Once Per Activation

Fireuser

Question

If I have a model with a once per activation ability, that I use on that models activation, can another model use obey during their activation and use the ability?

I know that they cannot use the ability a second time as per the FAQ, but it was not clear to me if this scenario could still happen.

Thanks

• Answers 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

A model being being obeyed is not Activating. Everyone who plays this game can understand that.

SSk almost has it right but it can be obeyed what he is describing is once a turn. which is clearly defined in the FAQ.

i am saying that the model has activated has been though its cleanup step saying hey i went. then gaining reactivate and saying oh hey i just tried using this cool ability but i already did that. now if some OTHER model wants to tell me what to do that is fine but i wont do it myself.

and @ausplosins It has NEVER come up in a game of mine EVER but if it did clarification would be nice. just like once per turn is CLARIFIED.

But dont get me wrong i am just playing devils advocate in this corner case cause i dont really if ever see this happening

I guess the easiest way for me to describe it is Once per turn but can be obeyed.

Toodles

If a model can't use its "once per activation" during his next activation the same turn, why does he get to do it the next turn?

They're exactly the same thing.

The last activation ended, he started a new one. There is no step during the end phase or startup phase next turn where they refresh once per activation.

I'm sorry, but I have to question your reading comprehension. Do you know what the word "per" means?

Once per activation means once each activation. Regardless of which turn it is. You are confusing the terms "turn" and "activation" by linking them together closely.

It's even in the rulebook.

Page 53 (big book) "a model with the reactivate condition is available to be activated one additional time during this turn, as if it had not already taken its activation."

Emphasis mine.

It's in the definition of reactivate. You get a second activation, but play it just the same as if it was a first activation. Because there is no difference. They're separate entities. Nowhere does it say "once per activation carries on until the end of turn".

They even spelled it out to avoid confusion.

Also, you really think its necessary to create a rule that's almost the same as once per turn but with a loophole to allow obeying? M2E har streamlined the rules, this is the opposite.

Edited by Carasz
Forgot a quote mark

I'm sorry, but I have to question your reading comprehension. Do you know what the word "per" means?

Page 53 (big book) "a model with the reactivate condition is available to be activated one additional time during this turn, as if it had not already taken its activation."

See i knew i was missing something important hence i said where is my rule book then i would have conceded the point. But if reactivate did not have that wonderful clause which you bolded for us i would be quite right.

Also i would take offense at the Reading comprehension slap, but I keep smiling at it. I guess i should thank you for having that Rulebook right on hand Flipping through those pages like a mad fiend saying NOOOOO HE MUST BE WRONG. which i do. Thank you.

See i knew i was missing something important hence i said where is my rule book then i would have conceded the point. But if reactivate did not have that wonderful clause which you bolded for us i would be quite right.

Also i would take offense at the Reading comprehension slap, but I keep smiling at it. I guess i should thank you for having that Rulebook right on hand Flipping through those pages like a mad fiend saying NOOOOO HE MUST BE WRONG. which i do. Thank you.

I think you are interpreting me wrong. I'm sorry I come off so strong. I'm not trying to provoke you. It's not about having the rulebook close by. Maybe I've learnt my grammar wrong, but it seems to me the mistake you make is such a basic one, due to language rather than rules. But English is my second language, and I've learnt that I'd rather be told I'm wrong so I can correct myself than live in ignorance.

I don't agree that they needed the bolded clause to make it work. I feel the language is clear without it, but it is added to foolproof the rule. And it seems it was good they did, because obviously people interpret it differently from each other, you and me being the prime examples.

Just to clarify, you interpret "once per activation" as "once each activation unless the model already activated once this turn and used it during the last activation"? The italicized part is the clause that I feel you are adding to the rules.

Why I ask is because you've never refuted my argument that "every activation is a separate activation" with something other than saying its not correct.

Edit: You even said in a post "model has been through its cleanup step" (paraphrasing).

By your own logic, doesn't that mean that the "once per turn" limit should have been cleaned up?

I will say it clearly.

Why is a second activation during the same turn not a completely new activation?

Why does the "once per activation" limits carry over from one activation to another just because they're during the same turn?

Just answer me these two questions from your perspective and I will be happy.

To me, the language is clear. New activation, new "once per activation". Regardless of a clause in reactivate. I just can't see how you can draw your conclusions from that. I just feel your arguments are full of holes. Please enlighten me.

I'm sorry for any spelling mistakes, touch screen and autocorrect makes it difficult sometimes.

As a side note, nice catch on (0) actions, Thaarup! That makes once per activation pretty commonplace.

