure out a way to handle a hanged.    

This was the first game where I felt that I could not do anything, my opponent did a good job of using the terrain to neuter my shooting and he just better in melee than I did.  At the end of turn 4 I gave up as I lost Lady J my three Death marshals and the judge was getting pounded by the flesh construct.  The riflemen did nothing as by the time they where in range of any thing everything but my riflemen and scales where in melee.  When I tired to randomize into combat I kept hitting my own guys usually losing by one.  For example hit the judge on a five and the flesh construct got a six, or a death marshal getting a 11 and a punk zombie getting a 12.

I think I could have pick better for the schemes, but with turf war they seemed to work in my head at the time.  I also wonder if I should have concentrated on one flank instead of spreading out.

One of my issues with games is that when I get a bad turn, I can get despondent and defeatist which affects my tactical choices.  And I know this happened.  It is a thing i also need to work on.  But on the other had I have played about 8 games of Malifaux and up to then lost none and I tabled my opponent in last game which is something I have never done with any of the other games I have played.  So I need to man up and not complain for feel bad when I have a bad game.  

But great props to my opponent he explained everything he did, gave me advice, and was great person to play against so that was win.  

Well that is all for this time.  The guild gets a break and Ten Thunders will get some play time.  Once I get the guild back I will post pictures.