Knowing when to use Plastic cement vs Super glue

Hagisman

Just going through the Body of Evidence box set. A few people I know talk about how plastic cement can make joints and contact points bind very strongly. So I gave it a whirl.

I have now realized that I might want to pick and choose when to use super glue vs cement.

For instance:

Sebastian's hand/bone saw - very small contact point, very thin. Applying super glue recommended because when applying pressure with cement plastic bent out of shape.

Canine remains - large area. Contact points inside model. Liquid cement.

Anyone else find this to be helpful? I used to just stick to one type, but plan on switching depending on situation.

I just about always use superglue...i recently tried to use plastic cement on the seamus crew.... and tbh... i hated it.... took forever to finally grab...was an awful mess ... and just smells horrid.... admittedly i dont have alot of experience using plastic cement... but ive been able to accomplish everything up til this point with good old cyanoacrylate, and if needed some CA accelerant...

--Woe

I find I don't need to apply that much pressure when using poly cement - no more than superglue anyway. The poly cement melts a thin layer of plastic on each piece of the join, so I'm just smooshing together two semi-liquid-plastic surfaces.

I find Liquid Poly to be much cleaner than either superglue or squirtable polystyrene cement, because it has the consistency of water and therefore any potential excess is practically invisible.

I'd expect the join on thin contact points to be stronger after using polystyrene cement than superglue - the thin join could potentially be very brittle?

I'd expect the join on thin contact points to be stronger after using polystyrene cement than superglue - the thin join could potentially be very brittle?

The problem was due to the groove melting away very fast and my hand shaking didn't help. It partially adhered, but it didn't catch so when I let go it was dangling. :(

The problem was due to the groove melting away very fast and my hand shaking didn't help. It partially adhered, but it didn't catch so when I let go it was dangling. :(

Brace your hands on the desk instead of holding them up in the air? The less shaking, the better, and usually the less plastic cement, the better. Less is more. Dab it on with a toothpick or pin after having already dry-fitted the pieces into place. Only needs to be applied to one piece, not both.

• 2 weeks later...

The only CA I have really found to be CA+, is Zap a Gap. Like other CAs it can be found in thin or thick viscosities depending on your preference, but it is formulated to work better on "oily" surfaces and seems much less brittle than normal CAs. For certain things, like gluing rare earth magnets, it's the only thing I use, although will try to use it on everything else.

As far as plastic glue, I use Testors with the needle tip, and have never had an issue.