Nothing Beast - is he Tara exclusive?

graeme27uk

• 2 weeks later...

Both Hamelin and Levi vastly prefer Killjoy for the purpose of smashing things to bits - his delivery mechanism makes him perfect for either of them. Levi's obviously also pretty fond of Desolation Engines in that role. The Viks can also run with low cards to an extent, but Bishop is a better beater/controller, and things die much too fast for the Beast to keep anything buried.

I use The NB pretty much the same way as other have used the Deso Engine and Killjoy. Bury him with Fast and let him lie in wait until it's time to crush face, then once he's done what he needs to do bury him again. If he's taken damage heal him up while buried with ya Wretches. Rinse and repeat. This has worked pretty well for me, I often give him Scramble as well just to give him that extra threat range but Oathkeeper could also work nicely.

His Truth in Nothingness cannot be overlooked. Coupled with the right crew and timed appropriately it is fantastic. Also his Obliterate is so powerful that I actually sometimes put him into the fight a little earlier in the turn just to tie things up. For his cost he is quite good. He serves a role of often being my anti-objective model killing machine. 3" range on his Ca is nothing to ignore (especially if Tara is giving him fast).

With all this said, you need to watch what he goes up against as there are some good counters to him due to his low wounds.

• Like 1

Yeah, the thing that gets me about the Nothing Beast is that he is a 10 SS model with 3 attacks a round. His attack is quite strong, his Incorporeal lets him easily get to good targets, and his Void power lets him really counter opposing attacks quite well.

The main weakness of his attack is the min damage of 2. Focus can help with this, I suppose. Defense wise, 7 Wds and Incorporeal is not shabby, but does fall quickly to the wrong enemies. On the other hand, it only takes ditching a few weak cards from your hand to get his Defense to a very good place, so as long as he isn't ambushed at the top of the round, certain attackers will struggle quite a bit with him.

I think of the Desolation Engine and Killjoy more as missiles you send into the midst of the enemy crew to do as much carnage as possible. The Nothing Beast is more of a hunter that can eliminate key threats. He's also 2-3 SS cheaper than the others, which is also worth keeping in mind.

Acrivate Tara, Bury him giving him fast in the process

reactivate tara last unbury the nothung beast and make the intended target fast giving it -2wp.

Now charge the target and hit it 4 times with an effective CA of 9 wrecking most models in one attack.

Get initiative (should be doable due to a + to initiative) bury the NB again

rinse repeat...

Acrivate Tara, Bury him giving him fast in the process

reactivate tara last unbury the nothung beast and make the intended target fast giving it -2wp.

Now charge the target and hit it 4 times with an effective CA of 9 wrecking most models in one attack.

Get initiative (should be doable due to a + to initiative) bury the NB again

rinse repeat...

I would recomend not using tara to bury him. Remember that the wording on her buries say whenever a model dies , the buried model pops up in base contact, which can throw cthullu into the wrong place at the wrong time. NB is an ambush predator use him to finish off wounded models, pounce on and destroy weaker models, or late turn tarpit tank ( as long as something can give him suppourt) Tara can still ping him for fast though.

I would recomend not using tara to bury him. Remember that the wording on her buries say whenever a model dies , the buried model pops up in base contact, which can throw cthullu into the wrong place at the wrong time. NB is an ambush predator use him to finish off wounded models, pounce on and destroy weaker models, or late turn tarpit tank ( as long as something can give him suppourt) Tara can still ping him for fast though.

I tend to use Tara to Bury somebody like Bishop with Fast first, then give NB fast and bury him with a Death Marshall, this way if Bishop pops out due to Tara's bury he can actually take some beating before going down and this leaves the NB ready to jump out as and when Tara want's him too.

I don't think the NB is good for anyone but Tara. He's is very killy, but without the unbury/bury + discard tricks, he's a low def model. I mean, you could take him in a Victory list or a Hamlin, but he'd have to stay out of harms way for like 3 turns and show up turn 3/4 and start smashing. Throw him out turn 1/2, and fail to win the initiative, you'll be putting him back in your case when people realize he's def 3.

I don't think the NB is good for anyone but Tara. He's is very killy, but without the unbury/bury + discard tricks, he's a low def model. I mean, you could take him in a Victory list or a Hamlin, but he'd have to stay out of harms way for like 3 turns and show up turn 3/4 and start smashing. Throw him out turn 1/2, and fail to win the initiative, you'll be putting him back in your case when people realize he's def 3.

Is he really that low Def? Unless you have a crew in which you are drawing extra cards, I've thought it would be pretty easy for him to be at average to above average defense within the first activation or two of the turn, and can then get to exceptional levels by later in the turn. He still has his weaknesses, but I'm not sure they are quite as extra as seems to be suggested.