Edited by Carasz

I think you are interpreting me wrong. I'm sorry I come off so strong. I'm not trying to provoke you. It's not about having the rulebook close by. Maybe I've learnt my grammar wrong, but it seems to me the mistake you make is such a basic one, due to language rather than rules. But English is my second language, and I've learnt that I'd rather be told I'm wrong so I can correct myself than live in ignorance.

I don't agree that they needed the bolded clause to make it work. I feel the language is clear without it, but it is added to foolproof the rule. And it seems it was good they did, because obviously people interpret it differently from each other, you and me being the prime examples.

Just to clarify, you interpret "once per activation" as "once each activation unless the model already activated once this turn and used it during the last activation"? The italicized part is the clause that I feel you are adding to the rules.

Why I ask is because you've never refuted my argument that "every activation is a separate activation" with something other than saying its not correct.

Edit: You even said in a post "model has been through its cleanup step" (paraphrasing).

By your own logic, doesn't that mean that the "once per turn" limit should have been cleaned up?

I will say it clearly.

Why is a second activation during the same turn not a completely new activation?

Why does the "once per activation" limits carry over from one activation to another just because they're during the same turn?

Just answer me these two questions from your perspective and I will be happy.

To me, the language is clear. New activation, new "once per activation". Regardless of a clause in reactivate. I just can't see how you can draw your conclusions from that. I just feel your arguments are full of holes. Please enlighten me.

I'm sorry for any spelling mistakes, touch screen and autocorrect makes it difficult sometimes.

As a side note, nice catch on (0) actions, Thaarup! That makes once per activation pretty commonplace.

Edited by Carasz

Bam to both your questions.

Now a Question to you What Besides the Reactivate Condition allows a model a second activation?

Echoes of the void does but also has the Clause does not count as the models activation

Same with Alpha.

So Why would you be able to activate again with out said things above?

Also things like the hunter's Ambush: This model’s Attack flips gain + against targets that have not Activated during this Turn.

or the wardens Pursue: This model adds +R to its final duel total against models that have already Activated this turn.

If you gain reactivate and have gone once already these abilities act in different ways.

But according to you with "If a model can't use its "once per activation" during his next activation the same turn, why does he get to do it the next turn?

The last activation ended, he started a new one. There is no step during the end phase or startup phase next turn where they refresh once per activation. "

the Warden would always have a ram after turn 1 and the hunter would never get a + so at some point in time before the beginning of the next turn the game says Hey slates clean you all have not activated.

So clearly they have activated and without the Bolded clause or the ones in Alpha and Echoes. they would NOT be able to use there once per Activation.

But again You have Shown me the way with the rule book (sadly mine is at my lgs atm.)

I was Wrong and i admit that. any other questions?

Bam to both your questions.

Now a Question to you What Besides the Reactivate Condition allows a model a second activation?

Echoes of the void does but also has the Clause does not count as the models activation

Same with Alpha.

So Why would you be able to activate again with out said things above?

Also things like the hunter's Ambush: This model’s Attack flips gain + against targets that have not Activated during this Turn.

or the wardens Pursue: This model adds +R to its final duel total against models that have already Activated this turn.

If you gain reactivate and have gone once already these abilities act in different ways.

But according to you with "If a model can't use its "once per activation" during his next activation the same turn, why does he get to do it the next turn?

The last activation ended, he started a new one. There is no step during the end phase or startup phase next turn where they refresh once per activation. "

the Warden would always have a ram after turn 1 and the hunter would never get a + so at some point in time before the beginning of the next turn the game says Hey slates clean you all have not activated.

So clearly they have activated and without the Bolded clause or the ones in Alpha and Echoes. they would NOT be able to use there once per Activation.

But again You have Shown me the way with the rule book (sadly mine is at my lgs atm.)

I was Wrong and i admit that. any other questions?

After all that's been posted, did we get to a consensus that the once per activation action can be taken twice in the same turn if the model gains reactivate AND if the model is obeyed it can also take that action regardless if the model activated during the turn or not?

Example; the RN has a ranged Acid attack that is once per activation but I have also had the RN shoot it again when using Molly's zero action that allows a Horror to perform a 1 action. Is this legal? This thread has moved in different directions and I am still unsure if I have been doing that correctly.

After all that's been posted, did we get to a consensus that the once per activation action can be taken twice in the same turn if the model gains reactivate AND if the model is obeyed it can also take that action regardless if the model activated during the turn or not?

Example; the RN has a ranged Acid attack that is once per activation but I have also had the RN shoot it again when using Molly's zero action that allows a Horror to perform a 1 action. Is this legal? This thread has moved in different directions and I am still unsure if I have been doing that correctly.