Pandora vs. Orphelia (help!)

BaronGreenback

Hi all

I got face-rolled by Pandora yesterday (Pandora (+totem), Doppelgänger Candy, 3 x Sorrows, Silurid). My Orphelia crew just didn't seem to be able to deal with the Wp attacks and the harmless and terror Wp duels.

Key lessons for me were:

- The Liquid Bravery (+2 Wp) only works on minions (so was useless for Kin, Lenny and the Young Bayou ( I didn't realise this at the time). Stubborn was also useless as most of the attacks had set damage, so the - on the damage flip was not usable.

Did I miss anything with this?

- Lennys protective bubble which reduces damage by 1 is not very useful when the damage is from multiple sources, as if they are all 1 then (i.e. multiple Sorrows and Pandora), there is no reduction.

Is this correct? Is the damage reduction per source or the total damage?

- Lennys Wp 1 means he is going to die badly to willpower duels.

Is there anything you can do about this?

Any advice on crew selection / upgrades or tactics if I face Pandora again?

Cheers

If the pandora player loads up on the poltergeist and sorrows, kill them. Sorrows are stupid easy to kill. From my experience if a pandora player brings lots of sorrows and they cluster something, that thing is going to die. In an early play test game I had pandora and three sorrows kill Mei Feng and a rail golem from full in one turn, but only because he ran right into a cluster of them and then attacked pandora and not the sorrows.

Ophelia can hold her own against Pandora herself, so if you see a list full of the Geist and sorrows priority 1 is to kill those. It will drop Pandora's ability to do dmg, kill her activations, and reduce what models she had to accomplish vp conditions.

If the pandora player loads up on the poltergeist and sorrows, kill them. Sorrows are stupid easy to kill. From my experience if a pandora player brings lots of sorrows and they cluster something, that thing is going to die. In an early play test game I had pandora and three sorrows kill Mei Feng and a rail golem from full in one turn, but only because he ran right into a cluster of them and then attacked pandora and not the sorrows.

Ophelia can hold her own against Pandora herself, so if you see a list full of the Geist and sorrows priority 1 is to kill those. It will drop Pandora's ability to do dmg, kill her activations, and reduce what models she had to accomplish vp conditions.

Cheers Fetid

Yes if i did it again I would take Rami (maybe with student of conflict for fast) then try and focus sniper the sorrows.

Current rulings state the Misery damage is from separate sources, so three miseries is 1 point, 1 point, 1 point instead of three. That said, fragging the Sorrows will make things leagues easier. If you have to start someone near Candy, always pick Lenny what with Candy handing out conditions and all.

Take Ophelia. Give Ophelia LB. Remember, as Silas points out, how stubborn works. Run Ophelia forward and laugh. Pandora will be hard pressed to connect with Ophelia, and even if she does she's not going to be getting any heavy lifting done because she can't use the triggers that most of Ophelia's damage depends on. As long as you take out her conventional threats, teddies and Kade, there's next to jack all she can do. Avoid biting the odd paralysis and you should be gold.

Take Lenny anyways. He's still worth it.

On my Guild upgrade, Stubborn is a :-fate on Attack flips targeting Wp, not damage flips. It won't affect as many of Pandora's abilities, but it does make a couple of them difficult.

Sorry yes your right its a minus flip to the attack flip, but doesn't help if she uses the spell that makes you Wp test against 14 as this spell has no attack flip to modify.... So at Wp 6 if you flip a 7 or lower then you take the damage, and if your in range of the sorrows etc then this increases etc. Much worse for poor Lenny who at Wp 1 needs a 13 or Red J. Likewise Young LaCroix on Wp 3 are also toast. I didn't help that I had pulled Black Joker, 1 ,2, 3, 4, 5, for my hand. Excellent for poker, lousy for Malifaux.

I made several mistakes in the game but specifically these four were critical to my centre collapsing:

- I thought they would all get +2Wp from LB. They don't as they weren't Minions.

- I thought they would get damage reduction from Lenny, but they didn't because it was multiple sources.

- I thought stubborn would protect Ophelia, its didn't from the main spell he was using as there was no attack flip.

- Finally, most importantly, I didn't know that the sorrows would give damage when Pandora damaged my guys.

Any way the first three lessons are worth knowing for all future fights, the fourth lesson is specific to Pandora and her Sorrows.

Ill be better next time.'praemonitus, praemunitus' as they say!